Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Ignore them, @Bert.

I know how it feels to be given info and be told you know fvck all! 

I don’t think anyone said that to be fair. He posted some intel, none of us wanted it to be true, and happily it would appear not to be.

if the original message actually referred to Mrs Vardy it’s actually rather amusing

Before the “injury” news broke, O actually came on this thread to talk about his amazing block on TAA free kick, I think it was still 0-0 at the time and that free kick was flying in. Vardy jumped and twisted his head towards the ball and deflected it onto the bar.

Forget his goals for a second that was a brilliant block and saved us a goal at the other end.

13 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Thankfully it's rebekah's groin that has gone. Apologies becca but I have a European tour next season riding on his groin.

Indeed. No offence to Mrs V but our hopes and dreams of a Europa League win, FA Cup win and a top 4 finish are dependent on Jamie. Mrs V's groin is irrelevant here. 

19 hours ago, brucey said:

Speaking of Rebekah, she just posted some Jamie Vardy appreciation of a slightly different kind :)

https://rebekahvardy.com/letter-to-my-younger-self/

That's pretty sad. Im glad she has managed to join with Vards to become what in the main seem to be a really decent couple of people

• Like 2

From what I'm seeing this season I really think this is Vardy's last season as our first choice striker. If we're relying on him next season then I think we've messed up in the summer horrifically. I feel like I am in a  huuuuge minority and a very high % of people won't agree with this opinion. Understandable as he's been such a massive part of the club for a long time in our most successful period in modern times, if not ever.

I really think he's showing signs of slowing down this year and doesn't look half the player he did a couple of years ago. We spend large portions of games playing with 10 men as he's just not getting involved, he seems reluctant to drop deep and he seems reluctant to run in behind. When he does run in behind he's not getting away from defenders like he used to. Add in to that some pretty patchy finishing, it's not the ideal combo. Things will only deteriorate as time passes on as well.

I still think he will have a massive part to play around the club in his final 2 seasons by becoming an impact sub, being able to bring on a fresh Vardy against a tiring defence with 20-25 minutes left would be a powerful weapon. If we have done our job right, we can use Vardy sparingly over the next 2 years and hopefully still get a good output from him. His movement is still top notch and he has a wonderful footballing brain.

If he remains the first choice next year I genuinely think either his groin will explode or his reputation could sour a little bit, especially if Youri gets full time pen taking duties. Let's hope it's 4th time lucky with our next striker haha.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

From what I'm seeing this season I really think this is Vardy's last season as our first choice striker. If we're relying on him next season then I think we've messed up in the summer horrifically. I feel like I am in a  huuuuge minority and a very high % of people won't agree with this opinion. Understandable as he's been such a massive part of the club for a long time in our most successful period in modern times, if not ever.

I really think he's showing signs of slowing down this year and doesn't look half the player he did a couple of years ago. We spend large portions of games playing with 10 men as he's just not getting involved, he seems reluctant to drop deep and he seems reluctant to run in behind. When he does run in behind he's not getting away from defenders like he used to. Add in to that some pretty patchy finishing, it's not the ideal combo. Things will only deteriorate as time passes on as well.

I still think he will have a massive part to play around the club in his final 2 seasons by becoming an impact sub, being able to bring on a fresh Vardy against a tiring defence with 20-25 minutes left would be a powerful weapon. If we have done our job right, we can use Vardy sparingly over the next 2 years and hopefully still get a good output from him. His movement is still top notch and he has a wonderful footballing brain.

If he remains the first choice next year I genuinely think either his groin will explode or his reputation could sour a little bit, especially if Youri gets full time pen taking duties. Let's hope it's 4th time lucky with our next striker haha.

I tend to agree to some extent, although it is a funny year with Covid.

He has had a few injuries this past year, and hasn’t looked quite as sharp as consistently as usual.  Is that due to age, a ridiculous schedule or a bit of both?

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I’m the biggest Vardy fan, but there’s no doubt he’s past his best, that’s very obvious.

For me between 2015-2019 JV was absolutely world class, but ever since the Man City away game in 2019 where he scored that unbelievable goal, he’s looked like he’s not fully fit.

He was out over the new year 2019/2020, came back vs Villa scored 2 but looked a bit rusty, then went into lockdown. Came back after lockdown and looked slower and poor, he picked up his form, had a few good games and got the golden boot he deserved.

This season he’s looked good still but clearly not the prime world class striker of yesteryear.

I agree we need to sign a striker, 1 to compete with Vards who will probably rotate a lot in 21/22 before 22/23 being a mainstay. The problem will be finding one whose at Vards level, it won’t be possible.

So whilst I agree in general that he’s showing signs of slowing down, he’s still a threat by his movement, positioning and pure threat to the opposition. He needs to sort his finishing out a bit this year as he’s missed a few good chances that’s for sure but I still think he offers more than Nacho and remains first choice 100%.
In Prague I thought Vards was off it, but then Nacho came on and was arguably worse!

We struggled to dictate the middle and Youri was off it a bit and looked tired, Vards now struggles in games where we don’t control the game and can’t make much happen himself as he used to be able.

I always feel a bit disappointed that we didn’t have this squad between 16/17-18/19 when Vards was at peak but in a generally poor team. This team of quality we have coincided with Vards becoming 33/34 and on his last legs.

7 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I’m the biggest Vardy fan, but there’s no doubt he’s past his best, that’s very obvious.

For me between 2015-2019 JV was absolutely world class, but ever since the Man City away game in 2019 where he scored that unbelievable goal, he’s looked like he’s not fully fit.

He was out over the new year 2019/2020, came back vs Villa scored 2 but looked a bit rusty, then went into lockdown. Came back after lockdown and looked slower and poor, he picked up his form, had a few good games and got the golden boot he deserved.

This season he’s looked good still but clearly not the prime world class striker of yesteryear.

I agree we need to sign a striker, 1 to compete with Vards who will probably rotate a lot in 21/22 before 22/23 being a mainstay. The problem will be finding one whose at Vards level, it won’t be possible.

So whilst I agree in general that he’s showing signs of slowing down, he’s still a threat by his movement, positioning and pure threat to the opposition. He needs to sort his finishing out a bit this year as he’s missed a few good chances that’s for sure but I still think he offers more than Nacho and remains first choice 100%.
In Prague I thought Vards was off it, but then Nacho came on and was arguably worse!

We struggled to dictate the middle and Youri was off it a bit and looked tired, Vards now struggles in games where we don’t control the game and can’t make much happen himself as he used to be able.

I always feel a bit disappointed that we didn’t have this squad between 16/17-18/19 when Vards was at peak but in a generally poor team. This team of quality we have coincided with Vards becoming 33/34 and on his last legs.

See...Dortmund have done pretty well in replacing their big strikers over recent years as well as Atletico. I don't buy into this Vardy is irreplaceable thing at all. There's players out there and we've never been in a better position to bring them in, especially if we finish top 4 this season. For some reason our scouting system seems crap at signing wingers and strikers. Whereas we've generally nailed defence and midfield.

I wonder if it's worth us plumping on 2 younger strikers in the 20-25 million mark. Gives us double the chance of hitting gold and would give us plenty of options. Kills me that Haaland went for 20 million haha.

Imagine this team with peak Vardy and Mahrez on the right and Kanté in the mix.

I'd honestly quit football afterwards, it'd never get any better.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, filbertway said:

See...Dortmund have done pretty well in replacing their big strikers over recent years as well as Atletico. I don't buy into this Vardy is irreplaceable thing at all. There's players out there and we've never been in a better position to bring them in, especially if we finish top 4 this season. For some reason our scouting system seems crap at signing wingers and strikers. Whereas we've generally nailed defence and midfield.

I wonder if it's worth us plumping on 2 younger strikers in the 20-25 million mark. Gives us double the chance of hitting gold and would give us plenty of options. Kills me that Haaland went for 20 million haha.

Imagine this team with peak Vardy and Mahrez on the right and Kanté in the mix.

I'd honestly quit football afterwards, it'd never get any better.

I agree you can replace the 34 year old Vardy but it’ll be highly unlikely that we’ll ever get a better striker than prime Vardy, that’s just the reality. Strikers like him in his prime would be going to Real Barca Bayern Man Utd Man City etc he was that good. His unique situation with his age and background meant the real elite clubs didn’t want to take a gamble on a guy who relied on pace and was coming into his 30s.

Theres no doubt based on ability he would of got right to the very top. If he was 20-25 when he was 28-33 he’d of been snapped up any summer from 2016 to 2019.

In that sense, it is a case of him being irreplaceable but right now a younger striker could improve us.

Watkins at Villa would of been a great replacement for me.

Despite all this though, I do think Vards still at this age offers something very unique. As said he’s clearly past his peak but I still think we look much worse without him and as you said ‘he’s below his best this year’ yet he still run Man City ragged, Run Leeds ragged, Turned the game for us at Arsenal, Played the number 9 role fantastically at Spurs, won us the game at Sheffield Utd etc etc. He’s been very crucial still and funnily enough when we’ve been without him we’ve lost and failed to score vs Villa, lost vs Leeds, drew and failed to score vs Wolves and was failing to score vs Arsenal until he came on.

Other than Fulham away, we still struggle without him and look flat. He just has such intelligence and movement that he causes things to happen.

Going back to the striker point though, I agree the summer we need to invest in a striker who can really score 15 goals a season and compete with Vards. Next season for me we’d need 3/4 strikers so we need a top striker and Vards with Nacho behind for depth for the 4 comps we are likely to be in. 

As you said though, prime Vardy Kante and Mahrez in this team would be unbelievable. We could win the treble with those 3 in this squad imo.

• Like 1