Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

He's starting to prove what he is capable of. Consistency was always an issue with him last season but now seems to be solid week in week out. 

The only thing I wish he would do more is take his opponent on rather than turning back with the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lee7 said:

He's starting to prove what he is capable of. Consistency was always an issue with him last season but now seems to be solid week in week out. 

The only thing I wish he would do more is take his opponent on rather than turning back with the ball. 

I think Chilwell and also Ricardo are 2 of our most attacking minded players. We need a few more.

14 hours ago, Stadt said:

He crosses far too early quite often. He’s got the acceleration and dribbling ability to get to the goal line and put a dangerous ball across but ends up putting into the box before our players are in decent positions 

I agree to some extent, but there's also at least an equal responsibility on the forward players to spot Chilwell's foraging runs down the flank and time their runs into the box accordingly. I feel this is a current deficiency in our side. Look at the example yesterday of Vardy's excellent run to the by-line, cutting the ball back across the 6-yard box only for Iheanacho to be hanging back somewhere on the edge of the penalty area. Timing of runs into the box is a skill in need of attention. Kingy is / was 'The King' in this regard :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Swalshed said:

I agree to some extent, but there's also at least an equal responsibility on the forward players to spot Chilwell's foraging runs down the flank and time their runs into the box accordingly. I feel this is a current deficiency in our side. Look at the example yesterday of Vardy's excellent run to the by-line, cutting the ball back across the 6-yard box only for Iheanacho to be hanging back somewhere on the edge of the penalty area. Timing of runs into the box is a skill in need of attention. Kingy is / was 'The King' in this regard :)

Perhaps an issue but solely in terms of Chilwell’s development this is something that the coaching staff need to guide him on. His technique has improved but it’s decision making when going forward which will the be the difference between him being a decent attacking fullback and outstanding one 

He will never be a really top player until he learns how to use his right foot to do more than stand on. Even a very simple 5 yard pass is beyond him with that foot. Typical was an incident towards the end of the match where he covered well in the penalty area but then simply ran the ball out for a corner because the control with his right foot was so poor.

This is something he need to work on in training.

27 minutes ago, reynard said:

He will never be a really top player until he learns how to use his right foot to do more than stand on. Even a very simple 5 yard pass is beyond him with that foot. Typical was an incident towards the end of the match where he covered well in the penalty area but then simply ran the ball out for a corner because the control with his right foot was so poor.

He nearly scored from a shot with his right foot.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

He nearly scored from a shot with his right foot.

Haha yes so he did!

Still an issue though for me. Many times he doesn't make a simple pass because he wants the ball on his left foot. He can imporve this though as he is still young.

8 hours ago, sycokilla said:

I think Chilwell and also Ricardo are 2 of our most attacking minded players. We need a few more.

No doubt about that. Both have brilliant agility and are extremely hard to tackle when they run at speed with the ball. 

I just wish Chilwell would do it a bit more often. He has the opportunities to. 

He's doing very well this season and is probably one of only a few achievements Puel could add to his CV during his time here so far. I hope we are trying to get him to sign a new deal as he'll be turning a lot of heads with his displays, there's clear signs there's more end product to come from him going forward but for me his positioning and defensive work is the most improved which was always what I want to see first from a supposed defender. I have been critical of him and will hold my hands up and say I didn't think he'd turn last season around so quickly but he is doing so and fair play to him and Puel's faith in him.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's doing very well this season and is probably one of only a few achievements Puel could add to his CV during his time here so far. I hope we are trying to get him to sign a new deal as he'll be turning a lot of heads with his displays, there's clear signs there's more end product to come from him going forward but for me his positioning and defensive work is the most improved which was always what I want to see first from a supposed defender. I have been critical of him and will hold my hands up and say I didn't think he'd turn last season around so quickly but he is doing so and fair play to him and Puel's faith in him.

Last time his contract was up for renewal he held out for more money. As one of our best players, who's only improving, and soon to be in the England squad, he should be on Maguire's wage.

31 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Last time his contract was up for renewal he held out for more money. As one of our best players, who's only improving, and soon to be in the England squad, he should be on Maguire's wage.

Glad your not in charge of finances 

I don’t think his ready for 80k a week yet 

Needs a consistent season before that sort of wage is given 

On 07/10/2018 at 14:02, reynard said:

Plenty of top level players who use one foot tbf. 

1 hour ago, Everygamefox said:

Back in England squad 

Understand @BenChilwell has been called up to the England senior squad, with Luke Shaw pulling out. Chilwell possibly unlucky not to be in original squad after an excellent start to season for #lcfc

No idea why Shaw was in ahead of him anyway. Actually I do. He plays for a top 6 club - that fact gives you an automatic advantage with Southgate irrespective of form. 

11 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

No idea why Shaw was in ahead of him anyway. Actually I do. He plays for a top 6 club - that fact gives you an automatic advantage with Southgate irrespective of form. 

Gives you an advantage irrelevant of the manager, minute you play for a top 6 club even on the bench you're ahead of someone else. It's ridiculous.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Really? Why Mount ahead of Barnes then? 

Only other change would be Wilson ahead of Welbeck everything else is spot on. Oh ans 4 keepers why.. 

• Like 1