Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Half Way Report

Good summary, 

Possession wise we average 49.6% of the ball. This is 8th in the league. Considering we have been down to ten men in four of our games, this is quite impressive and shows a good progress in terms of becoming more of a "prettier" footballing side. However, our passing accuracy is down at just 78% which is the 12st best in the league. To me this shows that while we're trying to pass and keep the ball better, we simply don't have the quality to do so. 

I think this improve after another transfer window, as we improve the quality of the squad.

In attack we average 11.8 shots per game. This is the 12th highest in the league. To me this backs up the "Boring Puel" claim. As much as we have the ball we don't seem to be able to turn it into goalscoring chances. Ndidi has taken the most shots with 35, worrying as he's a defensive midfielder. 

It not surprising with the attacking players at Puel's disposal, Vardy has missed 4 games and has only been half-fit for half of the games he has played, with only Okazaki and Nacho as back up.

In the attacking midfield we have only got Gray, Albrighton, Maddison, Ghezzal and Diabaté, only one of which is a proven PL player. 

Once again this need to be addressed in the next transfer window.

Edited by coolhandfox
typo's

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

In the attacking midfield we have only got Gray, Albrighton, Maddison, Ghezzal and Diabaté, only one of which is a proven PL player.  

Define proven?

Maddison has proved he belongs at this level, Albrighton was a regular starter in a Premier League winning side.

15 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

Define proven?

Maddison has proved he belongs at this level, Albrighton was a regular starter in a Premier League winning side.

Unlike most on here I don't judge a player instantly, I prefer to take a view over a period of time. For me Albrighton is a proven as PL player and has show this over 229 apps. Maddison has show flashes of being a top quality player so far this season, but he only played 18 games at this level. Gray has shown he is capable of occasional flashes of brilliance, like the Everton game last year, but still hasn't a shown he can perform on a regular basis.

The other two have really had time to show whether they are up to it.  

Edited by coolhandfox

Like Pearson did in the great escape I think Puel has hit upon an effective formation with the inclusion of Choudhury which allows Maddison to play the No 10. I feel differently to when it went wrong with Ranieri and Shakey and you can discern the pattern of play Puel is looking for albeit I wonder if the players have not won the argument to hit Vardy earlier which has been noticeable in the last 2 games.

With 2 massively confidence-building wins it will be interesting to see how we go in the 2nd half of the season and whether we make a couple of signings in Jan to push for a Europa League place or wait until the summer.

We really should’ve beat Arsenal away that’s the one that gets me. Such an impressive first half followed by a crappy ref decision and then a customary goal on halftime that sucker punched us.

arsenal battered us second half so deserved the win overall

Unsurprisingly inconsistent, unsurprisingly good and bad.

We've beaten teams we should be beating, bonus wins against Chelsea and Man City, few dodgy draws and the losses to Bournemouth and Palace were our biggest lows.

The football on offer has been hit and miss too, pretty decent at times, pretty boring at times but I do admire Puel in some ways.

Things are far from perfect but he's developing a young talented side here, it's going to take time.

At the minute I'm fairly happy, I expect things to remain tight from about 7th to 12th but at the minute we're in the perfect position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

In attack we average 11.8 shots per game. This is the 12th highest in the league. To me this backs up the "Boring Puel" claim. As much as we have the ball we don't seem to be able to turn it into goalscoring chances. Ndidi has taken the most shots with 35, worrying as he's a defensive midfielder. 

Don't think that really backs up the boring claim so much as it highlights that we're generally middling as a side. Ndidi isn't worrying as much as it is annoying, because that's his usual two long pops that come closer to hitting the ball boys than the target.

41 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Don't think that really backs up the boring claim so much as it highlights that we're generally middling as a side. Ndidi isn't worrying as much as it is annoying, because that's his usual two long pops that come closer to hitting the ball boys than the target.

Not sure which I'd rather see...:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I honestly don't believe there was any players winning arguments here - that's just another attempt to deny Puel any credit when things go well.  It was a reflection of the opponents - two of the most possession-oriented (and effectively so) teams in the PL - and Puel making a formation change to adapt.  Also, I don't think it's any coincidence that Vardy's goal-scoring record against big 6 sides has been so consistently good.  Commentators like to play up the "he's fiery and a great competitor" angle because it makes a good tagline, but most of it is simply that these teams come at us and give Vardy the space to be the signature Vardy we know and love.

I hear you mate. I also think both are true.

Part of a commentators job is to package a players style in a succinct & easily digestible way.

At the same time, your point about signature Vardy is spot on imo