Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

We were not playing great when he was getting games last season. He was found out on a few occasions last season but it’s all part of his learning. At old Trafford he had a promising game lets hope he can improve his final ball. 

Several of my mates (Utd ST holders) who rarely comment about opposition players were absolutely raving about Chilwell and thought he was the best player on the pitch my miles after the match. Hopefully he can kick on as he has no excuse because he is in the perfect situation for a young player - manager who likes to setup a team in a way that plays to his strengths, familiarity with the players playing in front of him, good relationship with other players in the squad, club who really want him to succeed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Xen said:

3 close mates with great potential playing in adjacent positions and who are all coming into prominence at the same time. It's exciting stuff. It's a big if, but if they all keep progressing as expected (and Vardy keeps going), we could genuinely end up with 4/5 England players over the next few years.

A lovely dream but in todays world i cant imagine them being LCFC players if progress improves.

2 minutes ago, Simoken said:

A lovely dream but in todays world i cant imagine them being LCFC players if progress improves.

I can see Maguire going next summer if he keeps momentum from the world cup, but otherwise I reckon we've got at least two more years from each of them.

Vardy will see out his contract here.

Maddison has only just signed. There'll be interest, but we have no need to sell and we know the owners play hardball.

Chilwell is a local lad and clearly well liked here. His flaws mean he won't be as attractive to the big clubs, and I can't see us getting offers high enough to entertain.

Gray is probably the most likely to move on as his experience here to date hasn't been the greatest for him, but his potential could see him attract interest, potentially as a cheaper alternative to Zaha for instance.

They're all mates though so they may well prefer to stick together regardless.

I know I can sometimes be a bit too optimistic sometimes, but it's hard not to be when we have youngsters like these breaking into the XI.

4 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Sell him for his fashion sense alone

But but but we'd have to sell all our players... Gray looks like his clothes are heavily based on the Apollo moon landings. Maddison and Chilwell dress so similarly I find it very difficult to tell them apart some times. Iheanacho could come into training with a silver reflective jacket with green cotton spiders sewn on and I wouldn't blink.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Things are all coming together quite nicely for us down the left.

Chilwell is now undeniably our first choice, so he'll be getting the run of games that he needs to work on his weak points. There's plenty of talent there, just needs refining.

Gray is in almost the exact same situation. Shown flashes of brilliance in the past, but never really had that consistent run of games to establish himself. With Mahrez out of the picture he'll only improve.

Maddison needs no further explanation. Clearly a fantastic talent.

3 close mates with great potential playing in adjacent positions and who are all coming into prominence at the same time. It's exciting stuff. It's a big if, but if they all keep progressing as expected (and Vardy keeps going), we could genuinely end up with 4/5 England players over the next few years..

Until someone buys them. 

1 hour ago, Xen said:

I can see Maguire going next summer if he keeps momentum from the world cup, but otherwise I reckon we've got at least two more years from each of them.

Vardy will see out his contract here.

Maddison has only just signed. There'll be interest, but we have no need to sell and we know the owners play hardball.

Chilwell is a local lad and clearly well liked here. His flaws mean he won't be as attractive to the big clubs, and I can't see us getting offers high enough to entertain.

Gray is probably the most likely to move on as his experience here to date hasn't been the greatest for him, but his potential could see him attract interest, potentially as a cheaper alternative to Zaha for instance.

They're all mates though so they may well prefer to stick together regardless.

I know I can sometimes be a bit too optimistic sometimes, but it's hard not to be when we have youngsters like these breaking into the XI.

As much as i like to hear these kind of comments on FT, ultimately we are stuck in club limbo. Stepping stone syndrome aka.. Kante got caught in it. Bound to happen to any other LCFC player that strives and gets tempted by the big clubs. we have little power on that front.. right now i hope

13 minutes ago, Simoken said:

As much as i like to hear these kind of comments on FT, ultimately we are stuck in club limbo. Stepping stone syndrome aka.. Kante got caught in it. Bound to happen to any other LCFC player that strives and gets tempted by the big clubs. we have little power on that front.. right now i hope

Why? We're not that far off of a European place, and seem to be making solid signings to get ourselves closer to that target. None of the clubs above us are particularly desperate for these positions, and won't pay the money to convince our owners to sell.

We may have been a stepping stone club in the past, but the post-Kante decision to scrap release clauses and the owner's clear intentions to hold strong on our player valuations (Mahrez, Maguire) shows that we're clearly trying to move on from being a stepping stone and become a regular challenger. Tottenham managed it not that long ago, so why not us?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

Years ago I always saw the talent of this lad very good going forward but could do with Guppy giving him a couple of lessons on cross the ball and putting it on a six pence!

Still young and a great player in the making.

Was literally going to say this. Last Friday, he kept going aerial with the cross when he’d have been better to hit them early and low. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I love Ben Chilwell....just wish he could learn to kick with his right-foot.  Never seen a more one-footed player playing at such a high level

Yes I’ve never understood this for professional footballers generally, not just Chilwell. You’d think that they’d just practice endlessly on the weaker foot until it felt reasonably natural. Probably never be as good as the preferred one but at least passable. I’m sure I read that one of our new young centre backs did just that. Not sure which one but think it was the Turkish lad.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes I’ve never understood this for professional footballers generally, not just Chilwell. You’d think that they’d just practice endlessly on the weaker foot until it felt reasonably natural. Probably never be as good as the preferred one but at least passable. I’m sure I read that one of our new young centre backs did just that. Not sure which one but think it was the Turkish lad.

He needs to work on his ‘good’ foot before worrying about the other one 

• Haha 1

I'm very surprised to see so many positive comments to be honest.

He has a great engine and that's about it for me.

I find him very ordinary. He doesn't play to the whistle, can't cross, doesn't defend well, rarely gets past or takes on his man.

I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong as one of our own, but I just can't see it. 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I'm very surprised to see so many positive comments to be honest.

He has a great engine and that's about it for me.

I find him very ordinary. He doesn't play to the whistle, can't cross, doesn't defend well, rarely gets past or takes on his man.

I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong as one of our own, but I just can't see it. 

Don't worry,this forum and those Posters who are....well..errmm,..Like you,usually are proved wrong.

It's not your fault,being a foxfan,one is either a negative,grumpy moaner and carries that pessimistic virus.....

Or just an happy clapper,who can only look on the positive side,with blind fanatical optimism....

None of us are perfect,but we are Leicester,no matter which side of the  above mentioned divide one stands,

We together is the nearest thing,to that perfection that the PL has ever seen/heard...

It's sort of a permanent Leicester virus that reaches epidemic proportions.

Foxes are meant to be sly,arrogant ,weird,moaning,laughing     "pessoptimics".     and have the confused pack chasing us,

They fear us, cos we know what we are.....

• Haha 1

Strange that his delivery in open play is often poor, considering he's been on set pieces in preseason. Normally it's the other way round. I remember he was highlighted as having really good technical ability before he broke into the first team. 

He's got all the attributes and the right attitude and approach to the game. Just needs that experience to help his decision making and consistency. I'll always be biased to him as I know people who knew him and say what a nice young lad he is, how grounded he is etc.