Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Watford Away Post Match Thread 2-1

Happy Rodgers is manager, but he did get the formation very wrong today. 

Barnes has been our best player the last 6 games but this formation didn’t suit him.

i do like ndidi but he has to be dropped so we can play through the middle with confidence.

• Like 4

Got exactly what we deserved. Taking that free kick/goal kick or whatever it was short sums up exactly what we have been doing wrong for ages.

It wasn’t the long clearance that was to blame, it was the dumb idea of taking it short in the first place, allowing Watford to get on top of us so we were forced to hit it long from as far back as possible. 

Playing it around the back wins you nothing, we did it all game today and not only did it result in us creating very little, in the end it cost us the match defining goal.

Desperate performance, huge job for Rodgers to get this lot playing the right football because we’ve been playing this awful way for some time now.

Playing it out from the back does not work in this country unless you have far superior players to the other team. We have got to start moving the ball forward quickly and preferably winning it far higher up the pitch.

Without Vardy we’d be in a relegation scrap now so it’s concerning if he’s injured. He is getting about 5 touches a game, one chance and scoring. We need to be creating far more chances to compensate for him being out.

The positive is that Rodgers is not Puel and can hopefully see what is wrong with the way we play. If he has learnt a lesson from today’s match about this team then it is well worth the loss in the long run.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Good points: Vardy really is brilliant. Not just in his goal, but in his intellient runs and some decent holdup play. He was brilliant. Concussions are nasty but I hope we comes back soon. We need him.

Youri is also terrific. We need his slick passing and good decision making. Evans played well too.

We played much, much, much better in the second half. So that's good. More attacking and forward intent...

BUT....

Stupid mistake at the back again. Kasper is dreaming if he ever thinks he's good enough for the top echleon of clubs. He's an excellent shot stopper but his distribution is diabolical. He cost us a point here. Wretched.

I thought Chillwell and Riccy struggled with their different roles. Barnes was barely in it, I think the old system fits him better.

7th is gone but I hope we use this time to figure out how to play in a formation that works for us. Brendan has the time. Mostly I hope he can give them all a rollicking about stupid mistakes.

This season has been so underwhelming. 

Agree and I was surprised The Wong backs struggled.  The back three also looked confused.  

Thought that it was quite a boring game up until the end and that we were unlucky to concede first to an offside goal. Having said that we did invite pressure in the opening few minutes and we can only hope that Rodgers sorts it out. 

I thought Tielemans had another decent game and so was surprised to see him taken off, although I suspect that maybe he was running out of steam and we wanted to sure up the midfield with a more defensively minded player. 

Ward should be given a chance now as well, Kasper has been sloppy for far too long. 

• Like 3

It was always going to be a tricky game to start with, away to a team who are on for their best finish in prem history, its a shame we were against a side who we are expected to get a result from or a team who we are underdogs against and a good performance would be enough, its just s##t that we came up against a side where you dont know whats going to happen

The truth is that a lot of our players are not as good as some of us believe them to be. You only have to look closely at the quality of passing each game to see the number of passes that go slightly behind the intended player or are struck too slowly or too quickly.

We are so far away from where we want to be it is quite depressing considering the number of signings made, the money spent, the number of managerial changes etc.

Our concentration levels are awful and we don't play for 90 minutes. We're ok between 15 and 40 and between 46 and 80 but otherwise pretty hopeless.

Forget 7th or 8th or 9th or probably even 10th. Let's just get enough points to stay up asap and then let Rodgers try out a few things.

More changes required in the summer than many believe if we are to achive what the owners probably want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't be bothered if Kasper was dropped. His kicking and decision making is a bit of a joke tbh. Wtf was he doing at the last minute there... Ridiculous.

Does it once every game seemingly now. Far too generous. 

We didn't play well but neither did they. We should have had a point at the minimum. 

Formation needs tweaking. Both Riccardo and Chilwell failed to really bomb on and attacks kept petering out

The nature of the defeat is far harder to take than the performance itself. We were understandably uncertain, I can take that. Throwing away a hard earned point (again) is effing unforgivable.

No objection to 3 cbs, none at all, but Morgan was a waste of space, an experiment not to continue,  a cb in name only. Did he think it was his job to simply be on the field as captain? He was immobile even by his usual standards.

I thought we actually played ourselves back into that game. Watford treated us with perhaps too much respect and could have actually thrown the game away; we might have nicked that.

But a momentary bit of brainless wtf-ery threw it away.

This season is just weekend after weekend of foul mood. So frustrating.

How can a team self destruct so many times in a season? Its unreal.

Rodgers will have his work cut out to try and put confidence and match winning decision making into this team. Also can Chilwell please stop moaning constantly and start working on his final ball.

• Like 2