Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

On 02/02/2019 at 13:17, mozartfox said:

Most of the presenters on Talkshite are ex playing alcoholics.   So most of the opinions you here rarely make sense.

Yep. And they haven't had a fresh opinion on football since 1988. They probably still think Wimbledon are a sleeping giant...

• Like 2

Leicester City: The outlier's curse
By Richard Kayode
Friday 8th February 2019

When Leicester City won the league in 2016 under Claudio Ranieri, it was a special moment in the history of the club and English football. The Foxes went against all odds to emerge champions in a league that was widely dominated by a select few clubs with superior resources. Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book titled Outliers: The Story of Success. He examined people and groups who approached problems from a unique perspective, applying innovative solutions that worked. In a sense, Leicester were outliers for a brief shining moment. Dealing with the aftermath has been difficult.

Two things happen when an innovative solution proves effective. Other people either copy the method or steal the components. Cavemen stole fire and the wheel from other tribes until they figured out how to make both themselves. Bigger Premier League teams emulated Claudio Ranieri's counterattacking schemes. Chelsea signed the player at the heart of the Foxes' success, N'Golo Kante, winning the next season's title with the effervescent defensive midfielder at the heart of their lineup. Arsenal attempted to sign speedy striker Jamie Vardy. When they failed, they pursued similar targets until they landed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Manchester City harried Leicester for creative winger Riyad Mahrez. They didn't give up, turned the player's head and eventually landed him.

Another change occurs when outliers reveal themselves. Out of respect, people treat them differently. We all value experience and knowledge. When a team breaks through to win its first title, the next often comes easier. When opponents take the pitch against Leicester, they're aware they're playing former champions. Their focus is greater. That makes it more difficult, not easier for Leicester to repeat their success.

At the same time, the taste of success lingers on the tongues of supporters. They want more. They expect their side to perform at the same level despite losing key players. When they don't, they clamour for the manager to go. When he does and the next also fails, they clamour for him to go. On their third manager since hoisting the Premier League trophy, hope lingers that the magic can be rekindled even though fans helped to break the spell in their impatience.

The board that sacked Claudio Ranieri and Craig Shakespeare cannot be faulted for trying hover next to the sun. Success is addictive, always leaving the successful craving more. The same holds true for fans. The problem is the club has fewer resources than top six clubs. Before his untimely death, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was a wealthy man, just not in the same class as Sheikh Mansour at Manchester City, Walmart inlaw Stan Kroenke at Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool's American financiers or even Roman Abramovich at Chelsea. The Thai billionaire resembled Abramovich most closely. He had a vision and the will to make it a reality even if it proved unsustainable.

Without Vichai to keep dreaming and searching for another innovation, Leicester are in a difficult position. They have shown clubs with deeper pockets a better way. The advantage is lost and so is the innovator. Without the same resources as the top-six, the Foxes must compete for the ignominious title of 'best of the rest'.

In time, the title run will be a distant memory. That distance will make their fate easier to accept. For now, their continued fight is fascinating. Everyone, their fans, the opponents' and the neutral observer all hold their breath waiting to see whether Leicester can recapture their moment, even for an instant. Can they be an outlier again just for a little while?

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/leicester-city-the-2016-outlier-trying-to-play-above-its-shadows

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, davieG said:

Leicester City: The outlier's curse
By Richard Kayode
Friday 8th February 2019

When Leicester City won the league in 2016 under Claudio Ranieri, it was a special moment in the history of the club and English football. The Foxes went against all odds to emerge champions in a league that was widely dominated by a select few clubs with superior resources. Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book titled Outliers: The Story of Success. He examined people and groups who approached problems from a unique perspective, applying innovative solutions that worked. In a sense, Leicester were outliers for a brief shining moment. Dealing with the aftermath has been difficult.

Two things happen when an innovative solution proves effective. Other people either copy the method or steal the components. Cavemen stole fire and the wheel from other tribes until they figured out how to make both themselves. Bigger Premier League teams emulated Claudio Ranieri's counterattacking schemes. Chelsea signed the player at the heart of the Foxes' success, N'Golo Kante, winning the next season's title with the effervescent defensive midfielder at the heart of their lineup. Arsenal attempted to sign speedy striker Jamie Vardy. When they failed, they pursued similar targets until they landed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Manchester City harried Leicester for creative winger Riyad Mahrez. They didn't give up, turned the player's head and eventually landed him.

Another change occurs when outliers reveal themselves. Out of respect, people treat them differently. We all value experience and knowledge. When a team breaks through to win its first title, the next often comes easier. When opponents take the pitch against Leicester, they're aware they're playing former champions. Their focus is greater. That makes it more difficult, not easier for Leicester to repeat their success.

At the same time, the taste of success lingers on the tongues of supporters. They want more. They expect their side to perform at the same level despite losing key players. When they don't, they clamour for the manager to go. When he does and the next also fails, they clamour for him to go. On their third manager since hoisting the Premier League trophy, hope lingers that the magic can be rekindled even though fans helped to break the spell in their impatience.

The board that sacked Claudio Ranieri and Craig Shakespeare cannot be faulted for trying hover next to the sun. Success is addictive, always leaving the successful craving more. The same holds true for fans. The problem is the club has fewer resources than top six clubs. Before his untimely death, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was a wealthy man, just not in the same class as Sheikh Mansour at Manchester City, Walmart inlaw Stan Kroenke at Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool's American financiers or even Roman Abramovich at Chelsea. The Thai billionaire resembled Abramovich most closely. He had a vision and the will to make it a reality even if it proved unsustainable.

Without Vichai to keep dreaming and searching for another innovation, Leicester are in a difficult position. They have shown clubs with deeper pockets a better way. The advantage is lost and so is the innovator. Without the same resources as the top-six, the Foxes must compete for the ignominious title of 'best of the rest'.

In time, the title run will be a distant memory. That distance will make their fate easier to accept. For now, their continued fight is fascinating. Everyone, their fans, the opponents' and the neutral observer all hold their breath waiting to see whether Leicester can recapture their moment, even for an instant. Can they be an outlier again just for a little while?

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/leicester-city-the-2016-outlier-trying-to-play-above-its-shadows

The obvious answer is NO we are never going to win the premier again. It was a one-off and most of us fans realised that even then. A lot of rubbish is talked about our " expectations " being too high after that win but for the majority of Leicester fans, mid-table is fine given our the previous history at this level of football. And in any case, it looks like the money to push for a top-six placing has now dried up ( having wasted millions on poor recruitment over the last two seasons )  Fans are not Impatient to emulate that great season but we are seriously worried at the present manager and his dull negative style of football. When I go to a game I don't expect to win against the top six sides ( brilliant bonus if we do ) but the awful games against beatable opposition at home is not acceptable. Until we find a manager with insight into how to get the best out of the players we have, I'm afraid it's going to be much of the same with even our best players being poached and sold at the end of each season.

Edited by Bunyip
  • Like 1

Anyone listened to the latest Football Ramble? Luke's asked Leicester fans to explain the Puel Out debate and sentiment., As he just doesn't get it. Tempted to write in myself, albeit with a more balanced approach...

Generally interesting how nonplussed so many pundits are about us.

Edited by CloudFox

17 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Anyone listened to the latest Football Ramble? Luke's asked Leicester fans to explain the Puel Out debate and sentiment., As he just doesn't get it. Tempted to write in myself, albeit with a more balanced approach...

Generally interesting how nonplussed so many pundits are about us.

I think it's easy to forget as well that with the top six obsession, our record against them is magnified even more as they will generally only watch the best of us rather than the worst.

Anyone who was watching the Southampton, Cardiff, Palace, Fulham etc... games will get it but there will be far more who watched us against Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Man City.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Didn't know where to put this but a lot of coaching staff are out in Seville. Looks like Shakey is there too. 

Edit: Just seen its for one of the coaches stag.

Hope they bring Ever Banega back with them.

4 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Didn't know where to put this but a lot of coaching staff are out in Seville. Looks like Shakey is there too. 

Edit: Just seen its for one of the coaches stag.

Is that a cheeky Craig Shakespeare second from left if you count across the page there?

Edited by Jaspa

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

@Vacamion, name and shame him..:whistle:

I don’t know this dude.  There are 5 million people in Scotland, and I only know 4.8 million of them.  So, at a wild stab, he’s Jock McDonald from Carstairs.

What I will say though, is that I want to find a woman who looks at me the way that the wee ginger bloke is looking at “Vardy Out” sign bloke. 

20E578D5-3DD8-49E2-AAAD-59ECFBC3EAE4.jpeg

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I don’t know this dude.  There are 5 million people in Scotland, and I only know 4.8 million of them.  So, at a wild stab, he’s Jock McDonald from Carstairs.

What I will say though, is that I want to find a woman who looks at me the way that the wee ginger bloke is looking at “Vardy Out” sign bloke. 

20E578D5-3DD8-49E2-AAAD-59ECFBC3EAE4.jpeg

Vardy out, now that would be controversial.