Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 hour ago, MPH said:

what on earth are you talking about?

he had an agreement in place when he signed his contract that we would sell him for the right offer. that’s the whole reason he agreed to  the extended deal.

we didn’t buckle under the pressure, we didn’t cave in,, we set the price back in May and we never dropped it, not once.

we just got the highest fee EVER paid for a defender.

Take a breath and take in what you just said.

So the extended contract was effectively a "reduced" contract if the original contract had no obligation to accept a fee.  On top of that the original contract was lower wages.

Conclusion extended contract bad business if good business is to keep the player as long as possible.  Possibly good business if its determined this new contract raised the fee and profit is the primary concern.

Now on to the rest.

If it was the clubs original intention to sell players only 2 years into their contracts if valuation met regardless of the manager's wishes then fair enough they havent buckled.

But that isnt a get out of jail free card, I dont like us been a selling club, and if you sell players regularly that are in your first team then you are a selling club.

So I agree with you on the buckling.  But I dont agree on that it is ok or not.

Your last line I dont care about.  I am not a shareholder of the club.

For me what rescues the board.  Is if rodgers comes out publicly stating, he wanted maguire sold and had no interest in using him for his 2019-2020 squad, he wont say that tho as its clear from pre season he had an interest.

3 minutes ago, LestaAl said:

400 + pages has kept this forum going for a few months

£80 million will keep the club going for a few months

good result all round

Now let’s roll on to the real action next week.

If we cant shake off our baggage 80m wont last long. We owe hull about 10m from that. Silva slim and one or two others take 15m. It wont last long.

26 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Rival for one season doesn't mean lot to me. When you say rival I rather think of Everton, West Ham, Wolves.

Imo our push for the top 6 also heavily depends on how bad the actual big fish will do. The biggest unknowns being Chelsea and MU, both having unproven managers with little PL experience. Chelsea, despite losing Hazard, have a much better team/bench than us, so it really depends on Lampard. For MU, 6th is as bad as it can get. Their actual floor is actually what we're aiming for. They were shit last season, yet still managed to let Wolves (7th) 11 points behind. I don't know if people realize how big of a gap it is. 

So if the stars are aligned and everything goes well for us, Brendan getting the most of a young, very promising team, Chelsea misfiring and MU continuing their slump then we have a real chance of breaking through. But realistically I see us ending anywhere between 7th and 9th. We'll see.

Neither Manutd nor Chelsea are in a slump..The motivation of L.city could drop,and Manutd go up,just on the Maguire issue..

Tbh I'm not convinced Maguire is at that top top level and bar his first season with us and his world cup campaign I think he has been okay. 

Don't get me wrong he is a good player and we are worse without him, but I think we already have adequate replacements whereas if we lost other players like vardy....etc, we would struggle big time. 

18 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Ah right so because UTD are stupid enough to pay over the odds does not mean we should follow suit. 

Maguire is a 20m defender nothing more as I have stated numerous times. 

Maguire is a 20m defender?

Stupid post of the day award goes to, Fox85.

• Like 1

Sad to see old "slab head" go but let's be honest, we've had Man Utd's pants down with the fee.  He is a good defender, not a great defender and definitely not worth the status of the most expensive defender in the world.

Good luck to him but I'd take a fully fit Steve Walsh in his prime any day of the week!

Edited by pazzerfox

Just now, pazzerfox said:

Sad to see old "slab head" go but let's be honest, we've had Man Utd's pants down with the fee.  He is a good defender, not a great defender and definitely not worth the status of the most expensive defender in the world.

Good luck to him but I'd take a fit  Walshy any day of the week!

As much as I love him, he'd be a total car crash in todays game

46 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Ah right so because UTD are stupid enough to pay over the odds does not mean we should follow suit.

His England caps and premier league performances have added 3m then? Or did we get ripped off at £17m lol have a day off.

6 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Huth may well also be a liability in todays game. 

VAR would shaft him good and proper 

Really ? Only mug defenders. Any great defender learns how far you can push the rules. They learn from it. Huth was no thug he knew the rules and used them.

Your comment says more about your understanding of the game than Huth's

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

no one is saying that.

Just that you sounded like a man united fan, that’s all

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Maguire is a 20m defender?

Stupid post of the day award goes to, Fox85.

He certainly is a 20m CB.

Man Utd have massively paid over the odds.

There is realistically 3 CB worth over 50m

De ligt

Laporte

VVD

Maguire is somewhere here..........

55 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Take a breath and take in what you just said.

So the extended contract was effectively a "reduced" contract if the original contract had no obligation to accept a fee.  On top of that the original contract was lower wages.

Conclusion extended contract bad business if good business is to keep the player as long as possible.  Possibly good business if its determined this new contract raised the fee and profit is the primary concern.

Now on to the rest.

If it was the clubs original intention to sell players only 2 years into their contracts if valuation met regardless of the manager's wishes then fair enough they havent buckled.

But that isnt a get out of jail free card, I dont like us been a selling club, and if you sell players regularly that are in your first team then you are a selling club.

So I agree with you on the buckling.  But I dont agree on that it is ok or not.

Your last line I dont care about.  I am not a shareholder of the club.

For me what rescues the board.  Is if rodgers comes out publicly stating, he wanted maguire sold and had no interest in using him for his 2019-2020 squad, he wont say that tho as its clear from pre season he had an interest.

why do you keep changing the discussion to something different?

you argued that we were not making any money from  Maguire, which we are. 

7 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Really ? Only mug defenders. Any great defender learns how far you can push the rules. They learn from it. Huth was no thug he knew the rules and used them.

Your comment says more about your understanding of the game than Huth's

Huth was one of the finest Leicester defenders ever. The bloke had absolutely everything and he taught Westley how to defend. One of the top ten signings.

1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

We paid £17m for him and now he's England's number one cb, and you're suggesting hes only worth £3m more than we paid. Ive read some daft stuff on this thread but you sir take 1st prize! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

His England caps and premier league performances have added 3m then? Or did we get ripped off at £17m lol have a day off.

He is the 2nd best that england have got at this present time...

That does not mean hes the best CB in the world

4 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

He certainly is a 20m CB.

Man Utd have massively paid over the odds.

There is realistically 3 CB worth over 50m

De ligt

Laporte

VVD

Maguire is somewhere here..........

Are you still stuck in the late 2000s? Values have changed a lot over the past decade.