Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lee Monty

Gray ??

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

The run that starts at about 14 seconds on this video is absolutely incredible.  I remember watching it (online) and it had me out of my seat.  Such pace and directness.  If only he went for it more often.  I still think he will make it here.  X

Good video ~ shows what he’s all about and is able to do, which in the main is breaking fast and taking on and drawing defenders in at pace. What concerns me is that we do less of this playing under Puel as the ball comes out from the back and we drive forward attempting to break down 10 men behind the ball which we are not yet particularly great at rather than breaking at pace and putting balls through to players on the shoulder of the last man.

12 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

The run that starts at about 14 seconds on this video is absolutely incredible.  I remember watching it (online) and it had me out of my seat.  Such pace and directness.  If only he went for it more often.  I still think he will make it here.  X

A lot of potential but he has a lot to learn.  So many of his moments are cut before he crosses , shoots or passes.  He could be become excellent if he manages more critical actions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Good video ~ shows what he’s all about and is able to do, which in the main is breaking fast and taking on and drawing defenders in at pace. What concerns me is that we do less of this playing under Puel as the ball comes out from the back and we drive forward attempting to break down 10 men behind the ball which we are not yet particularly great at rather than breaking at pace and putting balls through to players on the shoulder of the last man.

I think Friday showed he can play clever little passing combinations and is pretty adept at dribbling past defenders in tight spaces.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

That video shows his talent, and that he can play a good pass but last season overplayed it... a lot. Took about 3 mins before he passed it ?

Based on the Man U game and preseason, he’s adding more balance to his game and passing a lot more, maybe with the confidence of being a starter and not having to prove himself in 10-15 mins? Hope he keeps going, the kid has real talent

• Like 2

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11475163/leicester-winger-demarai-gray-targeting-england-debut

Apparently Gray has his eye on playing for England in the near future, saying he doesn't want to watch them "from the pub".

I have to admire his confidence. If he can nail down a regular spot for us and finally play himself into form, he may well have a few England caps by the end of the season.

He has the raw talent to do it and linking up with Chillwell and Maddison may well bring the best out in him. After playing a bit-part for us since joining, I'd love it if he could kick on and become one of our biggest players.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 1

One of those displays where he didn’t score or assist but still put in a good performance. In the last two games he has impressed me with his decision making, his hard running and his tenacity. He combines well with Chilwell and every time the full back bombs on past him it’s in part because he has made the run to create the space for that to happen. 

This year his his work rate is so much higher than it has been in any of his games for us before. In both games I can remember situations where he has Vardy-esque sprinted for the ball to put a challenge in or recover a lost ball. 

When on the wing I feel like he sometimes doesn’t drive enough and he’s rather one footed. The good defences in the division will work out he has to cut in and will force him wide to nullify the threat. 

Also did a decent job when up front or as the outlet ball. Overall didn’t tear up any trees but it was a great performance for the team and very selfless. Honestly I could quite enjoy seeing this version of Gray!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

I don’t think much has been mentioned about Grays performances so far. Think he has been brilliant in his first two games. I’ve never been a big fan of him, always thought his decision making has been poor but over the last two games I don’t think he has put a foot wrong. Really impressed and hope he continues playing like he has in the last couple of games.

• Like 4

On football focus today there was an interview with Jonjo Shelvey and he was saying how he had been having anger management which has helped improved his game . After the interview Ince and Lawro were discussing the interview and Shelvey and they said that sooner or later with every player they get to a stage where the penny finally drops .I don’t want to speak too soon but it does look as if the penny had finally dropped with Gray 

Edited by baldeagle

Demarai Gray reveals how Claude Puel is helping Leicester City winger

Gray celebrated his 100th appearance for the club in victory over Wolves

When it comes to managing footballers, players are often bunched into two rather general groups: ones who respond best to a rocket up their backside and those who need a reassuring arm around the shoulder.

Demarai Gray has always seemed like a player who warrants the latter in order to get the most out of him, despite how big the urge might be to rollick him amid any inconsistent performances. And, for all his unquestionable talents, there have been a few of them.

Gray, now 22, has admitted that he has matured as both a person and a player . His manager Claude Puel thinks so, too, and said recently that he saw a different Gray return for pre-season. How much of that was because there is no shadow cast by Riyad Mahrez any more? 

Demarai Gray says Claude Puel has played a big role in helping him develop(Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

But under Puel, Gray also believes he now has a manager who understands him: not just the player he is, and wants to become, but also his personality. Gray has started for Leicester more times under Puel than Claudio Ranieri and Craig Shakespeare combined. Puel has given him faith and, more importantly, time.

“Since I have come back after the summer, he (Puel) has worked a lot with me one-on-one,” said Gray. “He has showed a lot of faith in me, and I feel like he believes in me, which is good for my confidence.

“Every game before I go out, he just tells me to do what I do and play with freedom. I think it is paying off on the pitch. My confidence is very high at the minute.

“Every player is different, and needs to be managed differently. Any attacking player, the best thing you can hear from your manager is that you have got freedom, go and do what you do.

“It is good for me, my confidence, and he works on parts of my game that are important. I keep working at my craft and what I need to improve on.”

The victory against Wolves marked Gray’s 100th appearance for City since he joined as a teenager during the Premier League title-winning campaign. We don’t count the Community Shield. Either way, it’s gone quickly.

Among his century, there have been just six goals and 11 assists. Again, for a player of Gray’s ability, his return should have been much higher.

James Maddison celebrates putting Leicester City 2-0 up against Wolves with Demarai Gray(Image: Plumb Images/Getty Images)

In his defence, only 43 of those 100 appearances have been starts. In the Premier League, that number is 29 out of 79. Eighteen of those league starts have come under Puel, during which he has netted half his goals for the club.

Ahead of him, though, has been Mahrez and Marc Albrighton: the magic man and Mr Consistent. Now that Mahrez has gone, and Puel wants his squad to take on the creative responsibility that his departure has left behind, could this be the season that Gray steps up?

“That’s my hope,” said Gray. “It’s my ambition every year to have the best season I can do. I will stay positive. I am in a good place, I am working hard, and I feel myself improving and maturing as a player. I don’t see why not.”

Best of James Maddison

Gray will be helped further, he hopes, by the on- and off-field bromance he shares with Ben Chilwell and new signing James Maddison. The three have played together for England under-21s and spend a lot of time together away from football.

“It is a big bonus for all three of us, having the relationship that we have,” said Gray. “It has paid off on the pitch as well.

“I am happy for James scoring his first goal (against Wolves). He deserved it. He’s been training well, settled in well with the boys and it is good to have him alongside me on the pitch.

“It’s going to be an exciting season for him, me and Ben. We are good friends and, hopefully, we can continue to keep making performances.”

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 4

Had we not been blessed with the talent of Riyad Mahrez and the unbelievable 18 months of the PL win and CL run, we’d be very appreciative of a talent like Grays. 

He wasn’t really given a run of games (and quite rightly so) because we didn’t need to rely on him. He would have no doubt developed better and his apparent attitude problems wouldn’t have surfaced.

He’s certainly got the potential to surpass the talent of Zaha who some consider to be the best winger outside the elite clubs. 

This is his chance, he does have to prove himself but given a decent run of games and not feeling like he has to produce something special in 25mins of a game could be the making of him. 

• Like 2

Think he is really benefiting from Riyad leaving, knows he's not having to try and out perform possibly the most talented player to ever pull on a city shirt or he'll lose his place, so isn't trying as hard to pull off the spectacular (i.e. not shooting once he's within 50 yards)

....one word, Maddison!!

The purchase of Maddison has given Gray a reality check in the light of football maturity. Maddison's presence in respect of confidence and ability has, I believe become a flashing beacon which Gray now appears to recognise as something he can achieve. They are about the same age. "If Madders can do it why cant I.......".

It has taken too long and he appears to have apportioned blame to all and sundry when he should have taken a step back and a good luck at what he was doing and asked the question of how can I improve.  

8 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I thought he had a relatively good game v Southampton. He has really picked up his defensive play and he scored yesterday, so plus and plus. He was by no means perfect, but then who was?

Finally looks settled, we won't see a massive return in terms of goals or assists this season; but i'd like to think 5Gs/5As would be something he could realistically attain. Most importantly, he's playing well so as long as he keeps that up I'm happy :scarf:

• Like 1