Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Danny Drinkwater: Would you re-sign him?

Would you resign Danny Drinkwater?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like us to re-sign Danny Drinkwater?

• Yes
    • No

I think Danny was our best post title player and love the guy but I wouldn't re-sign him.

I don't think he'd get in the team, as much as FT likes to complain, Ndidi, Iborra and Silva are a fantastic midfield trio.

I wasn't too happy with the way he forced a move from the club, but he is one of the legends, a good premier league central midfielder and has been through it all with us. If we could do something cheeky like loan him back for the season (so keep the sale money but retain the player!) then maybe it's worth considering. Otherwise I think Iborra was doing a relatively decent job and am hoping that Silva and maybe even Hamza can do a job there. I still think that a class central midfielder who can really dictate games and has a creative spark would flourish at Leicester (Nzonzi as an example) and think Silva is more likely to be that man than Drinky. I will say though that Drinky and Ndidi were a good combination together.

I think we might see a similar situation next season with Mahrez. If he goes to Man City, I could see him not getting as much game time as he would like and being linked with a loan move back to us. To be honest I think Mahrez would excel with class players around him, though getting into a team with Sterling, Sane, the Silvas and De Bruyne is a tough ask even for him.

Everyone makes mistakes, and it seems (based on accounts of him talking to people about Leicester) that he didn't just regret his choice of destination, but has also really missed Leicester as a club. I would take him back, but would expect a lot of grovelling! 

• Like 2

I think we will need a CM in summer as a King replacement. Every season we have ended up playing King due to CM injuries. At least Drinky is less of a gamble purchase as we know he can work with our players and won't need settling in time. The players will probably take the piss a bit initially but quickly get on with it like they did with Riyad.

So... depends on the price. I'd say yes but for no more than 15m fee and 80k wages. But Chelsea will want to get more than 15m back, and he's currently on 120k wages. So practically, no.

Edited by brucey

The issue is whether or not he’d start every week for us...

we we have Youth coming through and Ndidi Iborra and Silva - and the rest to offload.

Personally I’d take him especially if Claude is going three at the back with 2 additional wing backs, 3 in the middle and two up front.

Not one ounce of sympathy for him. He knew exactly what he was getting himself into. If he wanted to move to a bigger club AND play football then he would've gone to Liverpool or somewhere he might actually get in the squad.

Obviously I understand that footballers don't choose what club they go to, I'm just saying that as soon as he went to Chelsea, playing football was not his priority. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Not one ounce of sympathy for him. He knew exactly what he was getting himself into. If he wanted to move to a bigger club AND play football then he would've gone to Liverpool or somewhere he might actually get in the squad.

Obviously I understand that footballers don't choose what club they go to, I'm just saying that as soon as he went to Chelsea, playing football was not his priority. 

Harsh. He was probably told they wanted him to reunite with Kante and blew sunshine up his bum and upon arrival found out Conte was a bit meh about him and hat he was a Roman signing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays at Chelsea and gets a new shot at a little bit more first team action when the new manager arrives in the summer.

Nah. He was only good every other season. 2 out of the 5 he was with us.

Any fool could have told him he wouldn't be a regular at Chelsea. Least surprising thing ever that it hasn't worked out for him there.

I think we can do better, and already have, in fact.

Edited by Raw Dykes

He didn't care about us when he wanted out at the end of the window.

People really need to get over this loyalty to our prem winners. Players are not fans and don't care about our great club.

I personally would not want him back for free with Chelsea paying his wages.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Harsh. He was probably told they wanted him to reunite with Kante and blew sunshine up his bum and upon arrival found out Conte was a bit meh about him and hat he was a Roman signing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays at Chelsea and gets a new shot at a little bit more first team action when the new manager arrives in the summer.

'Yeah Danny we've got Cesc Fabregas and we've just signed a 40m midfielder from Monaco but we want you to reunite with Ngolo because you were good together two years ago' 

He's a complete idiot if he genuinely thought he was going to be anywhere near a regular 

54 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Don't see the point. He would just be a benchwarmer here now. I would have Iborra, Ndidi and Silva ahead of Drinky. He would get more game time at other Premier League clubs.

Based on what are Silva and Iborra better? Honestly I've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest they are, sadly.

• Like 2

On his day he's an exceptional player at this level in a side that suits him, which he was for us but he's also more than capable of going large spells of being really mediocre. The thing for me when considering new players is can they play possession football and can they be dynamic and play fast aggressive football as this the mix of football this club has to blend if we are to be anything more than a mid table team. Drinkwater can do both, I think he'd have flourished under Puel. Him and Silva are quite similar in that they are comfortable on the ball and good at passing but going forward they're not anything special. I don't see room for both of them in a squad that doesn't have 4 competitions to play for, one will barely get a kick. Iborra has a role in this squad as he's a different style of player and he's rolls royce. Ndidi is obviously top boy and there's nobody else in this squad that does what he does. Selling Silva and bringing back Drinkwater smacks of desperation about not knowing how we move on from the past but he's a damn good player and still got several years ahead of him at this level.