Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'm not saying that ALL people from a generation think that way, as that would clearly be ridiculous. But I am saying that personally when I see the team play there are some fans that do think this way. And actually it's not specifically the older generation either, though it's not the younger fans.

Not quite sure who that leaves...

• Haha 2

Seen so many better team goals and moves than that City one. Knocked it around a knackered United side for a while before a hopeful cross into the box. Hardly cut them open with quick one touch passing or anything. 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

On the subject of goals, and prob one for the 'what grinds my gears' thread, but I cant stand individual dribbled goals hailed as amazing goals when the individual in question hasnt ran past someone rather than what I would say as going through them

For example, Maradona v England genuinely dribbled through 4/5 players. Henry v Spurs however was him running unchallenged for about 70 yards and then finishing. Techincally, he ran past about 4/5 players but they were all practically the other wing. So many other goals described as wonder goals like that when they clearly arent.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nalis said:

On the subject of goals, and prob one for the 'what grinds my gears' thread, but I cant stand individual dribbled goals hailed as amazing goals when the individual in question hasnt ran past someone rather than what I would say as going through them

For example, Maradona v England genuinely dribbled through 4/5 players. Henry v Spurs however was him running unchallenged for about 70 yards and then finishing. Techincally, he ran past about 4/5 players but they were all practically the other wing. So many other goals described as wonder goals like that when they clearly arent.

yer, that watford one the other week vs huddersfield was described on soccer saturday as a possible goal of the season. he literally miscontrolled it, the defender missed it and the finish went through the keepers arms. 

okazaki scoring from inside the goal with his hip would’ve been a better goal of the season contender. 

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

As crazy as it sounds, there are a lot of fans of our club who I'm convinced don't like goals like that. I have a friend actually who despised both the Barcelona and Spanish national teams at their peak for playing tiki-taka football. Some people are genuinely old-school and prefer the old English physical style of lumping it forward, winning physical duels and over-powering teams rather than out playing them. I think it's a generational thing because thanks to the Internet and things like Sky Sports, younger fans are more aware of European style football and more tollerant of it. 

Personally I love team goals like that, and for me it's the esscence of football. The ball moves faster than the man! So work as a team together to use the ball to drag the other team out of position, create the space and make opportunities to score. Don't get me wrong I appreciate all goals and our lethal counter attacks from 15/16 were always thrilling to see, but goals like that one really are a work of art.

Most of the people you've bracketed there probably rate Carlos Alberto's goal as the best of all time, I disagree it's a generational thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SAFC1 said:

Anything been said about what he was actually betting on? Joey Barton’s bets were hideous iirc. 

something from January 2018 and giving out information which wouldn't be usually 'publicly available'.

I'm guessing something to do with a transfer, maybe his own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAFC1 said:

Anything been said about what he was actually betting on? Joey Barton’s bets were hideous iirc. 

nothing to do with betting on games apparently, it’s a breach of betting on football specials etc. doesn’t necessarily say it was him but either him or someone he knows has almost definitely smashed into him joining west brom you’d guess. 

pretty sure not much will come of it unless it was actually him doing it. 

13 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

yer, that watford one the other week vs huddersfield was described on soccer saturday as a possible goal of the season. he literally miscontrolled it, the defender missed it and the finish went through the keepers arms. 

I think the idea was better than the actual finish - he certainly meant to dribble through the defence but Pereyra actually only touched the ball once before shooting - letting the ball just roll past these statuesque Huddersfield's defenders. 

He probably meant to take another touch tbh but they totally missed it and he didn't need to and yes the finish was a bit scrappy but they all count!

Has scored better quality goals this season.

Edited by Super_horns

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I think the idea was better than the actual finish - he certainly meant to dribble through the defence but Pereyra actually only touched the ball once before shooting - letting the ball just roll past these statuesque Huddersfield's defenders. 

He probably meant to take another touch tbh but they totally missed it and he didn't need to and yes the finish was a bit scrappy but they all count!

Has scored better quality goals this season.

Pereyra is a superb player, taken him a few years to get consistent but hes mustard now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

As crazy as it sounds, there are a lot of fans of our club who I'm convinced don't like goals like that. I have a friend actually who despised both the Barcelona and Spanish national teams at their peak for playing tiki-taka football. Some people are genuinely old-school and prefer the old English physical style of lumping it forward, winning physical duels and over-powering teams rather than out playing them. I think it's a generational thing because thanks to the Internet and things like Sky Sports, younger fans are more aware of European style football and more tollerant of it. 

Personally I love team goals like that, and for me it's the esscence of football. The ball moves faster than the man! So work as a team together to use the ball to drag the other team out of position, create the space and make opportunities to score. Don't get me wrong I appreciate all goals and our lethal counter attacks from 15/16 were always thrilling to see, but goals like that one really are a work of art.

I generally found tiki-taka tedious. It was bloody effective and threw out occasional moments of brilliance, but the objective was to suffocate the opposition and that's exactly what it did to my enjoyment in watching too.

I much preferred watching Heynckes' Bayern to Guardiola's Barca- technically excellent but also played with pace and purpose.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I generally found tiki-taka tedious. It was bloody effective and threw out occasional moments of brilliance, but the objective was to suffocate the opposition and that's exactly what it did to my enjoyment in watching too.

I much preferred watching Heynckes' Bayern to Guardiola's Barca- technically excellent but also played with pace and purpose.

Bayern went backwards under Guardiola. Heynckes won the treble in his final season and really got the best out of Robben and Ribery.

My favourite team to watch over the past 10 or so years (other than LCFC of course!) was Klopp's Dortmund team that got to the Champions League final. The semi final where they won in Madrid was an incredible performance. That style of high intensity play plus attacking intent was awesome to see, and the current Liverpoll side emobides a lot of that style too. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Bayern went backwards under Guardiola. Heynckes won the treble in his final season and really got the best out of Robben and Ribery.

My favourite team to watch over the past 10 or so years (other than LCFC of course!) was Klopp's Dortmund team that got to the Champions League final. The semi final where they won in Madrid was an incredible performance. That style of high intensity play plus attacking intent was awesome to see, and the current Liverpoll side emobides a lot of that style too. 

I enjoy watching Liverpool. One of my good work buddies is a Liverpool fan and I keep on telling him they are going to win the league this year. He's less convinced. 

15 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

not sure why everyone is so angry that sterling did some step overs to waste time at the end of the game, men going on like he was tryna kill someone 

The only person who had the right to be even partially angry is Guardiola because he lost the ball.

I don't get the anger over showboating, when did it become something to get angry over? Remember the footage of Birchenall doing keepy uppys against Luton and passing it back to the keeper? He'd be crucified in the modern day for it. Manager, players, fans, they'd all be crying their eyes out at how 'unprofessional' it is. 

Is it now the case that all players are banned from showing any sort of skill when their team is winning comfortably with the risk of being called a showboater?

• Like 1