Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frost

Morgan

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

Defensively he was better than Maguire yesterday. 

3 or 4 times he gave the ball away in Similar circumstances to the one where He gave Mendy a hospital pass unfortunately & I think he was one of the players at fault for the first goal. Hopefully Soyuncu is fit for Bournemouth.

• Like 2

Wes’ problem is that the opposition are happy for him to have the ball and simply don’t bother to press him or completely go for him. They know he won’t play a dangerous ball forward or he will turn and play it back to kasper or possibly panic. If Evans or Soyuncu play then they have to think carefully about pressing either as they can play a good ball out. dropping wes will give us better options  against ‘sitting teams’. I assume once Soyuncu is fit that he and harry will be the regular two. 

• Like 4

People love to jump on Morgan anytime he doesn't perform like Jaap Stam at his best. It's ridiculous, he was better than Maguire yesterday and arguably our best CB this season. 

Jonny Evans was bought to replace him and Big Wes has kept him out of the side on merit. Morgan will be on the bench sooner rather than later I would imagine once Soyuncu is fit but I have no doubts that he's in the team on merit.

• Like 3

Why do some fans think playing Evans would be better than playing Morgan?

Evans is as slow as a snail, Wes is much quicker and much stronger than him, that's why he's starting.

Wes has had a solid start to the season, Evans played one game and looked our worst player in it. 

12 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Why do some fans think playing Evans would be better than playing Morgan?

Evans is as slow as a snail, Wes is much quicker and much stronger than him, that's why he's starting.

Wes has had a solid start to the season, Evans played one game and looked our worst player in it. 

Doubt he even makes the squad when soynucu comes in unfortunately for him

I don't think he was that bad yesterday at all and in general his start to the season has been solid, but you can tell he's uncomfortable in this system - you'd think Soyuncu will come in once he's up to speed, probably after the break.

Wouldn't be surprised if Wes winds down back at Forest.

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

I think he was one of the players at fault for the first goal.

So where Ricardo and Maguire.

Morgan threw his body in the way of a shot and stopped what looked like at worst decent shot on target or at best a goal.

Everyone gave the ball away a few times it's one of the reasons we're only 8th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

3 or 4 times he gave the ball away in Similar circumstances to the one where He gave Mendy a hospital pass unfortunately & I think he was one of the players at fault for the first goal. Hopefully Soyuncu is fit for Bournemouth.

The lion's share of the blame for the goal in question will go and has gone to Pereira, but you could question all four of the defenders in relation to one or other of the goals. I'm not sure why you'd single out Wes and I'm not sure why you'd be so sure that a player you've never seen (at least not at this level) would be so much better against Bournemouth.

Wes has had a reasonable enough start to the season. It's not been impeccable, he's not been our best defender, our defence hasn't even looked particularly strong, but if you look at what he's been given on the ratings thread it's shocking. There's no reason why he should be singled out based on yesterday. I'd argue there was no reason to single Pereira out either, but if we're dishing out blame then he'd have to be higher in the queue.

53 minutes ago, Gerard said:

People love to jump on Morgan anytime he doesn't perform like Jaap Stam at his best. It's ridiculous, he was better than Maguire yesterday and arguably our best CB this season. 

Jonny Evans was bought to replace him and Big Wes has kept him out of the side on merit. Morgan will be on the bench sooner rather than later I would imagine once Soyuncu is fit but I have no doubts that he's in the team on merit.

Agreed and to be honest, he looked faster than Maguire as well. He's earned his place this season and I for one was pleased to see his name on the team sheet as opposed to Evans, who was woeful against Wolves. When Soyuncu is fit and ready for his debut I'm sure he will play him. For confidence reasons following injury, I'm sure Puel will be a goid judge of when he's ready.

Wes has been an unbelievable servant for our club and will go down in our clubs history. However, he just does not fit in to our new style of play. He is great to bring off the bench if teams go route 1 towards the end of a game or to play in Cup competitions but for us to progress we need to bring Evans in (when 100% fit as doesn’t seem it) and then the new lad when he is up to speed 

• Like 1

It's the acceleration rather than out and out pace, with Wes. I remember when he got some great top speeds early in our title season. Sadly, he turns and accelerates like the queen Mary (as does Harry), so as a pair they are vulnerable.

Also, Morgan looks fitter than he was in the second half of last season, and I take my hat off to him for his response to being written off, but I think he is still going to get the bullet when Claude thinks one of the options is ready.

• Like 1

He wasn't bad on Saturday but he never looks comfortable on the ball, even though he doesn't tend to get pressed as the opposition know he won't hurt them. He's just not suited to the modern game.

I didn't think Evans was that awful against Wolves once we got over our usual slow start and we actually got someone to play right back.

• Like 1

Defensively solid as you’d expect him to be on sat... but once again his ball playing/passing nearly cost us a few times! Standard stray passes or passes to players that are being closely marked and heading the ball into no mans land over controlled headers to a teammate, I also thought he could have closed down Robertson after he bundled past Ricardo/Ghezzal but he seemed in two minds and opted for rocking on his heels instead! 

Like others have said hes been an amazing servant for our football club and he’s a decent defender but you can see he doesn’t feel comfortable with our new approach, if he wasn’t captain he’d probably be sat in the stands with Simpson

4 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

Defensively solid as you’d expect him to be on sat... but once again his ball playing/passing nearly cost us a few times! Standard stray passes or passes to players that are being closely marked and heading the ball into no mans land over controlled headers to a teammate, I also thought he could have closed down Robertson after he bundled past Ricardo/Ghezzal but he seemed in two minds and opted for rocking on his heels instead! 

Like others have said hes been an amazing servant for our football club and he’s a decent defender but you can see he doesn’t feel comfortable with our new approach, if he wasn’t captain he’d probably be sat in the stands with Simpson

Most of that you could also say about Maguire certainly stray passes and heading into no mans land or even the opposition as for the goal if you look carefully after Ricardo was bundled over both Morgan and Maguire were in a similar position re stopping Robertson and both were in two minds about risking a flying tackle.

I thought he was okay on Saturday defensively, but we're wanting more than just "okay" from all of the players nowadays.

The passing from Morgan, Ndidi and Mendy is not good enough yet, although Mendy is probably the best of a bad bunch there.

Edited by Bablemikey