Jump to content
Koke

We need to talk about Wilfred Ndidi

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Nobody told me we were calling him Wolf!

 

Brilliant idea, hope it catches on.  Think of the chants!  We could have chants with howls in them

Good shout…. I approve of this comment 

 

There are never enough Wolfs about!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

His use of the ball is Championship level.

 

In regards to physicality, athleticism, defensive capabilities and effort level is everything you want. However there’s no point to all that if you can’t perform the main role of a midfielder in a modern day side, which is be composed on the ball and have a confident passing range. The difference between him and Kante is that when N’Golo wins the ball, he doesn’t give it straight back. 

 

He needs to be replaced for the foreseeable future by a more creative player so he can develop that side of his game, whilst being away from the spotlight and not getting slammed for piss poor football. 

Yeah, good luck with that. As if the type of player you have in mind grows up on trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Usafox1 said:

That's because when your duty is to win the ball back your're not always going to be in good position to make a perfect pass after recovering the ball. Maddison has to be one of the most overrated  midfielders ever. Where are the assists and  through balls ?He has too much of the ball for the paltry returns he has this yr. He should be making big plays, if he can't then put okazaki back and lets just sweat out every game and play long ball.

Mate, Maddison has created 8 major chances in 15 games. Mahrez by comparison created an average of 13.25 big chances in 38 games over his full PL seasons with Leicester. Is it his fault that nobody is ever on the end of his crosses or the other forward players miss sitters?

 

Your statement there is genuinely baffling.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Yeah, good luck with that. As if the type of player you have in mind grows up on trees.

It’s called the transfer window, get a more creative player rather than a defensive minded midfielder and let Ndidi develop that side of his game whilst competing with Papy for the more defensive role of the 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GingerrrFox said:

It’s called the transfer window, get a more creative player rather than a defensive minded midfielder and let Ndidi develop that side of his game whilst competing with Papy for the more defensive role of the 2.

they are still hard to find go for a shit load of money and are wanted by the big boys so a club like us is going to have to get very lucky with a gamble or have someone come through the academy 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

It’s called the transfer window, get a more creative player rather than a defensive minded midfielder and let Ndidi develop that side of his game whilst competing with Papy for the more defensive role of the 2.

I imagine our recruitment team won't know what to think. You come up with a brilliant plan and then stick it on a public forum where all the other teams can see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stadt said:

"If he improves his passing" what do you think he's been doing in training for almost two years? If players improved so easily every footballer on the planet would be outstanding. 

Have to agree sadly. I think it's likely to be a weakness in his game that you just have to work around. Get him to keep it simple and don't rely on it. As it is, we play a system where he is likely to need to pass better than he can for it to be effective - either change the system or drop him. I'd go for the former.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

they are still hard to find go for a shit load of money and are wanted by the big boys so a club like us is going to have to get very lucky with a gamble or have someone come through the academy 

If you are looking for a complete footballer that does it all, then yeah big money. However if you are looking for a player who is creative but know the defensive side of his game is not at the same level, not so expensive. If Ndidi was the complete footballer he’d be at Barcelona already, therefore allow him to compete with Mendy for the more defensive option of the 2 and hope in time he can develop that side of his game because currently his on the ball ability is Championship level. 

 

39 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I imagine our recruitment team won't know what to think. You come up with a brilliant plan and then stick it on a public forum where all the other teams can see it. 

As for you and your sarcasm bore off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GingerrrFox said:

If you are looking for a complete footballer that does it all, then yeah big money. However if you are looking for a player who is creative but know the defensive side of his game is not at the same level, not so expensive. If Ndidi was the complete footballer he’d be at Barcelona already, therefore allow him to compete with Mendy for the more defensive option of the 2 and hope in time he can develop that side of his game because currently his on the ball ability is Championship level. 

 

As for you and your sarcasm bore off. 

you're talking about the likes of Pirlo and Jorginho at Chelsea as a defensive playmaker, they are extremely rare, the closest we could probably get is someone like Delph and there is very little chance of Man City letting him go, you make it sound like its football manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

you're talking about the likes of Pirlo and Jorginho at Chelsea as a defensive playmaker, they are extremely rare, the closest we could probably get is someone like Delph and there is very little chance of Man City letting him go, you make it sound like its football manager

Actually I am talking about someone like Sander Berge from Genk or Campana from Levante. Players that are playmakers with defensive limitations. We need more creativity in midfield. Puel doesn’t rate Silva, that is clear so allow him to be replaced with someone Puel likes. 

Edited by GingerrrFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

you're talking about the likes of Pirlo and Jorginho at Chelsea as a defensive playmaker, they are extremely rare, the closest we could probably get is someone like Delph and there is very little chance of Man City letting him go, you make it sound like its football manager

Paredes at Zenit, Aaron Mooy, Thiago Mendes at Lille.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

If you are looking for a complete footballer that does it all, then yeah big money. However if you are looking for a player who is creative but know the defensive side of his game is not at the same level, not so expensive. If Ndidi was the complete footballer he’d be at Barcelona already, therefore allow him to compete with Mendy for the more defensive option of the 2 and hope in time he can develop that side of his game because currently his on the ball ability is Championship level. 

 

As for you and your sarcasm bore off. 

Up until you actually gave examples of who you're talking about you were hardly making for exciting reading yourself - 'we need more creativity so we need a more creative player' is somewhat facile, no?

 

Which is not to say we don't need more creativity, but you do seem to place very little value in what Ndidi's good at, giving the extent to which you're happy to forego it. Saying there is 'no point' to his 'defensive capabilities' (among his other attributes) seems to be over-egging it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Up until you actually gave examples of who you're talking about you were hardly making for exciting reading yourself - 'we need more creativity so we need a more creative player' is somewhat facile, no?

 

Which is not to say we don't need more creativity, but you do seem to place very little value in what Ndidi's good at, giving the extent to which you're happy to forego it. Saying there is 'no point' to his 'defensive capabilities' (among his other attributes) seems to be over-egging it.

There’s no point being good at winning the ball back if you give it away again straight after. The balance of the midfield 2 currently is not right, both are “destroyers”, win the ball, keep it simple with the distribution and hold position.

 

One of them needs replacing with a ball playing midfielder and the problem for Ndidi is that Mendy is doing his role better than he is at this moment in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Usafox1 said:

That's because when your duty is to win the ball back your're not always going to be in good position to make a perfect pass after recovering the ball. Maddison has to be one of the most overrated  midfielders ever. Where are the assists and  through balls ?He has too much of the ball for the paltry returns he has this yr. He should be making big plays, if he can't then put okazaki back and lets just sweat out every game and play long ball.

How can you blame him for not having assists? He can't make the other player put the ball in the net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

There’s no point being good at winning the ball back if you give it away again straight after. The balance of the midfield 2 currently is not right, both are “destroyers”, win the ball, keep it simple with the distribution and hold position.

 

One of them needs replacing with a ball playing midfielder and the problem for Ndidi is that Mendy is doing his role better than he is at this moment in time.

No. But his passing completion rate's around 75%, which means roughly 3 times as often as not there is a point to him winning it. Which he does quite a lot ...

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

It’s called the transfer window, get a more creative player rather than a defensive minded midfielder and let Ndidi develop that side of his game whilst competing with Papy for the more defensive role of the 2.

 

5 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

One of them needs replacing with a ball playing midfielder and the problem for Ndidi is that Mendy is doing his role better than he is at this moment in time.

You surely are taking a piss... lol

 

There is NOT a single defensive statistic in which Mendy is remotely near Wilf or among the EPL leaders (like Wilf is). Watching the Alli goal over the weekend, when Mendy caused the turnover with the stray pass, Ndidi was actually AHEAD of Mendy at about the halfway line while Mendy stood right beside Son.  By the time the play had ended, Ndidi was in our box after chasing down Lucas while Son was alone out-wide having long left Mendy strolling back (not dissimilar to his casual attitude on the first goal), who was not even in the frame at that point.  Heck, even in 'offensive' stats, Wilf has made more "key passes" than Mendy (according to WhoScored) and of course have an EPL goal to Mendy's none! But please don't let me detract from the apparent obsession that some here have with 5-yard sideway passes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×