Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Watford Away Post Match Thread 2-1

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

and if he had stuck with puels formation he’d get it then as well.

damned if he does  damned if he doesn’t.

4231 ISN'T Puels formation. Many teams use it succefully. It's how we play within that formation that's the issue. That's what Rodgers should have focused on today. Employing a whole new system within four days is too much. He got it wrong. End of. The worst part of it is we played the same way as we did under Puel, new system or not. 

It's one game and we shouldn't read too much into it but today, he got it wrong. End of. 

Really need some new faces in the team. With only a couple of exceptions I wouldn’t be arsed about any of them leaving. 

You get the feeling that any attack against us can lead to a goal yet any attack we make it hardly ever feels dangerous. Lots of work to do for BR. 

1 minute ago, FIF said:

He has a lot to offer but I don't think it's with us. He has become a ghost. He is absent throughout games, he doesn't have the energy that is needed and he doesn't have the skill set for our team. He can't head well, he can't hold up a ball well. He is a great finisher even if that hasn't been evident this season and he is a good passer - even if that hasn't been evident this season. In the right team he still has so much to offer. Sadly it's not us and his attitude - exhibited through his wife's tweets and his actions - have hurt the team through the last 2 managers and the end of the Ranieri era. He can be toxic for Brendan as well. 

He'll always be a Leicester Legend and one of my favourite players of all time but for my club I'd sell him this summer - along with Kasper.

Thankfully you’re quite a long way from where decisions will be made ............

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FIF said:

He has a lot to offer but I don't think it's with us. He has become a ghost. He is absent throughout games, he doesn't have the energy that is needed and he doesn't have the skill set for our team. He can't head well, he can't hold up a ball well. He is a great finisher even if that hasn't been evident this season and he is a good passer - even if that hasn't been evident this season. In the right team he still has so much to offer. Sadly it's not us and his attitude - exhibited through his wife's tweets and his actions - have hurt the team through the last 2 managers and the end of the Ranieri era. He can be toxic for Brendan as well. 

He'll always be a Leicester Legend and one of my favourite players of all time but for my club I'd sell him this summer - along with Kasper.

Its not been nice to come to this conclusion but I cant help but agree. 

Kasper's losing us the points in the manner he did is abysmal considering his behaviour at the club

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FIF said:

Thankfully you don’t manage the club..

:sweating:

• Like 1

Very disappointing today. Certainly no new manager bump!

We played well in spells, but ultimately there was no real change from Puel (other than the formation)

I was optimistic before kick-off but of course the reality is, he hasn't had nearly enough time with them and it will take a while for him to untangle what Puel has done, in terms of making us think and play a certain way. We were again slow to start, again blunt in attack and again consistently passed sideways and backwards and left Vardy isolated.

I have always been an advocate for trying a back 3, but actually today is one of the first times I didn't agree with the switch, especially at the expense of bringing Morgan back in, who was immediately at fault for the first goal and completely bossed by (an offside) Deeney. He should not be near the starting 11 again this season. The formation today simply didn't work and was an unnecessary change IMO. 

I was impressed with Watford though and they fully deserve to be where they are. We made it easy for them at times, but they do play a decent mix of attractive and direct football. It is a refreshing change to see a team switch between styles of play and have no qualms hitting a long ball when required. I've missed that flexibility in our approach and hope Rodgers will be able to help us with that and move us away from being stubbornly fixed to one style.

Overall, not a great start, but up against a surprisingly decent team. I didn't like his decision to switch to a back 3 for today and certainly didn't like that he brought Morgan straight back in. I also think taking Tielemans out was a strange one, but he may have been struggling. Other than that, no real change from what we have seen under Puel, BUT he has had a whirlwind few days and this is going to take time to make changes and get it right. I think this is why it is so important and valuable to us that he joined now, and has these 2 months to try things and assess what we need and have to change. 

I'm still very optimistic and excited with Rodgers in charge, but today was definitely a reality check and demonstrates the huge job he has to do here.

I realise you can't play counter attacking football against every opponent but you need an effective alternative and we are really struggling to adapt. We have real quality in Chilly and Ricardo but we struggle to move forward in support.

When we try the slow build up possesion approach it is painful to watch as our off the ball movement is shocking, seriously the opponents could walk back and still be in a position to stem any attack.

Brendan has some work to do that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's possibly the worst performance from us since the Southampton game, there were very few passages of play where we looked positive. It appears Rodgers has tried 3 at the back to give us more structure in defence and not be quite as easily carved open like we have been under Puel but it also reduces our attacking outlet. Mistakes have to be cut out when you set up defensively and right now we find new ways to lose.

Barnes wasn't utilized right today either, and Chilwell didnt seem comfortable at all. 3 at the back could be a long term solution but evidently needs some work.

Tielemans with another assist and Maddison was much better 2nd half. Just hope Vardy isnt out now for a while but Iheanacho did seem a bit more lively.

All in all a frustrating start under Rodgers.

Great post Ric. I agree that’s why the system was tried. Sadly for us Watford threw a spanner in the works as they didn’t play two up top to begin with as Deuolofeu was drifting behind Deeney. Watford offered very little mind you, I thought Holebas looked their most dangerous player. 

Anyway the manager has been here just a few days so will need painful lessons like this one. 

19 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

4231 ISN'T Puels formation. Many teams use it succefully. It's how we play within that formation that's the issue. That's what Rodgers should have focused on today. Employing a whole new system within four days is too much. He got it wrong. End of. The worst part of it is we played the same way as we did under Puel, new system or not. 

It's one game and we shouldn't read too much into it but today, he got it wrong. End of. 

I agree, Brendan should focus on how we play within a 4231. We should be beating Watford though.

Edited by Jamseyfox

59 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Watching us repeatedly pass it back from the final third all the way back to Kasper, and Morgan playing in the quaterback roll was not fun.

Kasper cost us the draw, needs dropping. Hopefully his Dad will at least shut up now.

Rogers out.

Alan Rogers left years ago pal! 

• Haha 1

We take too many touches. Maddison might be a talented player but he slows our play down. We run into space occupied by another player closing down options. How many times did Maguire virtually run into Chilwell. We do not have enough pace at the back. Morgan and Maguire do not react quickly enough and haven’t got the pace to recover.  We make to wrong decisions too often. How many times will Kasper pass the ball to the opposition. Our first touch is often clumsy. NDidi can’t trap a bag of cement. 

If Vardy has concussion is there still the rule that he has to rest / miss a period of several days? We need to do what's best for his safety but I recall that it can be forced on you anyway. Just a shame John Moss delayed his treatment, although I'm sure their past history had nothing to do with it :whistle:.

edit - just seen the quote re no mention of concussion but for the above reason you tend not to mention it!

Edited by fazzyfox

If we played soyuncu instead of Morgan and gray instead of Maddison I think we win this.

glad to see BR trying something new and he would taken things from the game. 

Ultimately we didnt move the ball quick enough and attack with enough purpose. Plenty to work on and disappointed with the result but I maintain plenty of faith for the future of our wonderful club.

Can he Stop them giving the ball away or out of play and when passing a ball put some weight behind it as so many of our passes are pussy passes where the recipient has to wait for it, stop their movement or change direction.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Thankfully you’re quite a long way from where decisions will be made ............

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Thankfully you don’t manage the club..

:sweating:

Staters of the obvious.

Surprisingly Vardy, Kasper and Morgan don't manage the club either but it seems they have far more sway over our owners than either the manger does or footballers should have.

The sooner we move away from the old snakes the better my club will do.

I’m glad Brendan has come now and not at the end of the season.

The biggest problem we have is that we don’t move the ball quick enough, and how evident that was today.

Brendan will give the lads a chance, but you can guarantee if they don’t buy into his way, they will be moved on.

• Like 3

Sorry about that, guys. I thought you played well. Chilwell’s a good player. 

When we first appointed Brendan Rodgers about ten years ago, he inherited a team that had been set up for direct, long-ball play. BR is known for attractive football, but our previous manager frankly wasn’t, so there was some adjustment time required. So have patience and you’ll get some good football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1