Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Cardiff Pre Match

57 minutes ago, yks said:

Some players have played 3 * 90 minutes in 8 days, there will be, I think, a heavy rotation.

I think Iborra, Gray and Soyuncu/Evans will start the game, maybe even Ghezzal, Iheanacho, Simpson, Fuchs and people will be mad at Puel for that.
We might also "go back" to 4-2-3-1 (even if we played in that system for more than one hour today) and people will be mad at Puel for that.
I also think we'll struggle against a team sitting back for 90 minutes and might not win and people will be mad at Puel for that.

Or maybe we will crush them with the exact same team as today with 3 defensive CM and people will be mad at Puel for that because he didn't align this team before. (even from people thinking we shouldn't have played with two CM as defensive as Ndidi and Mendy before...)

Anyway, I'm not sure about anything except one thing.

?

• Like 1

This is the one. After the last two matches - we should just be going out to absolutely twat them. But how to beat a team that wants to draw?

In 15/16 it wasn't until we had unbelievable momentum and confidence that other teams didn't think we were a good chance of 3 points. 

I am genuinely very interested to see how Puel plays this. 

• Like 1

Changes we made over the festive season in the 15/16 campaign

14 Dec - Chelsea WON

19 Dec - Everton WON 3 changes (Huth suspended, Drinkwater injured, Ulloa sub - Wasilewski, King, Okazaki came in)

26 Dec - Liverpool LOST 1 change (Huth available after ban returned for Wasilewski)

29 Dec - Man City DREW 2 changes (Drinkwater fit again, Inler came in - King and Okazaki to bench)

02 Jan - Bournemouth DREW 1 change (Ulloa in for Inler)

Obviously the games this time are a little more congested but we didn't change too much.

2 of 3 vs Everton were enforced

Huth returning from suspension was expected v Liverpool

Drinkwater fit again no surprise vs Man City and Inler came in to make it 5 man midfield

Ulloa an attacking change vs Bournemouth as they returned to 442.

8 players: Schmeichel, Simpson, Morgan, Fuchs, Kante, Albrighton, Mahrez and Vardy started all five games

Huth played 4, Drinkwater 3, Okazaki, King and Ulloa 2 and Inler and Wasilewski 1

---

Maguire has started last four games since 15 Dec

Maguire, Ndidi and Choudhury have started last three games

In terms of league games only, it's Saturday - Wednesday - Saturday - Tuesday and then they we expect the big guns will get rested at Newport.

In theory it shouldn't be as exhausting as some make out.

• Like 2

Would be shocked if Vardy starts here after 2 in 4 days. Would be more shocked if Vardy isn’t roasted for resting him.

I’d be tempted to go two up top with Shinji and Iheanacho. Get Gray and Iborra into the side, maybe Fuchs for Chilwell and Evans and Soyoncu at the back.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

Difficult one for Puel because if he changes it and we struggle he will be criticised but if keeps it the same Andrew we can’t  break them down he was too negative. I would keep same shape, drop Maddison into the middle 3 and bring Gray in. Tough game at Everton, can Morgan play again? 

Puel is brave enough to make changes and I think he will. Hope he keeps Ricardo in though, we will need his attacking threat from right back.

Think you've got to change slightly to take advantage of the extra attacking time we'll get - Cardiff will come and sit in.

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Morgan

Maguire

Chilwell

Silva

Mendy

Choudhury

Maddison

Vardy

Albrighton

Is how I'd go, but I'm not expecting Silva to play for us again so likely Iborra in for him (or drop Maddison back to a number 8 role and have Gray in the 3 up top)

10 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

Please please please if we rest Vardy put Okazaki in not iheanacho

Okazaki has shown nothing for well over a year now. He shouldn't even be in the squad. Iheanacho is a quality young player and knows how to link and score. Having said that it'll be Gray in for Vardy because he is more of a threat. Vardy is dangerous against attacking teams but not so much against teams that sit back, he can't head a ball and he can't dribble past players. Gray can dribble past players. He'll do this on saturday and win us a penalty - then the question is can we score it without Vards?

Tired of the myth that we can't break teams down and can't beat the weak ones. This season until Christmas the same people were complaining because we only beat teams at the bottom of the table. 

Vardy isn't as good against defensive teams as attacking teams because he can't run into the space behind them. Maddison and Gray are much better, Ricardo can also dribble.

Cardiff will park the bus so if Vardy is rested Iheanacho should play. All our striker will have to do is stand around in the box really and try get on the end of a cross, which is Nacho's game. We cant start okazaki up top after last time, he isnt a man you play as the main goal scorer.

Interesting to see how we tackle this game, it is the sort of game we have struggled with over the past year. Confidence should be high but we need to be patient on and off the pitch, a early goal would be nice and maybe change there game plan. 

46 minutes ago, FIF said:

Okazaki has shown nothing for well over a year now. He shouldn't even be in the squad. Iheanacho is a quality young player and knows how to link and score. Having said that it'll be Gray in for Vardy because he is more of a threat. Vardy is dangerous against attacking teams but not so much against teams that sit back, he can't head a ball and he can't dribble past players. Gray can dribble past players. He'll do this on saturday and win us a penalty - then the question is can we score it without Vards?

Tired of the myth that we can't break teams down and can't beat the weak ones. This season until Christmas the same people were complaining because we only beat teams at the bottom of the table. 

Vardy isn't as good against defensive teams as attacking teams because he can't run into the space behind them. Maddison and Gray are much better, Ricardo can also dribble.

'Iheanacho is a quality young player and knows how to link and score'.

Come on now, be honest, your still pissed from our win against Man City!

58 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

If everyone is fit there is no need to change a winning team. By all means when we get to the Newport game that's a different kettle of fish.

I think there's every reason to change a winning team both for tactical and fatigue reasons if Puel deems it necessary. We need to try and win this and sitting back against a team that will also be sitting back will be like a sketch from Monty Python. Vardy will need monitoring and with Everton coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the bench in case we need him in the second half. Chowdhury got a bit of a knock yesterday, but if fit, I'd play him with Mendy but add Iborra instead of Ndidi who could do with a rest and Iborra will add a bit of height and hopefully some incisive through balls. In an ideal world, we'd have a more attack minded playmaker of a midfielder but as yet we haven't. 

Every other team rotates their players and there's good reason for that. Only Puel and his staff know,  through the extensive present day monitoring of players,  who is both fit to play and who is carrying a knock. This isn't football manager and cartoon players, it's more scientific.

This is where after two brilliant unexpected wins, we need to get behind the team, whoever is selected, and have a bit of faith. Of course, the tendency on here is that certain on here will pick their team (albeit they'll be a dozen different one's) and if we don't win it will be sack Puel time all over again with monotonous regularity. Cardiff will be a dirge because that will be they want it and it's their best way of getting any points and you can't blame them. It's up to us to outhink them.

• Like 2