Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Newport away

3 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

They’re  a bloody good side!

In League 2... Just because they gave Spurs a fright last year doesn't mean they have it in their locker to pull off upsets like that consistently. Wigan beating Man City wasn't exactly textbook for them, for example - if it was they'd be in the PL. Think a lot of people are getting frightened for not much reason.

Edited by Nicolo Barella
Typos
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

In League 2... Just because they gave Spurs a fright last year doesn't mean they have it in their locker to pull off upsets like that consistently. Wigan beating Man City wasn't exactly textbook for them, for example - if it was they'd be in the PL. Think a lot of people are getting frightened for not much reason.

Semi disagree.

The cup brings out big performances in clubs in lower leagues, they want to play well to upset the big teams, from a players perspective gets them potential suitors as well. 

They may be league 2, but we're playing at their ground, it won't be the carpet we're used to in the prem. Underestimate the small teams at your own peril, this is their "big day out". Would rather put a decent team out and smash them then get a replay and an extra 90 mins.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I remember the mighty Leatherhead, who came close to causing us a minor embarrassment. 

45 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Semi disagree.

The cup brings out big performances in clubs in lower leagues, they want to play well to upset the big teams, from a players perspective gets them potential suitors as well. 

They may be league 2, but we're playing at their ground, it won't be the carpet we're used to in the prem. Underestimate the small teams at your own peril, this is their "big day out". Would rather put a decent team out and smash them then get a replay and an extra 90 mins.

Are there even any replays this year? I'd be more warm to the idea of playing a stronger squad if we weren't just coming off the winter schedule. As it is, I wouldn't worry too much about being subject to an upset. They usually happen to teams with clear priorities, like surviving relegation or saving strength for Europe.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I still remember Harlow

17 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Are there even any replays this year? I'd be more warm to the idea of playing a stronger squad if we weren't just coming off the winter schedule. As it is, I wouldn't worry too much about being subject to an upset. They usually happen to teams with clear priorities, like surviving relegation or saving strength for Europe.

Think there are, 5th round there isn't i don't think. 

The whole idea of an upset is you don't expect to lose. It's that attitude that leads to complacency and having an upset. 

7 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

To be honest, im kind of frightened because of the two examples you just used...

7 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

They’re  a bloody good side!

Only Cambridge and Notts County have conceded more than Newport in league 2 this season.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Remember when Merson absolutely did his bollocks frothing about Puel making 10 changes against Peterborough and then we were 4-0 up after about 10 minutes. Good times.

Brilliant away day. Left the ground thinking we'd signed a £50m player from the French second division again lol

playing our best team this week will make no difference to us not winning the FA Cup.

I'd go with:

Ward

Pascanu

Soyuncu/Evans

Knight

Fuchs

Choudhury

Iborra (if staying)

Maddison

Albrighton

Iheanacho

Gray

I can see why people would be nervous about team selection here, but in my opinion I think if you can't rotate against a League 2 side, then when else are you going to have the possibility of trying out a couple of youngsters and fringe players to see how they respond? I'd like a cup run as much as the next bloke, but I don't think we should play a full-strength side against these.

You can argue its weakened if you like but most of the team that gets picked will have played a fair amount of first team games this season. Its not as though we are shoving the under 18s in. We have a first team squad and it makes sense to utilise them on these types of occasions. Yes you risk going out but I'd say there would still be potential shock with our 'first 11'.