Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

It'll be interesting to see what we do; most people (including me, after tonights display) seem quite comfortable with Soyuncu and Evans, with Morgan and Benkovic as cover. An ITK mentioned that we were thinking of play 3 at the back, in which case I think we'll need a new CB anyway. I just hope we're careful and don't break the bank. 

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Not convinced it is the right move.  10 years ago it would have been a dream move, but it's clearly a place desperately trying to paper over the cracks right now.  It'll all come crashing down at some point this season.

Agree, I still think we can finish above them this season. In fact we have a duty to.

What annoys me is the way in which he's gone, literally a sneak out of the back door type of exit, hoping noone notices.  We deserve better than that, although I'll give him another 24 hrs to address this.

Disagree, he's been very professional and played all through pre-season, and apart from an instagram like, he's not said anything publicly, nor kicked up a fuss Mahrez style. In fact he's been exemplary IMO.

These contracts though, just a bargaining tool these days, mean bugger all.  Agents.  Fees.  Something needs to change.

Indeed.

• Like 2

i would absolutely wet myself if he turned them down.

If they are paying a world record fee for a defender his agent will want that reflected in his wages/ signing on fee/ loyalty bonuses..

Edited by MPH

Nows the time to invest in a world class wideman/ playmaker in the ziyech mould (yes I know ziyech probably won’t come here) someone along that standard to push Maddison, think either way grays days here are numbered so we might as well strengthen that area significantly if we are going to put faith in our two young cbs

Let's be honest, we've had ManUtd's pants down on this one,

He bad a poor season last season and we looked much more improved defensively when Morgan and Evans were playing together when he was out injured for a spell.

He was good the season before, but nowhere near "one of the best defenders in the league" good and made plenty of mistakes (and him winning our Player of the Year award over Vardy that season (when we were the biggest one-man team in the league) was daylight robbery).

He's great with the ball, but his defending has always been iffy and error-prone. I think ManUtd will want him to develop into a consistent ball-playing defender like Rio Ferdinand, but it's hard not to see him always just being another John Stones. He's a good player but I don't think he's realistically ever going to be the level of a regular Champions League defender.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Theyve spent all summer arguing to sign him and if he's worth it. Now they reckon they have the best back line in the league? The arrogance man

lol they're incredibly deluded. It's hard to believe how much standards have dropped at that place. The Glazers really have conned them.

5 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Cant understand those wanting Ake. Hope we don't spaff a massive amount on a player who could be a liability.

3 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

exactly this. And Bournemouth's defensive record is a joke

We signed  Maguire from a relegated Hull.  Looked so much better with good players around him..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MPH said:

i would absolutely wet myself if he turned them down.

If they are paying a world record fee for a defender his agent will want that reflected in his wages/ signing on fee/ loyalty bonuses..

Despite what the press say about personal terms not being agreed, I can assure you that they are broadly pre agreed between yanited and his agent 

to say they have been agreed before the clubs have agreed the fee is tantamount to admitting ‘tapping up’

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Despite what the press say about personal terms not being agreed, I can assure you that they are broadly pre agreed between yanited and his agent 

to say they have been agreed before the clubs have agreed the fee is tantamount to admitting ‘tapping up’

It’s being quoted at £190,000 per week on a 5 year deal. 

New deal - £9,800,000 per year

Leicester deal - £4,160,000 per year

Realistically, trying to match the wages offered elsewhere were never an option. It would disrupt the squad harmony so much.  

Vardy is our highest paid player I believe and he’s only pulling in £5,200,000 per year. 

It’s something that will need addressing long long term. We need time to grow the wage bill with the FFP rules in place. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Feel sorry for any poor sod who has had Maguire printed on this seasons shirt 

I’m guessing the club will do what they did with previous people and offer a refund / replacement. 

8 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Apologies but no one has been stuck in the late 2000s as we haven't met those times yet.????

10 years ago starting England centre backs were worth more than 20mlollol

8 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Last 2 season's....

So Ferdinand in 2002 didn't go for 30 million? That'd be about 48 million in todays money. Add in 17 years of Sky money and that's where we are at today. Yes the past 2 seasons they've gone up more than average, but we've had a new tv deal, hence the increase in money.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 hour ago, Sly said:

It’s being quoted at £190,000 per week on a 5 year deal. 

New deal - £9,800,000 per year

Leicester deal - £4,160,000 per year

Realistically, trying to match the wages offered elsewhere were never an option. It would disrupt the squad harmony so much.  

Vardy is our highest paid player I believe and he’s only pulling in £5,200,000 per year. 

It’s something that will need addressing long long term. We need time to grow the wage bill with the FFP rules in place. 

No, we need to cut the wage bill.  That's the reason that we cannot move on players like Slim and Silva.

We should definitely not try to follow the lunacy of Man Utd (300k p/week for Rashford I ask you!)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, murphy said:

No, we need to cut the wage bill.  That's the reason that we cannot move on players like Slim and Silva.

We should definitely not try to follow the lunacy of Man Utd (300k p/week for Rashford I ask you!)

Younger players tend to demand lower salaries so our current approach helps

As you say, we can’t compete with the big boys on wages cos we don’t generate enough off field income 

the spurs model of big bonuses is probably the way we have to head though the whole wages issue is why we will find it difficult to establish ourselves consistently in the top six - the new training complex will help 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Ah right so because UTD are stupid enough to pay over the odds does not mean we should follow suit.

Maguire is a 20m defender nothing more as I have stated numerous times.

I hope you get free soon cos you seem to be trapped inside the year 2008.

Edited by NeilLCFC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Him leaving is not as devastating as losing Kante and Mahrez was. In my opinion, Huth has been one of the best defenders we’ve ever had, probably the best... at actually defending. Maguire is a decent player, and he will improve United, however, him leaving us won’t make us any worse. We’ve got £85m in the bank to play with now. He frankly can’t sniff the sweat around Van Dijk’s bollocks, yes again United are walking away with their pants down. 

2 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Him leaving is not as devastating as losing Kante and Mahrez was. In my opinion, Huth has been one of the best defenders we’ve ever had, probably the best... at actually defending. Maguire is a decent player, and he will improve United, however, him leaving us won’t make us any worse. We’ve got £85m in the bank to play with now. He frankly can’t sniff the sweat around Van Dijk’s bollocks, yes again United are walking away with their pants down. 

That's quite a poetic turn of phrase you have there.  I can almost smell it myself.  

:revenge: