Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

4 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

It's difficult for people to accept it when something strange (Leicester winning the league, for example) happens. Especially ex-footballers, pundits and the like who tend to deal in received opinion. 

If you're looking for insight and original thought from the likes of Steve McMahon - well, maybe you're looking in the wrong place.

Personally I’d ask Lawro 

Ultimately, what we did will go down in the history books as one of the greatest sporting achievements of all time.

We were the best team that year, the most consistent and deservedly won the title by 10 points.

Why people feel the need to constantly diminish what we did I don't know.

• Like 4

On 06/03/2019 at 15:22, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

Some banter, don't know if it's been posted before but from the comments the real East Midlands derby is Derby v Forest.

I almost feel like he should have given that to the Forest bloke to remind them what it actually feels like to win something. :ph34r:

The "big 6" having a shocking season doesn't take away from the fact we were clearly the best team in England for the duration of the 15/16 season.

We could only beat what was in front of us, and we did.

The fact that the nearest side to us was Arsenal in 10 points says it all. 15 points ahead of Man City and Man United, 21 points ahead of Liverpool and 31 ahead of Chelsea.

Us being the best team in the league is what won us the title. No "fluke".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Ultimately, what we did will go down in the history books as one of the greatest sporting achievements of all time.

We were the best team that year, the most consistent and deservedly won the title by 10 points.

Why people "big team" fans and those living on past glories feel the need to constantly diminish what we did I don't know.

FTFY, and to answer your point...

...because they're salty that it threw under the bus any preconceptions that the top 4 (as it was, now suddenly the "top 6") are a closed shop.

The only "small" teams i've seen express any salt about our title win are:

• Forest (because it diminished their 40-year old acheivements and finally drew a line under any misguided claims they had about being the "biggest team" in the East Mids)
  • Aston Villa (see above, albeit not as pronounced. Think the 3-2 reversal in the winning season and them sinking without a trace also had something to do with it).
  • Burnley (because they've had a chip on their shoulder about us since Dyche's laughable comments in 2013-14 about "pound notes" and us only being top because we won a hatful of penalties while they got none... an obsession that evidently continues based on Saturday's result! :ph34r: )
  • Coventry (again, overshadows their FA Cup win and final proof that we've long since left behind the rivalry of the "M69 derby" leaving them less relevant than ever - though I do genuinely feel bad for their current situation with the Ricoh).

Honestly not had any fans of any other team outside the top 6 express any sort of dislike or back-handed compliment about our achievement. PLENTY of it from Liverpool and Spurs fans though as a combination of both being "top 6 clubs" and being starved of actual success in recent years, plus a weird microscope from Man City fans on us sacking Ranieri every time we play them despite them doing the same thing to Mancini.

The reality is that us winning the league rattled the preconception that nobody outside of a small cabal of teams (which it has emerged work with each other and vote as a bloc on league matters to preserve the existence of said cabal) can challenge for the title and Champions League football, let alone win either. They hate that, even with the decks stacked in their favour, we proved that it's ultimately just two groups of 11 blokes kicking a ball around and anyone can succeed with the right mentality and the right tactics.

And ultimately, the only fans that resent that are either the ones in the so-called "closed shop" we proved is anything but, those who either live off past glories which have been diminished by our success, or those who had personal beef with us on our journey to success.

Let 'em moan. Every other fan in the country loved what we did and gained new hope that the "top six" is a myth anyone can break with the right approach.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

Champions league last 8 confirmed it wasn’t a fluke .... ! 

Clubs of our stature get/fight relegation or relegated whilst competing in Europe , abeilt we nearly did hence the one off ?... Fluke no chance that team lost 5/6 games out of 60 in premier league and champions league over that period.

( Stretching over a period granted) 

5090058E-ED20-42C1-882C-4F7C73B9D1FD.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, crisp packet said:

Champions league last 8 confirmed it wasn’t a fluke .... ! 

Clubs of our stature get/fight relegation or relegated whilst competing in Europe , abeilt we nearly did hence the one off ?... Fluke no chance that team lost 5/6 games out of 60 in premier league and champions league over that period.

( Stretching over a period granted) 

5090058E-ED20-42C1-882C-4F7C73B9D1FD.jpeg

First time I’ve seen that, great photo!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Why people feel the need to constantly diminish what we did I don't know.

If anything, it gave the Premier League even more exposure around the world which they are obsessed about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Loved him as a player, less so as a pundit, but he's better than many. Though that's not really saying much.

Him and Hansen were a great partnership probably helped by being able to pass back to the keeper who could pick it up back then, that rule change definitely changed football for the better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

FTFY, and to answer your point...

...because they're salty that it threw under the bus any preconceptions that the top 4 (as it was, now suddenly the "top 6") are a closed shop.

The only "small" teams i've seen express any salt about our title win are:

• Forest (because it diminished their 40-year old acheivements and finally drew a line under any misguided claims they had about being the "biggest team" in the East Mids)
  • Aston Villa (see above, albeit not as pronounced. Think the 3-2 reversal in the winning season and them sinking without a trace also had something to do with it).
  • Burnley (because they've had a chip on their shoulder about us since Dyche's laughable comments in 2013-14 about "pound notes" and us only being top because we won a hatful of penalties while they got none... an obsession that evidently continues based on Saturday's result! :ph34r: )
  • Coventry (again, overshadows their FA Cup win and final proof that we've long since left behind the rivalry of the "M69 derby" leaving them less relevant than ever - though I do genuinely feel bad for their current situation with the Ricoh).

Honestly not had any fans of any other team outside the top 6 express any sort of dislike or back-handed compliment about our achievement. PLENTY of it from Liverpool and Spurs fans though as a combination of both being "top 6 clubs" and being starved of actual success in recent years, plus a weird microscope from Man City fans on us sacking Ranieri every time we play them despite them doing the same thing to Mancini.

The reality is that us winning the league rattled the preconception that nobody outside of a small cabal of teams (which it has emerged work with each other and vote as a bloc on league matters to preserve the existence of said cabal) can challenge for the title and Champions League football, let alone win either. They hate that, even with the decks stacked in their favour, we proved that it's ultimately just two groups of 11 blokes kicking a ball around and anyone can succeed with the right mentality and the right tactics.

And ultimately, the only fans that resent that are either the ones in the so-called "closed shop" we proved is anything but, those who either live off past glories which have been diminished by our success, or those who had personal beef with us on our journey to success.

Let 'em moan. Every other fan in the country loved what we did and gained new hope that the "top six" is a myth anyone can break with the right approach.

This is so true.

I travel around the country a lot for work often staying away. The season we won the title the Premier league was being talked about in every pub, every hotel bar and by people who usually didn't give a monkeys about football. The fact that TV crews from over the world came to tell the story goes to show that it was an acheivement the like of which is likely never to be repeated.

So many people all over the world were following the story.

Now when I travel around there are very few people talking about the Premier League. The interest of the general public has faded. Of course the football fans still care but for the rest it is just a side show and boring because the same 6 teams are always at the top.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Here's hoping we can use this one day:

333365DE-B094-473C-8BF6-7D178FACEDA1.thumb.jpeg.09be63f94ac03ed3ee3f829e51737bb0.jpeg

Preferably next season @Liverpool    

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Footballer in poor command of language shocker. 

He means 'freak occurrence'. Nothing to see here, especially given the 'creative' use of language by a percentage of people in here. 

We are... " over the moon". Where  He is  "Sick as a parrot "

55 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Him and Hansen were a great partnership probably helped by being able to pass back to the keeper who could pick it up back then, that rule change definitely changed football for the better.

Agreed - one of the positive innovations in my (long) lifetime. Along with substitutes (still remember how it cost us in the 61 Final) and 3 pts for a win.

Plenty of sh*t ones too though - all-seated stadiums the main offender.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Footballer in poor command of language shocker. 

He means 'freak occurrence'. Nothing to see here, especially given the 'creative' use of language by a percentage of people in here. 

Exactly that. 

57 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Agreed - one of the positive innovations in my (long) lifetime. Along with substitutes (still remember how it cost us in the 61 Final) and 3 pts for a win.

Plenty of sh*t ones too though - all-seated stadiums the main offender.

This is unusual, very unusual I find myself completely agreeing with another forum member ?