Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

Yeah but is he better than Iheanacho? :whistle:

22 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I’m the biggest Vardy fan, but there’s no doubt he’s past his best, that’s very obvious.

For me between 2015-2019 JV was absolutely world class, but ever since the Man City away game in 2019 where he scored that unbelievable goal, he’s looked like he’s not fully fit.

He was out over the new year 2019/2020, came back vs Villa scored 2 but looked a bit rusty, then went into lockdown. Came back after lockdown and looked slower and poor, he picked up his form, had a few good games and got the golden boot he deserved.

This season he’s looked good still but clearly not the prime world class striker of yesteryear.

I agree we need to sign a striker, 1 to compete with Vards who will probably rotate a lot in 21/22 before 22/23 being a mainstay. The problem will be finding one whose at Vards level, it won’t be possible.

So whilst I agree in general that he’s showing signs of slowing down, he’s still a threat by his movement, positioning and pure threat to the opposition. He needs to sort his finishing out a bit this year as he’s missed a few good chances that’s for sure but I still think he offers more than Nacho and remains first choice 100%.
In Prague I thought Vards was off it, but then Nacho came on and was arguably worse!

We struggled to dictate the middle and Youri was off it a bit and looked tired, Vards now struggles in games where we don’t control the game and can’t make much happen himself as he used to be able.

I always feel a bit disappointed that we didn’t have this squad between 16/17-18/19 when Vards was at peak but in a generally poor team. This team of quality we have coincided with Vards becoming 33/34 and on his last legs.

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's just about ready to go on one those runs of games where he scores loads now that people are starting to question if this is the eventual decline. Welcome back Jamie.

38 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Won the golden boot last year and right up there again this season and people are questioning if he’s past his best and well on the decline?! Madness.

37 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Won the golden boot last year and right up there again this season and people are questioning if he’s past his best and well on the decline?! Madness.

Well, I guess people are only looking at stats.  He does have only 2 goals in his last 10 league games.  Would this be his worst spell in terms of goals since the first season in the prem?  It can't be far off.  Plus, he is at the age now where deterioration will come obvious and quick because of the way he plays. There's no denying that. 

Maddisons goal today shows why Vardy is so important to our team even when he’s not on the scoresheet. Tielemans launches a high ball that Vardy is unlikely to win, but still occupies both CB’s because they are worried by his threat. This opens up the space for Barnes and Maddison to link up and make it 1-0.

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Question is do we keep him on so he can get a goal and boost his confidence or take him off to rest him?

We play him.

Just the threat of him doing something occupies defenders to make space and create opportunities for other players.

The criticism of him at the minute is a bit harsh in my opinion. 

OK, he isn't on top form, that's not even debatable, but his hunger, desire and threat is all still there.

Summed up by his block on the edge of his own box today to set up a counter attack.

It'll come.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

In a perverse way, Vardy has looked worse when he's been involved recently. The sharpness in taking chances hasn't been right this season, his general all-round play has been decent though and he still occupies defenders.

He had a good game today - was vital in both goals dragging defenders away and causing the space to open up through clever movement. It's true he didn't look as sharp in front of goal, but don't let that cause you overlook his great contribution to both goals which led to today's win. It was a different type of Vardy performance, but it was one which was still just as crucial to our win today.

We definitely looked better today than the couple of games he was injured, don't get you're referring to at all with us looking worse with him in the team.

Edited by Sampson

9 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We play him.

Just the threat of him doing something occupies defenders to make space and create opportunities for other players.

The criticism of him at the minute is a bit harsh in my opinion. 

OK, he isn't on top form, that's not even debatable, but his hunger, desire and threat is all still there.

Summed up by his block on the edge of his own box today to set up a counter attack.

It'll come.

I was talking about potentially resting him so he's fresh for europa, not taking him off because he was underperforming or whatever.

• Like 1

We've been spoilt by how clinical he's been in front of goal. His general link-up play was fine today but the finishing isn't. 

We need strong competition in the squad with the strikers and not playing every week will help Vardy in the future.

3 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I think we're seeing a drop off now. I've never thought it before. 

His touches are not there at all.

He often goes through patches, even in the title winning season after his run and before the Liverpool home game he struggled.

Hopefully his form and fitness come back when we really need him.

Think it tends to be forgotten that Vardy has gone through many lean spells before. Not just in terms of goals output, but lack of general involvement and even looking lethargic by his standards.

In the past he has always snapped out of those patches. Hopefully he does again.

Edited by martyn