Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

3 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

To be fair, the service to him was diabolical tonight. Both Albrighton and Cengo were guilty of not picking him out a few times when he was well placed. 

he was poor and has been for a long time, looks like age and injurys have caught up with him. He hasn’t actually scored many goals at all from open play in the last year. Leicester legend and hope it’s just a blip, but pace has gone, and unfortunately he has never been a good technical player so looks very poor at the moment. Let’s hope it’s just a fitness thing, otherwise we are screwed 

Edited by Cecchini1976
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Create chances for him and he will score. Not buying into this 'past his best' dialogue yet. He is still a top class striker who needs more creativity behind him. 

I agree with others who say that we have waited far too long to sort out a decent plan B striker though. Has to be done this summer! 

Vardy is probably the hardest person to set up chances for if you’re playing against a deep block.

I feel it should be more balanced than that and it is because the threat of him means we should have more space behind him, we really could have done with a Maddison or Nacho tonight. We did nothing to exploit this and whatever Vardy tried to do went wrong. Bad bad day at the office for him and a lot of others.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Create chances for him and he will score. Not buying into this 'past his best' dialogue yet. He is still a top class striker who needs more creativity behind him. 

I agree with others who say that we have waited far too long to sort out a decent plan B striker though. Has to be done this summer! 

Yeah we rely on him too much to save the day and it's just getting tired now. We've been so lucky in the last few seasons vardy hasn't had any long term injuries. We need another option too come on and get the fans excited about and take that pressure of vardy. Problem is we've been saying this for last three seasons yet nothing has been done. I'd even look at Adam Armstrong in the championship if money is tight at least hes young and offers some potential.

Edited by Leicesterpool

2 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

My old man is convinced he’s gone as a top level striker. I’m not so sure, he’s had slumps before and come back strong.

In JV we trust!

Absolutely. 

He's even come back from injuries before. I think he's certainly owed the benefit of the doubt that he can come back and be at the level he was at the start of the season. 

It may even be that he continues to underperform until next season. We don't have an option other than to play him, so we've got to just get behind him. 

Blindly saying "he's had bad spells before so will bounce back" is wishful thinking. He may well have a few more good spells, but the change and decline in him is obvious to all but those with the bluest tined spectacles.  One day he *won't* bounce back. Maybe this time, maybe next time, but sooner rather than later that will happen, you cannot hold off aging no matter how much you wish for it. The old adage of "he needs a goal" is very true in this case and should hopefully help him regain the confidence he needs to finish the season strongly. THEN we have the problem of replacing him, as that has to happen this summer.

Will people stop talking about replacing him or signing competition this summer, as though it's that urgent?

What top quality young player who's banging goals in across Europe or the Championship is going to want to come here if Vardy gets back to his best between now and May? You are going to be looking at second rate players, and they are going to be no better than Iheanacho.

You can have succession plans in areas where there are an abundance of players on the market, like full-back (Justin to Chilwell) or centre-back (Soyuncu to Maguire). But strikers that score lots of goals are so few and far between, that all of them should be starting every week for someone half decent.

Vardy is here for another 2 years after this season. The club perhaps need an alternative option to Iheanacho, but they will not get genuine 'competition' for Vardy before he goes or regresses to a point of being ineffective, just like they won't for Schmeichel.

4 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Will people stop talking about replacing him or signing competition this summer, as though it's that urgent?

Sorry,  it is urgent. We need another option, Vardy’s trajectory WILL be downwards as time progresses and no amount of sentimentality will alter that. We cannot be waiting for him to be bad enough to get someone who is better than this broken Vardy. It is not about replacing the man,  its the position.

It is a super difficult position to recruit for, especially now as there will be several looking, but it just cannot wait.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol I am in awe at the denial on show, fair play lads.

12 goals, 7th top goalscorer in the division, ain't bad is it.

He's just had an operation and I believe that's still affecting him. Sometimes when the camera focuses on him he looks like he's still struggling.

Once he's back to being fully fit he'll be fine and scoring consistently again.

Oh, and the service to him last night was woeful. Aside from that he's been doing okay. Maybe if he had players closer to him he'd have more of the ball.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

12 goals, 7th top goalscorer in the division, ain't bad is it.

He's just had an operation and I believe that's still affecting him. Sometimes when the camera focuses on him he looks like he's still struggling.

Once he's back to being fully fit he'll be fine and scoring consistently again.

Oh, and the service to him last night was woeful. Aside from that he's been doing okay. Maybe if he had players closer to him he'd have more of the ball.

So many of those goals were penalties. If you're unable to look past what is obvious when watching games recently, then there's little to debate. It does seem a bit desperate to continue to hope that somehow Vardy can defy aging and continue to rely on what made him stand out so much - acceleration and pace. He very obviously has lost both and to try to deny it is a bit daft really.  Like I say, I think he still has some goals in him, but he's only heading one way now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flappit said:

So many of those goals were penalties. If you're unable to look past what is obvious when watching games recently, then there's little to debate. It does seem a bit desperate to continue to hope that somehow Vardy can defy aging and continue to rely on what made him stand out so much - acceleration and pace. He very obviously has lost both and to try to deny it is a bit daft really.  Like I say, I think he still has some goals in him, but he's only heading one way now.

Of course he's only going to go one way, he's 34, and it was ridiculous we headed into this season with a 33 going on 34 year old as our main striker. I still think he's not fully fit though and he still worries defenders just having him up top. We need to get a replacement for him though, someone with genuine quality too because it's not easy replacing someone who scores 15+ goals a season for us.

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Some of you don't deserve Jamie Vardy. Never ever question the GOAT. Can play until he's 60 as far as I'm concerned and never score again, but we all know he'll knock 20 in this season still and some of you prats will frantically delete some of this drivel.

Come on Ric, stop being so binary. He is arguably our greatest ever player and his legacy will be in diminished no matter what happens from here on out. I have no doubt he will score the 20 you mention this season, but it needs to stop being a flogging offence for looking for additional forward reinforcements.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Some of you don't deserve Jamie Vardy. Never ever question the GOAT. Can play until he's 60 as far as I'm concerned and never score again, but we all know he'll knock 20 in this season still and some of you prats will frantically delete some of this drivel.

It's nothing short of a disgrace to be quite honest 

• Like 1

What I see missing in Vardy at the moment is his mental sharpness. In the past even in games when he’s had scraps he’s stayed focused in games till the end just waiting to pounce on a defensive mistake or space for him to turn and run into. Yes he’s not had a lot of service but he’s had some chances and his first touch has let him down on occasion. For any other ordinary striker that can be frequently forgiven but Vardy has set an extraordinary standard for himself. Maybe we have to accept like him that some of the magic is wearing off naturally. All we can do is support him and root for him. I want him to finish strong till the day he retires. The pressure he’s feeling is not being able to chip in with the goals at the moment when our team so desperately needs it.

There will be a new striker signed in the summer, but take Man utd for example they sign Cavani, regarded as one of the top strikers in Europe, hes been there nearly 6 months and is only now starting to start games regularly, I'd expect a similar transition with Leicester and Vardy, he has 2 years left, someone will be signed in the summer, but it could be this time next year before that signing is competing for a place, probably missed a trick by not loaning out Kramaric rather then selling him.

5 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

What top quality young player who's banging goals in across Europe or the Championship is going to want to come here if Vardy gets back to his best between now and May? You are going to be looking at second rate players, and they are going to be no better than Iheanacho.

You can have succession plans in areas where there are an abundance of players on the market, like full-back (Justin to Chilwell) or centre-back (Soyuncu to Maguire). But strikers that score lots of goals are so few and far between, that all of them should be starting every week for someone half decent.

Vardy is here for another 2 years after this season. The club perhaps need an alternative option to Iheanacho, but they will not get genuine 'competition' for Vardy before he goes or regresses to a point of being ineffective, just like they won't for Schmeichel.

There needs to be competition because even if Vardy was at the top of his game, if we got into the Champions League next season, he can't play every Premiership, Cup and European match can he. It will be imperative next year that we challenge for top four again and we can't do that with effectively one striker. 

43 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Come on Ric, stop being so binary. He is arguably our greatest ever player and his legacy will be in diminished no matter what happens from here on out. I have no doubt he will score the 20 you mention this season, but it needs to stop being a flogging offence for looking for additional forward reinforcements.

So much easier said than done though, isn't it?  We all want that, but we also have to be realistic.  I would be gobsmacked if the lack of a solid Vardy backup was for lack of trying.  Fact is to achieve the club's ambitions we want a backup striker with the sort of quality to become a nailed on starter for a Champions League level team in the near future.  Who fits that criteria and would have been happy to join us in the past couple of seasons where we haven't been competing in the CL and Vardy's been in prime form?