Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

4 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Can you argue with that logic? They'll also argue that their ambition at least matches ours. It's the old 'big club' nonsense that will run and run and run. 

Not really, it's more a critique of Simon Jordan and his tendency to use a ludicrously long winded way of making a simple point. He also made some silly comments implying the owners don't have a vision and are reactionary. 

The whole "big club" stuff is complete nonsense and gets people far too upset, I agree. 

Edited by martyn

24 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Jim White on TalkSport claiming we are the flagship Midlands club. Simon Jordan saying we'll never win the Premiership again but Wolves will. Saying Wolves, Villa and Forest are the biggest.

Its a funny listen, the old 'big club' debate that is impossible to answer. 

Villa and Forest can get one with being massive in the Championship can't they. Wolves have great potential, but it's not much different to our own. If the others aren't careful both clubs could end up light years ahead.

28 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Jim White on TalkSport claiming we are the flagship Midlands club. Simon Jordan saying we'll never win the Premiership again but Wolves will. Saying Wolves, Villa and Forest are the biggest.

Its a funny listen, the old 'big club' debate that is impossible to answer. 

maybe it's my age but I've never really seen forest and wolves as 'big clubs', all my life they've just been kind of just been irrelevant. Like I get they've had success in the past but that was so long ago. Villa on the other hand is a club where I can understand their potential, like a leeds or a newcastle. That being said as of now if you're are wanting to bet who will be the most successful midlands club in the near future it would be very hard to look past leicester. 

21 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

At least these guys do some research or are at least in touch with whats going on.

Paul Mersons view on Sky was so out of touch - he's been on the lash for so long he thinks its 2016 still.

All this "big club" stuff is pure Boll**ks.  There are so many over entitled groups of supporters who seem to think that their club is "big" due to past glories. What makes a club "big"?  Finances, number of season tickets sold, world wide appeal (Ok man utd, granted) trophies won???  We should live in the present not the past.  All this talk of sleeping giants etc is nonsense. If a club does not have the wherewithal to compete in the here and now then that is too bad. Who knows their time may come again but just because you won something a generation or more ago does not count for a hill of beans. Newcastle - great support but won nothing in 30 years and a yo-yo club.  Wolves, villa ditto.

We won the premier league FFS but that still does not make us a "big" club in many peoples eyes.  Notts county were the founding members of the football league and probably the oldest professional football club in the country but where are they now? nobody ever called them a big club but they certainly have pedigree.

History is a wonderful thing, every supporter of every club can point to great achievements of the past to greater or lesser extent but success is a transitory thing.  Man city were languishing in the third tier not so long ago, Chelsea a mid table and mediocre side until they found the pot of gold.  Unfortunately, history and past heritage count for nothing in todays climate of multi millionaire players, owners (billionaires?), obscene TV monies and transfer fees etc.

Every supporter of every club from the local park to the champions league like to think that their club is "big" or on the brink of being so and of course has every right to do so.

• Like 2

Forest/Villa are a long way off being the biggest midlands side. Historically they've had the most success, but in recent times they've both been pretty irrelevant. Forest just signed out 6th choice CB who was indifferent for the U23s, which illustrates the gulf in class... Even if they came up they'd be in the Huddersfield/Sheff Wednesday - even Newcastle - bracket of clubs which you wouldn't necessarily expect to make a notable impact long-term.

Wolves and us are a pretty close-fought affair, though. We've obviously had the recent success, but Wolves have had a great first season back in the PL and invested well (with a little help...). Different approaches obviously, but both with potential to start nipping at the heels of the 'Big 6'.

Edited by Xen

Guest Markyblue
41 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Surely absolutely nobody under the age of about 35 thinks that Forest are a big club?

Think it's 20 years since they were in the prem. Big club have a word.

Simon Jordans a tit, wolves are not a big club.

They have done well this season but so did Huddersfield last season.

For me Leicester have the better overall potential to break into the top six within the very near future.

Villa in terms of my era were always the biggest midlands club, with forest & Derby doing great things under cloughie.

Its just the old "they were famous once" mentality, bit like Everton, bit like Forest, strangely seems to stop after a certain time though, else where are Preston, Huddersfield, etc, etc :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Cheshfox said:

Simon Jordans a tit, wolves are not a big club.

They have done well this season but so did Huddersfield last season.

I suggest you check out the wealth of their owners - leaves king power way behind and if they really want to push on with a ten year plan to increase their wage bill year on year (as ffp allows) then they will probably be consistently pushing the top six by 2030 

The reality is there are about 20 clubs like ours which at one point or other become bigger than most of the rest over the course of time. Us, Forest, Wolves, Derby are in thst boat and you can probably argue half of the championship are in that bracket too.

Then there are the clubs with history, potential and the support who are above the aforementioned rung (Leeds, Newcastle, Villa).

Everton are somewhere on their own, as are Spurs. 

Hard to call the others in order as its subjective but obviously Man Utd and Liverpool would take some dislodging as the two biggest clubs in England. 

• Like 2