Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Danny Drinkwater: Would you re-sign him?

Would you resign Danny Drinkwater?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like us to re-sign Danny Drinkwater?

• Yes
    • No

He wanted his big move, got it and it hasn't quite worked out. I'd imagine he'd like to see who the new manager might be first before deciding to leave though.

One advantage to us having him back might be that Chelsea probably still owe us a good 60 or 70 percent of the fee, so we could arrange something pretty cheap to get him back by way of writing off their debt. 

Personally, and I believe Puel will think this way too, i'd rather see us go for new younger options rather than revisit the past.

if we're buying Chelsea midfielders I'd rather have Kennedy and Loftus-Cheek that Drinkwater, was never a big fan but the main reason I wouldn't isd the old guard power base within the squad needs breaking up for the club to progress, Drinkwater was part of that

2 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I can't understand this mindset whatsoever

he forced through a move in the last few hours of the transfer window and left us in the shit.

I have no problem with players wanting to move on for more money or to play for a bigger club but everyone knew he wouldn't be a regular for them, he should have chose better

Edited by Jimmy

11 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Yes and no.

Yes - because we know he's a decent player and he's exactly what we need. He can pass and get the best out of Vards, he technically very good.

No - he's made his bed, he needs to now lie in it. Also, I feel we need to move on. Also, I can't see Chelsea selling him for less than £30m as they'll want to recoup most of what they paid for him, and for a guy who hasn't really played this season is a lot of money. It still left a bit of bitterness due to the way he wanted out. 

I don't think these are good reasons not to sign a player. It's not worth spiting your own team because a previous player was ambitious - by returning here, he'd be admitting that he made a mistake and we should accept that.

If a player is good enough and wants to contribute we should sign him if the price is reasonable. Those should be the considerations we make.

I think it was the wrong move for him personally. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I know, but he was never going to be a regular starter at Chelsea and even with a new manager next season, a club Chelsea's size will also be looking for bigger and better than the likes of Drinkwater in my opinion. 

I don't blame him for taking the chance to go there, but I do believe his chances of England have suffered with little game time and of course his silly decision to rule himself out as he thought he wasn't fit enough when called on. Southgate won't forget that anytime soon I'm sure. 

I voted NO, but realistically, it wouldn't be a bad signing. £20million max though! I think he will want to stick it out another season and try impress the new manager, but I still feel he will be on the way out in the next year or so. 

He wanted to go and he went.  His career was on the up, he was on the fringes of the England team and he probably thought that Chelsea was a good career move.  If he returned and made a similar success of his midfield role, I can see the same thing happening again.  So I think it would be better for him and City if he went to another club.

What makes anyone think he would want to come back here? He couldn't get away quick enough so I don't think he gives a toss about us. Anyway,

the £30 million we got for him kind of makes up for the daylight robbery of Kante's fee.

Unfortunately for Drinky his Chelsea move hasn’t worked out.

We cashed in when he was probably hitting his peak.

Another player going to a top 4 team thinking the grass is greener when it isn’t eg Zaha and a few others.

Could his form return with regular football remains to be seen. But I wouldn’t say he is past it by any means.

With how we have spent on certain players who were untried in the Premiership for 20m+, at least we know what we’re getting with him.

His defensive work and general workrate alongside Kante was underrated in some games as Kante/Vardy/Mahrez took the limelight.

Also a decent passer and good mobility.

Depending on price it could be worth taking a gamble on him.

Edited by steflcfc

I certainly don't have an axe to grind with Drinkwater. He's been a great servant to the club and was brilliant for 18 months with us. I also don't blame him for moving to Chelsea as he had a chance to win things and perhaps he was hopeful of dominating midfield with his ex team mate when he played the best football of his career.

He was great business for this club when we bought him for £1m and sold him for £35m. I was well in favour of his sale at that price as that was surely his peak value and couple that with his drop off in form the six months previous and the rumour of his hip not being 100% which stopped him performing to his full capacity.

I'd have him back if the conditions were right if we sold a couple of our midfielders and he was available at £10m-£15m and was willing to take a cut in wages but I'm mostly in favour of not having him back. I think we should be looking forwards and not backwards and getting rid of the old guard and bringing in players who weren't involved in our title win should be embraced.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 4

The guy is a legend. But he isn't anywhere near what we need in midfield next season. But a team near the bottom or the table that stays up could do worse than snagging him. We will be looking to improve, and there will be much better players available to us.