Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Don't remember many, I'd like us to qualify but I certainly wouldn't expect us to take it seriously.

Pretty much this.

Finish seventh, enjoy the qualifying rounds as a more interesting pre-season, and if we get through use the group stages to give competitive gametime to youth prospects and squad players for the first half of the season rather than send them all out on loan. No pressure on results.

Focus on the league, aim to continually finish 7th and gradually close the gap on the teams above us. After a few seasons at that level we might be in a better position to challenge to actually win the Europa League (or finish top 6 in the PL)

When it was the Champions League it was easier to justify focussing on that rather than the league because it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and the prize money was substantial.

The Europa League on the other hand isn't as financially lucrative, so if we focussed on that and ended up getting relegated then we could be in big trouble as Championship-level income isn't enough for us anymore. Combine that with a loan for the training ground that's tied to PL income and relegation could cripple us financially.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

Tbf they did make the semi finals last season, beating Dortmund, Lazio and Real Sociedad over 2 legs along the way. 

That went well over my head for some reason. I was more just thinking back to watching them beat Celtic a few weeks ago and thinking they looked good.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Pretty much this.

Finish seventh, enjoy the qualifying rounds as a more interesting pre-season, and if we get through use the group stages to give competitive gametime to youth prospects and squad players for the first half of the season rather than send them all out on loan. No pressure on results.

Focus on the league, aim to continually finish 7th and gradually close the gap on the teams above us. After a few seasons at that level we might be in a better position to challenge to actually win the Europa League (or finish top 6 in the PL)

When it was the Champions League it was easier to justify focussing on that rather than the league because it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and the prize money was substantial.

The Europa League on the other hand isn't as financially lucrative, so if we focussed on that and ended up getting relegated then we could be in big trouble as Championship-level income isn't enough for us anymore. Combine that with a loan for the training ground that's tied to PL income and relegation could cripple us financially.

Or we lose some key players, slip down the table and eventually get relegated.

Think we have to admit that we are quite fortunate a lot of bigger clubs arent doing well and challenging for Europe (Newcastle, Leeds, Aston Villa, Everton) so its important we take the rare chances we have to make Europe.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Pretty much this.

We should certainly be targeting the Europa League qualification and I would honestly be expecting us to take it seriously.

Yeah, it’s not as financially lucrative, unless we’re the last English team in the competition in which case we’d get the biggest share of the market pool like we did in the Champions League. 

Spurs managed to finish around 6/7th for a while with a medium sized ground and without a particularly deep squad. They always fared ok in the Europa, didn’t pull up any trees but routinely got out the groups - it’s not impossible 

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

Spurs managed to finish around 6/7th for a while with a medium sized ground and without a particularly deep squad. They always fared ok in the Europa, didn’t pull up any trees but routinely got out the groups - it’s not impossible 

I’d be happy with that for a few years. Though I’d like to follow the Sevilla example and actually win it. 

• Like 2

On 24/01/2019 at 22:25, ScouseFox said:

i think the majority of those sides would be favourites against us. probably only be favs to qualify against prague, genk, krasnodar, brugge and malmo, for me. 

oh and celtic. 

We'd beat Rapid Vienna and BATE Borisov in all.

32 minutes ago, AjcW said:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=342077.0

I got interviewed by the Liverpool Forum (mate of mine writes for them) for their pre match preview... feel free to have a read and rip it to shreds ;)lol 

I'm Alex in case you couldn't work that out! 

Good read Alex! 

I remember watching the 15/16 Liverpool game while working away but I cannot for the life of me remember the ‘almost’ wonder goal. Had a look for it on YouTube but no luck. I don’t suppose you’d have a link for it? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Good read Alex! 

I remember watching the 15/16 Liverpool game while working away but I cannot for the life of me remember the ‘almost’ wonder goal. Had a look for it on YouTube but no luck. I don’t suppose you’d have a link for it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, AjcW said:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=342077.0

I got interviewed by the Liverpool Forum (mate of mine writes for them) for their pre match preview... feel free to have a read and rip it to shreds ;)lol 

I'm Alex in case you couldn't work that out! 

Decently analysed and a great read. 

7 minutes ago, waylander said:

Nice read your puel in brave man  . ??

lol I was 100%, willing to give it a lot of time.... however I'm now just happy to back for the rest of the season knowing that he is essentially a care taker who is laying the foundations for another manager who favours youth :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stadt said:

11 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’d be happy with that for a few years. Though I’d like to follow the Sevilla example and actually win it. 

I see both sides, they are obviously not mutually exclusive, and ive always dissed burnley and southamptons pathetic forays into europe, but the tottenham way has helped them break the top 4 so that'll do for me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

lol I was 100%, willing to give it a lot of time.... however I'm now just happy to back for the rest of the season knowing that he is essentially a care taker who is laying the foundations for another manager who favours youth :) 

I always back too think he gets a rough ride .. Is Rodgers definitely lined up then ?

4 minutes ago, waylander said:

I always back too think he gets a rough ride .. Is Rodgers definitely lined up then ?

Seems like too many signals pointing that way for it not to be true.

It's not often all the ITK's agree...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

Great read But Everton was not the last game lol lol

I'd meant to put home but must have missed it out :) to be fair considering how hungover the lads were and how terrible that Chelsea game was you could class it as the last lol 

• Haha 1