Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Danny Drinkwater: Would you re-sign him?

Would you resign Danny Drinkwater?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like us to re-sign Danny Drinkwater?

• Yes
    • No

No. I think we need to move on. We need to give our current midfielders a proper run out. With Iborra, Silva and Ndiddi, him coming in is going to force at least one of those players right to the fringe which I dont think would help much. What sways me is he is really the only player i've seen in recent years who is able to get the ball up to Vardy quickly enough. 

31 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Based on what are Silva and Iborra better? Honestly I've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest they are, sadly.

I can see Iborra and Silva getting better in this squad whereas Drinkwater based on his last season with us just didn't impress me. I think we should continue with the likes of Iborra and Silva rather than go back to Drinkwater hence why I would have them ahead of Drinky.

If he was to come back i'm not sure how I would react, part of me thinks we should move on from the title winning squad and resigning him screams to me that we are trying to cling onto the memories of our title win, as amazing and unprecedented as it was at some point we need to move on from it.

So my thoughts are probably more leaning towards moving on from the title squad rather than on ability. Although I still believe Iborra and Silva can both be better players for us than Drinky.

Guest seanfox778

No, I don’t think it’d be good for us or Danny for him to come back. He should go to Everton or maybe Burnley to help them in Europe next season :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Get him back at the right price as he's still a useful squad player, but more importantly if he did rejoin its a lesson to others who might think there are better than they are !.

I think it's more of a lesson if we don't get him back. If we sign him again, it's giving the message that a player can force a move away, and we'll still welcome him back with open arms when it doesn't work out. If we're not interested, then that player might realise it was a mistake to think they'd be better off elsewhere.

• Like 2

He knew exactly that when he went to Chelsea his chances would be limited and he would spend most of his time on the bench so to say he isn't happy now! we all know he signed for the massive money he was offered!. we shouldn't be looking to resign him and we need to move on from how he was for us. we need to be looking at other options. we should all remember him fondly for what he did and achieved with us but in football as in life things move on 

No great business by our club when he left us he must have realised he would sit on their bench at best,  frankly he has deserved everything he has got.  It would be a backward step if the club considered resigning him.  He will end up at Palace or Bournemouth.  Chelsea are not going to sell him cheap they have a habit of loaning players out he may even end up abroad next season.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think it's more of a lesson if we don't get him back. If we sign him again, it's giving the message that a player can force a move away, and we'll still welcome him back with open arms when it doesn't work out. If we're not interested, then that player might realise it was a mistake to think they'd be better off elsewhere.

Pretty sure player will see him flop there and think twice themselves about demanding moves above their ability.

No! A good player no doubt when he's at his best but when he wanted out his dip in form was horrific. 

If he came back and played well again and another big team came sniffing he'd just act exactly the same to get his move. 

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

I can see Iborra and Silva getting better in this squad whereas Drinkwater based on his last season with us just didn't impress me. I think we should continue with the likes of Iborra and Silva rather than go back to Drinkwater hence why I would have them ahead of Drinky.

If he was to come back i'm not sure how I would react, part of me thinks we should move on from the title winning squad and resigning him screams to me that we are trying to cling onto the memories of our title win, as amazing and unprecedented as it was at some point we need to move on from it.

So my thoughts are probably more leaning towards moving on from the title squad rather than on ability. Although I still believe Iborra and Silva can both be better players for us than Drinky.

Drinkwater was our best player until his injury that season.

Understand "moving on" from the title winning squad, but we're talking about Drinkwater not Huth and Morgan. He's 28, in his prime and a decent fit for the sort of football we want to play. At the tight price, I'm be more than happy to have him back in the squad.

• Like 2

Thought he was too good for us and was swiftly proven very wrong. He's probably ruined his career in all honesty, most likely won't get back near the England set up now. Who would look at him? Best case scenario is Everton, otherwise he's looking at the next tier down IE West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth etc, either way it'll be worse for him than when he left here. 

How unfortunate for him :) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Pretty sure player will see him flop there and think twice themselves about demanding moves above their ability.

The flip side of that is, I don't want anyone at the club who thinks that playing for a title winning team is "above their ability."

Any one or our title winning team should surely have had the arrogance and self confidence to back themselves to get in to any other team in the league. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The flip side of that is, I don't want anyone at the club who thinks that playing for a title winning team is "above their ability."

Any one or our title winning team should surely have had the arrogance and self confidence to back themselves to get in to any other team in the league. 

There was only ever 4 of our players good enough to move upward IMO, two of them have already left, one turned down a move and the other is begging to get out. I can't believe any of the others ever thought they could possibly move upwards, with perhaps the exception of Kasper.

Just now, WoodyFox said:

Was he actually that good?? Avoid.. 

Amazed at how short some peoples memories are. Drinkwater is confidence player and had some horrific dips in form over his time with us as a result of this, but he overcame those to become an amazing player for us. The two league titles he was a part of proves that.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There was only ever 4 of our players good enough to move upward IMO, two of them have already left, one turned down a move and the other is begging to get out. I can't believe any of the others ever thought they could possibly move upwards, with perhaps the exception of Kasper.

Don't think you'd ever make it as a top level athlete tbh. Talent aside. 

It's not about how good we think they are, it's about how good they'd back themselves to be. 

They'd just won the league, they'd have ever right to rock up at Liverpool or Spurs or Arsenal who can't win **** all and think they've got a thing or two to teach those clubs. 

I always thought it was a silly move for Drinkwater to go to Chelsea, they didn't need him and for us as fans of course we sat here thinking, well they've got better. 

But I think it takes a certain amount of determination and self belief to be one of the fraction of a percentage of the global population that make it as millionaire professional sportsmen and I don't think that mindset is compatible with "eh, I don't think I'm good enough to go to that club even though they're clearly interested and want to sign me."

• Like 1

If the money was right then yes. Would have to be for a chunk less than we sold him for.

I dont usually approve of re-signing players but a player who played a key role in our great achievement is welcome back if he accepts the error of his ways (grass isn't always greener).. 

By no means would he be a guaranteed starter when everyone is fit but I'm sure he would see more game time here than at Chelsea.. and be a more accepted and welcomed member of the squad.

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Really don't understand why people have a problem with players wanting to try their hand at a bigger club. I don't want them to, I'd rather they bottled it and didn't think they were good enough. But surely anyone can understand why players do it, many do it in our own private lives moving on to bigger and better jobs... sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Football is a very tribal sport, that's what makes it the best in the world. In my opinion you're with us or against us. 

His confidence will be in the gutter. Couple that with the fact it will be close to impossible to come "back down" to us and have another shot of improving and getting another chance at a bigger club, can't see him having the same drive he used to have. 

It's a damn shame he left. There isn't a doubt in my mind that if he had stayed he'd at the very least be on the plane to Russia in the summer, but coming back to us is not the right move for us, or him. 

• Like 2