Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

During the halftime at 3-0 I started worrying about the Peps Klopps and Mourinhos wanting to lure Chilwell out, so Spain pulling two back eased me a little.

The top will probably have to hand him a new contract to sign soon and we will be crossing our fingers so the big clubs won't turn his head.

I won't deny it I was doubtful about Chills last season, but the time and trust Puel gave him paid off. He still has quite a lot to improve but he's matured a lot in space of few months, both physically and mentally and it's great to see his confidence growing when he starts for Leicester and England. And hats off to Southgate for noticing and playing both him and Maguire, what a manager he's turned out to be, I had no idea he had it in him. Hodgson would never start two Leicester players in defense, even under a pointed gun!

23 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

During the halftime at 3-0 I started worrying about the Peps Klopps and Mourinhos wanting to lure Chilwell out, so Spain pulling two back eased me a little.

The top will probably have to hand him a new contract to sign soon and we will be crossing our fingers so the big clubs won't turn his head.

Mourinho won`t be at Utd come January.. then again Puel might not be at City either, just saying...

On 16/10/2018 at 19:17, Fox92 said:

Like I said last season, Fuchs made as many mistakes as Chilwell but used to get away with it. So pleased Puel persisted with Chilwell and made him number one left back at the start of this season, it could have been so easy to go with Fuchs.

Fuchs also can be a liability pace wise not being able to cover for centre backs which aren't blessed with pace.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So Shaw has just signed a new deal worth 190k/week .....

ben is younger but he is probably on around 25k/week 

This is our problem going forward - we have a ceiling on what we can afford to pay for defenders compared to the really big boys ..... 

Shaw at £190k/w is hugely disproportional to the rest of the market though. There's very few clubs who'd go anywhere near a player like him with that sort of financial burden attached.

You look at supposed money-bags Man City and their established England international defenders in Stones and Walker, and they're reportedly on 'only' £100k/w. Still a huge sum of money, but it's not really that much more than what we pay Maguire. Sure we can't go out giving ridiculous contracts to everyone, but we can afford to do so for our star players as we need to.

At the very least, none of the clubs who could comfortably ofer more than us are going to be looking for a LB anytime soon (and if they are, there are more viable options abroad for them). Shaw / Mendy / Alonso / Robertson aren't going anywhere soon, so nor will Ben.

He'll sign a new contract with us and he'll see his wage increase close to what Maguire is getting, I imagine, and that will be more than fair for his ability and potential.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Absolutely astounded they've offered him that, up until August Mourinho hated him and he'd spent 3 years doing nothing. He's had 6-8 good games and gets rewarded with a deal like that? There's the root of Utds problems, obscene wages for Sanchez, Pogba, De Gea and some fat little left back.

?? absolutely hilarious post! Fvcking gold mate

Its worth mentioning that at this moment, Ben Chilwell has as many England caps as Danny Drinkwater. Drinkwater made all of his caps as a regular starting Leicester player (i think).

That sort of thing would probably be on Chilwell's mind if a potential move to a bigger club were to materialise. he seems like the sort of player who would pick game time for club and country over money, at least at this stage of his career

Remember when everyone (many people) said he would always be bang average and never really be a PL defender?

Sorry for being cynical by bringing that up. I suppose we need to step back more often and look at the arc of a player's development.

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, UPinCarolina said:

Remember when everyone said he would always be bang average and never really be a PL defender?

Sorry for being cynical by bringing that up. I suppose we need to step back more often and look at the arc of a player's development.

Nah, it should be made as thread and pinned on the top of FT forums.

"Remember Ben Chilwell".

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Maybe it's out of place considering the current situation, but how good has he been this season? Was terrific again today. Relly developed into a much more complete player. 

He’s been fantastic, and is developing into a fine player in front of our eyes! He honestly looked like he’d been in the England squad for years against Spain. 

Is it just me that thought he’d had more assists this season?!

Sounds like sensationalism but he is starting to look unbelievable. I was just laughing when he got the ball because he went past people like they weren't there, his end product is getting better all the time, he's so composed, positional play is much improved and physically, he is dominating. Keeps this up and he can basically achieve want he wants in his career.

Goal against Arsenal, assist today, could have had more assists maybe could be a bit more greedy and shoot more often as well. The end product looks like it's slowly but surely being added to our game. Definitely our player of the season, and between him and Mendy for MOTM today.

Take another moment to appreciate our goal today. Classic Vardy chasing down to win a lost cause, good interchange and moving players out of position through a nice sequence from Chilwell, Mendy and Albrighton. Just look at Chilwell's movement during this sequence, not to mention his pace, power and quality cut back for Gray, who had terrific movement to find space and finish himself. One of our best open play goals this season IMO.

https://streamja.com/EKjb

Chilwell, Gray and Maddison definitely have a connection between them. They all need more time to develop but there's clear potential for the next generation of Leicester super stars there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Alot of credit has to be given to puel for chilwells development this season. It would have been easy for puel to stick with fuchs. 

Yeah I mean no one ever saw he was highly rated in the last few years or anything and Fuchs wasnt about a year past his best last season

didnt exactly pluck him from obscurity  

Like diabate....ahem

Edited by HankMarvin