Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

6 hours ago, Goober said:

I wouldn’t call using half the cash to buy a sub-standard replacement great business myself. We spent a lot on 2 very highly rated young centre halves last summer for this exact reason, spending 35-40m on Tarkowski would be all-round weird business from us imo 

Tarkowski , Dunk and Lascelles all have comparable stats to Maguire, and in a fair few cases their stats are better. Maguire is solid but he's not some mind-blowing defender. The only reason Maguire is rated at 70-80m is because he's an England regular. Any of those three could replace him. 

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

It's more than a bonus, that's why the top clubs want him.  That's what makes him special.

You might have said the same thing about full backs 20 years ago.    Now it's taken for granted that they can attack and create without being out and out wing backs.  I mean What are Ricardo and Chilwell's main strengths, is it defending?

And it's that bonus that sets him apart, but they wouldn't want him if he couldn't defend first and foremost - that what a centre-half does. If defending wasn't more important than bringing the ball out, they'd play Mahrez or Marshall there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Notable that the club have taken the opportunity to shut this down quickly via Percy rather than leaving the speculation to mount - we don’t usually comment. Suspect we aren’t happy that someone is briefing from either yanited or Harry’s camp to stir the Sh1t 

I honestly think United are leaking all this nonsense to the press just to try and show they are trying to sign top players. They are making it out like they'll sign Maguire and Ben Yedder and about 20 other top players when they'll probably end up with Longstaff and a few other lesser players than the ones they are being linked to. If they were to sign all the players they are apparently interested in, they'd be spending about £500m!!!

1 minute ago, indierich06 said:

Tarkowski , Dunk and Lascelles all have comparable stats to Maguire, and in a fair few cases their stats are better. Maguire is solid but he's not some mind-blowing defender. The only reason Maguire is rated at 70-80m is because he's an England regular. Any of those three could replace him. 

Yep all of this. For 70-80m he should be one of the world's best in his position and that's not what I've seen in the last few years. Decent but not world class just like the other defenders mentioned.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

We'll agree to differ then about whether he is a good defender, but it's disappointing to hear him rated so badly by our own fans.  'Bang average' I ask you?  I have to ask why Dunk and Lascelles aren't attracting huge bids by the top teams if they're that much better or why one cap Dunk is behind Harry in the England set up?

Even more disappointing is the fact that Harry's 'barnstorming' is so unappreciated here and not just by you but by a lot of people on this forum.  He drives the ball up the pitch and gains territory.  Invariably he will lay it off to Chilwell  having taken it out of defence and into the attacking third.  If you think that turning defence into attack is 'to little effect' we'll have to disagree again.  We don't (yet) have the midfield to play it up the pitch.  I would argue he is better for a team like ours rather than Liverpool or Man City, they will always have territory and possession anyway, but we need Harry to help give us those things.  Turning defence into attack is more useful to us than to teams that are always on the attack anyway.

That’s one of the main things we lost when Kante left

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

That’s one of the main things we lost when Kante left

Spot on.  I was actually going to make that comparison but I thought I'd get ridiculed.  I know that Kante was more dynamic but they both great at carrying the ball up the field.

• Like 1

Rudkin;

ok Harry, we’ve had two offers, (snorting and laughing) well three if you count arsenal’s (more snorting and laughing),      but they’re from man city and united and about 70m. Now then Harry we need to know your wishes.

Harry;

Pep is a freaky bald twat and can **** off, and ****ing united, **** that shit, managed by a hobbit bus driver steering them to middle table land, **** off. 

Rudkin; That’s what I like about you Harry, you don’t mince your words.

Haary; Well you know me Rudders, I’m a Yorkshireman, I say what I like, and I bloody like what I say, ee ba gum. Now good man, I have made my wishes clear go and tell them pricks at sky. I’m off to swill some black sheep.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

£50m lollol

Bumnal lollollollol

In all seriousness though it's hard to believe it come to this. Arsenal close to an irrelevance in a bidding war. They were playing in Champions League semi final the same season that we were drawing at home to Northampton and Walsall.

You have to pinch yourself at times like this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Bumnal lollollollol

In all seriousness though it's hard to believe it come to this. Arsenal close to an irrelevance in a bidding war. They were playing in Champions League semi final the same season that we were drawing at home to Northampton and Walsall.

You have to pinch yourself at times like this.

The article is nothing more than a wind up of Arsenal fans and a dig at them for the pathetic Zaha bid

• Like 1