Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

17 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Amazing that he's now England's first choice left back.

He's a great talent and I'm delighted he's here for the long term.

Another piece of evidence that’s shows how clueless the puel out brigade are. Seems to be the comments from puel outers are extreme & silly (most of the time) while the people in support of puel are much more level headed. We are lucky to have puel imo considering the last couple of managers we’ve had and how their reigns all ended. It is very clear that we’ve improved under puel also. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

The thing is, they don't eat any because they delude themselves into thinking they never slagged him in the first place.  They also often always resort to the classic "a few good games and you are all bumming him, you are just as fickle as the ones slagging him off".  They forget, of course, that most sensible posters on here were not blindly saying he was the second coming but merely requesting to "give him slightly more time before judging".  Shame.  X

Nah I said he was shit from the start and hes still shit should of got rid to Huddlesfield I say.

• Like 1

Not his best came for England but still got an assist. We’ll get offers in January. Big offers just hope we are as stubborn with him as were with Mahrez- he’s come through the ranks here and we are his home town team and we have proved he can become an England regular playing for us so I hope we will have him for a couple more years yet. Looks made for Man United.

The fact he can overlap and cross the ball ( sometimes) might get a few continental teams interested too.

Edited by MPH

Although I have never called him shit I admit I never expected him to become first choice LB for England so soon. If you had told me a year ago Chills will be a starter for England in 12 months I would say you are be bonkers. I don't know what happened during the summer but after the break he emerged as a new born man (as opposed to last season's boy) and a proper player. Mind he still has lot to improve defensively BUT he's 21 years of age so no doubt he can and will only get better. Just remain calm & chill about all the England glory and make sure you stay at Leicester Ben

As much as I fault Puel for some his tactics and having heavy hand with, or being distrustful to, some other players, in case of Chilwell I will give credit where it's due. He started to trust him early on and was very consistent about playing him instead of Fuchs. Yes I believe Chills blossoming into the player he is now so soon is imo largely down to our Napuelon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Another piece of evidence that’s shows how clueless the puel out brigade are. Seems to be the comments from puel outers are extreme & silly (most of the time) while the people in support of puel are much more level headed. We are lucky to have puel imo considering the last couple of managers we’ve had and how their reigns all ended. It is very clear that we’ve improved under puel also. 

lol One of whom won us the Premier League?

I was baffled to see him taking left sided free kick for our team when we have still maguire and gray in the team whom I think got better accuracy. 

He still struggling at open play crossing 

For England somehow he's taking set pieces as well

What's the problem with his crossing really? More about composure? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

I don't quite think your surmising is quite correct on this. As a Puel out fan of Leicester, I don't see why you have to bring a level headed statement into this. Chilwell is doing great and has deserved his England call. Purely down to Puel giving him more game time. I still do not think he is great defensively and his final ball needs work. He has incredible potential to be not only our left back but also Englands left back for many years. But the basis of one player doing well you have to downplay Puel Outers? What can I say for Gray, Diabete, Vardy not scoring in many games, Kelechi, Okazaki, Morgan, Ndidi for their performances below their ability level. Does that mean as these players are not improving I am correct to want Puel out and you are in your own words extremely silly for wanting Puel in? Of course not, my opinion is that I want the best for the city I was born and live in. 

My points for wanting Puel out are that the team we have in my eyes are capable of better performances. And I don't think he is the man to provide the support, encouragement + motivation to get these. Puel is doing well in regards to keeping us in a mid to high position in the league, however I just think the squad on paper should challenging for 7th playing positive passionate football. 

36 minutes ago, HKFox said:

I don't quite think your surmising is quite correct on this. As a Puel out fan of Leicester, I don't see why you have to bring a level headed statement into this. Chilwell is doing great and has deserved his England call. Purely down to Puel giving him more game time. I still do not think he is great defensively and his final ball needs work. He has incredible potential to be not only our left back but also Englands left back for many years. But the basis of one player doing well you have to downplay Puel Outers? What can I say for Gray, Diabete, Vardy not scoring in many games, Kelechi, Okazaki, Morgan, Ndidi for their performances below their ability level. Does that mean as these players are not improving I am correct to want Puel out and you are in your own words extremely silly for wanting Puel in? Of course not, my opinion is that I want the best for the city I was born and live in. 

My points for wanting Puel out are that the team we have in my eyes are capable of better performances. And I don't think he is the man to provide the support, encouragement + motivation to get these. Puel is doing well in regards to keeping us in a mid to high position in the league, however I just think the squad on paper should challenging for 7th playing positive passionate football. 

Maguire, Kasper, Chilwell Gray and N’didi Would all beg to differ having signed long term deals....

7 hours ago, MPH said:

Not his best came for England but still got an assist. We’ll get offers in January. Big offers just hope we are as stubborn with him as were with Mahrez- he’s come through the ranks here and we are his home town team and we have proved he can become an England regular playing for us so I hope we will have him for a couple more years yet. Looks made for Man United.

The fact he can overlap and cross the ball ( sometimes) might get a few continental teams interested too.

What? Sitting on the bench and being slagged off by Mourinho?

7 hours ago, MPH said:

We are not his own town team he his from milton Keynes

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

And can someone come up with a good song for him. 

Plays on the left for City, Claude Puel's defensive prodigy,

He's got pace when we go in attack, won't get passed our Chilwell at the back.

We've got Ben Chilwell see, we've got Ben Chilwell,

Englands number 3, we've got Ben Chilwell, woah, we've got Ben,

Du, du da du, du da da, da de,

Du, du da du du da du.

Da de,

Du, du da du, du da da, da de,

Du, du da du, du da du.

Repeat

Sweet Like Chocolate

1 hour ago, HKFox said:

This is ben chilwell thread. No wonder we are mainly talking about ben chilwell. 

If you want to write or discuss about puel out, please find more appropriate thread. Nobody is silly, moreover extremely silly for discussing one player in the thread titled players name. 

Ben Chilwell is England’s “undisputed first-choice left-back” after his performance in England’s 2-1 win over Croatia.

The Leicester City star was making his fourth consecutive start in a Three Lions shirt and produced an assured all-round display, even setting up Harry Kane for the goal that sent England into the Nations League finals.

The national media were suitable impressed too. Here’s how they rated Chilwell.The Times: Remarkably assured given his inexperience, coming close to scoring before creating Kane's winner. 8/10

BBC Sport: Another fine performance and made the winner. Undisputed first choice at left-back now. 7/10

Sky Sports: Continued his seamless adaptation to international football at left-back. Was rarely exposed and set up Kane for the winner. 7/10

The Sun: Outstanding free-kick which led to the winning goal – pure class. Generally accomplished performance at left-back and forced a decent save from Kalinic. 7/10

Mirror: Has made the left-back slot firmly his own. Strong both in defence and attack. 7/10

Martin Keown for the Mail: Kept hitting the first man at set-pieces but I knew he had one killer ball in him — and his free-kick set up Kane. I believe he is the answer at left back. 7/10

Guardian: Exposed when Croatia scored. Disappointing set-pieces until his free-kick led to Harry Kane’s winner. 6/10

Express: Warmed Lovre Kalinic’s hands with a powerful volley, but was also guilty of wasting good situations with a poor final delivery on occasions.

Let off the hook when he lost Ivan Perisic at the back post just before half-time, and his positioning was exposed multiple times.

However, all that will be forgotten after his free-kick caused chaos in the box which Kane took advantage of. 5/10

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HKFox said:

Chilwell is fine defensively. Also, I’d say Gray has improved & Vardy who scored 20 goals last season has misssd quite a few sitters this season (talking 4 or 5 that he should have defiantly scored). 

We are challenging for the top 7? We are what, a couple of points away. No one expects us to finish 7th, would be nice but I don’t believe people really think we have to finish 7th & if we don’t the manager has to go considering teams like wolves, Bournemouth and especially Everton who have some fantastic attacking players. 

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Chilwell is fine defensively. Also, I’d say Gray has improved & Vardy who scored 20 goals last season has misssd quite a few sitters this season (talking 4 or 5 that he should have defiantly scored). 

We are challenging for the top 7? We are what, a couple of points away. No one expects us to finish 7th, would be nice but I don’t believe people really think we have to finish 7th & if we don’t the manager has to go considering teams like wolves, Bournemouth and especially Everton who have some fantastic attacking players. 

To add to that, we're only 3 points away from 7th despite quite a lot actually going against us. Ignoring referee decisions for a moment as they can go both ways, but we've had Vardy and Morgan miss games through suspensions, Gray was coming into form just as he got injured, now Maguire/Amartey/Maddison are out, Evans has had spells where he's been unavailable, and Caglar wasn't ready at the start of the season.

To be so close despite all of that is pretty respectable, imo.

To bring it back to Chilwell, I'm really impressed with how this season is panning out for him. I thought he'd be a decent - if unspectacular - replacement for Fuchs, but this is something else entirely. Clearly put in the effort required to take himself to the next level and its paying off. Chilwell's improvement also seems to be helping Gray push on a bit as well, Maddison too. That trifecta of young English talent can go far together. Exciting times.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Chuffed for him. So much humble-pie is being eaten by some right now.

I must be a stone heavier with the amount of humble-pie that I've eaten. I am happy to admit I was wrong about Chilwell.

I never openly criticised him on here but I didn't see the 'hype' in him when Liverpool were sniffing around. A number of times I found myself getting frustrated with him last season both with his positioning and his lack of physicality. Since the summer he has really knuckled down and improved both, as well as his first touch, which at times is class, especially running onto a cross field ball.

He's by no means the finished article though. If he works on his final ball and crossing (not sure why he was on England set-pieces) then he really does have the potential become one of the best left backs in Europe. I can only hope that the rise of Chilwell and Maguire, will inspire Gray and Maddison to kick on. It could hopefully serve to convince more young English talent to join us.

So yeah, give youth a chance. I was wrong and I am happy to admit it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

(not sure why he was on England set-pieces)

Perhaps because he's left footed, fairly fast and has a clear run back to the defensive line if the set piece ends up in a break away. Or maybe he was better in training and just needs more practice in a match environment.