Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
vanity

What does LC need to become a top-6 side?

First thing that came to mind was money, lots of it, but obviously that is not necessarily sufficient.

Regarding our set piece problems, during the Huddersfield match the commentators mentioned that when CP was asked about it he said he wasn’t sure what he could do about it. Not very reassuring if true

It’s striking be right balance. Didn’t we get relegated to League 1 with one of the best defences in the league? 

You’ve got to identify the root cause of the issue before you can answer the question.

We’ve been fragile from set pieces for some time, so it needs addressing. 

We looked better with Huth in the team, as he’d take the lead and dominate the area. We started to transgress a bit, as let’s be honest, he’s no spring chicken. Also the change in the anti wrestling rules hurt his defending ability.

For me, as much as I love Kasper, for his shot stopping ability and distribution, I don’t believe he’s be best at commanding his area. If I’m honest, that’s the reason he plays for us and not a regular Champions League club. 

Morgan improved ten fold whilst playing with Huth. He isn’t a natural leader though so his absence may improve things.  It depends if Dragovic can step up to the plate.

Ulloa was a great defensive forward also. Great to bring on to see out a game. You can’t say our other alternatives that were bought to replace him offer the same defensive qualities. 

Alternatively, we could just stop giving away set piece opportunities? 

• Like 2

It’s very difficult to be good at attacking and defending, above average teams tend to be good at one or the other. That being said defending set pieces properly has nothing to do with the style of playbof your team and if we could do that then it would make us stronger.

I’ve another consideration though, it’s quite clear we need to be able to control games better against the best sides. Look at our results against teams outside of the top 6 and off the top of my head I think we’ve only conceded more than 1 against those teams vs Palace at home and Watford away. Compare that with our results against the top 6 and we’ve only not conceded 2 or more only once vs Spurs at home. I know it’s very difficult to contain the better sides but his shows how important it was for us to get Silva a dynamic central midfielder who ought to give us an outlet for preventing the waves of pressure.

We also need a couple of new defenders to compliment the system Puel has us playing. I’d say both full backs might be upgraded and certainly a long term replacement for Morgan. It’s a fine line between individual ability of these defenders and collectively how a team defends but it’s clear we need to focus on our defence the most in this team. 

That being said we aren’t that far away from all of the above, we’ve the foundations of a decent team and we know that from 2015/16. Kante gave our defence so much protection though and I genuinely think that was the difference back then as we were still dog muck at set pieces and our defence are now a few years older and on the decline. 

Should Mahrez go though any time soon I think we’ll have similar problems in attack as the man is a genius and it would require a couple of alternative players to give us anything near what he does for us. 

• Like 1

Funny question because two years ago Leicester was already not just in the top 6 but no 1 !!! Believe in this club and players then keep playing offensively  after all is one of the best in the premier league ( vardy mahrez gray albrighton slimani Okazaki ...no fear ! Risk it and become fearless and that’s it didn’t you beat Liverpool (2-0 at the cup ) and Tottenham 2-1 Didn’t you get a draw with Manchester United  and the same result with Manchester city ( cup ) you are already on the top just believe it :)) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shanghai said:

Funny question because two years ago Leicester was already not just in the top 6 but no 1 !!! Believe in this club and players then keep playing offensively  after all is one of the best in the premier league ( vardy mahrez gray albrighton slimani Okazaki ...no fear ! Risk it and become fearless and that’s it didn’t you beat Liverpool (2-0 at the cup ) and Tottenham 2-1 Didn’t you get a draw with Manchester United  and the same result with Manchester city ( cup ) you are already on the top just believe it :)) 

Right lads, let's all just start praying and believe!

you-just-gotta-believe.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It’s very difficult to be good at attacking and defending, above average teams tend to be good at one or the other. That being said defending set pieces properly has nothing to do with the style of playbof your team and if we could do that then it would make us stronger.

I’ve another consideration though, it’s quite clear we need to be able to control games better against the best sides. Look at our results against teams outside of the top 6 and off the top of my head I think we’ve only conceded more than 1 against those teams vs Palace at home and Watford away. Compare that with our results against the top 6 and we’ve only not conceded 2 or more only once vs Spurs at home. I know it’s very difficult to contain the better sides but his shows how important it was for us to get Silva a dynamic central midfielder who ought to give us an outlet for preventing the waves of pressure.

We also need a couple of new defenders to compliment the system Puel has us playing. I’d say both full backs might be upgraded and certainly a long term replacement for Morgan. It’s a fine line between individual ability of these defenders and collectively how a team defends but it’s clear we need to focus on our defence the most in this team. 

That being said we aren’t that far away from all of the above, we’ve the foundations of a decent team and we know that from 2015/16. Kante gave our defence so much protection though and I genuinely think that was the difference back then as we were still dog muck at set pieces and our defence are now a few years older and on the decline. 

Should Mahrez go though any time soon I think we’ll have similar problems in attack as the man is a genius and it would require a couple of alternative players to give us anything near what he does for us. 

Conceded two at both Stoke and Newcastle too.

Before we do anything we need an overhaul behind the scenes, our recruitment has been poor and there doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking with how we want to play and progress as a club. There isn't a culture that runs through the club from academy to first team that includes coaching staff, director of football and recruitment and that extends to manager recruitment too.

We had an identity during the great escape and title win, but we lost that under Ranieri, to rediscover it under Shakey only to lose it again. We have a new identity under Puel, we do keep the ball better, whilst still being capable of launching an explosive counter attack, without resorting to hoofball. This needs to be how we play throughout the club and we need to attract and recruit players who want to play that way. We are getting there with Puel, but we need to find that consistency and defensive organisation to push on. We also need to go back to signing young hungry talent not spending 20-30 million in players who just don't fit.

• Like 2

A tighter defence, we ship too many goals. sustained investment in the team and a balance between defending and attacking play.and also consistency starting with a good home record and a strong recruitment team that can identify players like Mahrez who would fit perfectly into our team and to generally keep building the team stronger and stronger each season.

4 hours ago, shen said:

Right lads, let's all just start praying and believe!

you-just-gotta-believe.jpg

Was it wrong what I said ? Leicester is good team of course why can’t be top 6 ? Why is that ? 11 vs 11 men and a fans over the world for what they did complished ! Keep it up Leicester :))

14 hours ago, Wookie said:

Sustained intelligent recruitment coupled with investment - recent signings have been very hit and miss, it doesn’t matter how much or how little is spent if a club routinely signs a poor fit. Analytics are absolutely crucial in both profiling players and identifying them. Moreover, there needs to be clear communication between the coaching staff and recruitment team. Which is something that doesn’t appear to have been present since Pearson was manager and Walsh was joint assistant manager/head of recruitment.

The composition of our squad is mostly A) Old or B) Very young. This needs to be addressed; as brilliant as Vardy, Fuchs, Morgan, Huth, Okazaki, Iborra and Simpson have been these aren’t players that are going to be able to perform at the same level for another 3/4 years. It seems a long time but short termist thinking is severely damaging which is mostly why Swansea are struggling now and Man City didn’t win anything last season - their squads were unbalanced and lacked players they needed.

Yup,..strange thing this football, never runs has planned..

My magic Wand is Fked...You give it a  go..

We took a title, with no logic, either in in age , balance, nor clever organised composition.

We were over analysed, nobody Cracked it..ffs I bet there are university workshops and thesis programmes

born on our 4 year historical run...

So long as Vardy can party, why bother...Rebuild and twisting this n that has got us 8th, with a Potential  bright future.

So we proved we aint a one trick pony..but that Pony aint half  still got a kick in it.So why waste it..!!

Many miss the point, in looking at frustrating variables and comparisons...

I bet..Man.city will be lauded, and rightly take the plaudits for this season,

Pep Might even Create a shorty dynasty, but I bet they will have No guarrantees over the next seasons,

Its the make up of the PL...Nobody can organise or plan beforhand how the next or next...etc etc

will pan out...Just sit Back, enjoy and never try and change a packet you cant even open, only look upon.!!

Starts with ownership and LCFC has that. Stability in management is a must so you have a consistent long term approach - and then do a better job scouting so you don't overpay for guys who give you little to no return.  You want more Harry McGuire's and fewer Iheanacho's.  But then you also need to generate more revenue.  The thing is, they actually have a chance to do this - right now. They've put themselves into a position where this may actually be possible.  But the next steps are the hardest.  The revenue thing is a big one.  And if they lose Mahrez, they have to weather that.  Right now he makes such a huge difference for them.  Take away their ability to score vs anyone - and you're back to being West Ham/Watford/Southhampton.