Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

We would have won a World Cup and a Euros with Vardy in those England teams, he’s that good - he was the missing link for both of those sides to achieve national glory, just keeps proving how immense he is, it’s his footballing intelligence that gets me, he’s added that to his game and I don’t see many English strikers who have it - definitely not Rashford/Abraham/Calvert Lewen etc at least!

Without him we’d be bottom of the league, he’s the only light this season so far. Frightening to think he’s getting closer and closer to the time to call it quits 😭 

• Like 4

Just now, TAFKA Castroneves said:

We would have won a World Cup and a Euros with Vardy in those England teams, he’s that good - he was the missing link for both of those sides to achieve national glory, just keeps proving how immense he is, it’s his footballing intelligence that gets me, he’s added that to his game and I don’t see many English strikers who have it - definitely not Rashford/Abraham/Calvert Lewen etc at least!

Without him we’d be bottom of the league, he’s the only light this season so far. Frightening to think he’s getting closer and closer to the time to call it quits 😭 

That's what breaks my heart. I will never forgive Southgate for the semi final v Croatia. NEVER.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

That's what breaks my heart. I will never forgive Southgate for the semi final v Croatia. NEVER.

100% it was made for him, he should have started over Sterling it was beyond obvious, Vards was fresh - teams were coming at us more with higher lines (like Croatia did) and every time Sterling got put through Vardy-style he missed 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by TAFKA Castroneves

1 minute ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

100% it was made for him, he should have started over Sterling it was beyond obvious, Vards was fresh - teams were coming at us more with higher lines (like Croatia did) and every time Sterling got put through Vardy-style he missed 🤦‍♂️ 

That's a good point. And Kane would have been shot if he was a horse.

• Haha 1

Just now, trabuch said:

That's a good point. And Kane would have been shot if he was a horse.

Ironically I had no issue with Vards not starting any of the games - up until Croatia. Columbia was the first sign teams were beginning to open up against us with higher lines and be braver - so we hung on and won the pen shootout. 

Kane wasn’t the problem - while he’s more effective being fresher and higher up the pitch he was doing okay at being deeper and spraying balls - but when you do that you need a proper poacher. Sterling at that time wasn’t finishing for Man City or England (to his credit he’s got better since but he’s still no Vards)

Southgate if he had his eyes open would have seen a fresh Vardy at that point in the tournament wins you it - it’s why I’m not a Southgate fan at all, he’s the sort of manager who gets you so far but can’t adapt that little obvious tweek at the end to win something. Ironically Brendan’s trying his best to do the same at the moment 😂 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Ironically I had no issue with Vards not starting any of the games - up until Croatia. Columbia was the first sign teams were beginning to open up against us with higher lines and be braver - so we hung on and won the pen shootout. 

Kane wasn’t the problem - while he’s more effective being fresher and higher up the pitch he was doing okay at being deeper and spraying balls - but when you do that you need a proper poacher. Sterling at that time wasn’t finishing for Man City or England (to his credit he’s got better since but he’s still no Vards)

Southgate if he had his eyes open would have seen a fresh Vardy at that point in the tournament wins you it - it’s why I’m not a Southgate fan at all, he’s the sort of manager who gets you so far but can’t adapt that little obvious tweek at the end to win something. Ironically Brendan’s trying his best to do the same at the moment 😂 

It's true. I'd have loved to have seen more Vardy with Kane (much like I'd like to see more Vardy with Nacho)

34 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

4 more goals and he passes Anelka, Robbie Keane & Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.  

If he can get to 151, he goes top 10 and passes Michael Owen, Les Ferdinand, Teddy Sheringham & RVP.

When you think about how highly regarded these PL legends are, it's just astonishing that Vardy is up there. I still can't quite believe it he's amassed so many goals for us and is amongst so many elite, legendary, iconic PL strikers. 

And yet plenty of fans, mainly non-Leicester ones, still struggle to admit just how good he is. Maybe they don't realise he's in such fine company and now deserves the utmost appreciation. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Bert said:

I didn’t think he’d do so well this season but happy to be proved wrong. Just seems to be so much better when Barnes plays regardless if Barnes is doing it. Thought he scuffed his finish a bit today but they all count! 

Maybe, but he's so good that even his scuffed shots are better than anyone else's. :D :scarf:

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

When you think about how highly regarded these PL legends are, it's just astonishing that Vardy is up there. I still can't quite believe it he's amassed so many goals for us and is amongst so many elite, legendary, iconic PL strikers. 

And yet plenty of fans, mainly non-Leicester ones, still struggle to admit just how good he is. Maybe they don't realise he's in such fine company and now deserves the utmost appreciation. 

And also - there are only 7 players of 100 club to have a better goal:game ratio. Shearer, Aguero, Henry, Kane, Van Persie, Wright and Salah. Underappreciated doesn’t even come close.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mohammedsaqib said:

And also - there are only 7 players of 100 club to have a better goal:game ratio. Shearer, Aguero, Henry, Kane, Van Persie, Wright and Salah. Underappreciated doesn’t even come close.

And all of those aside maybe Wright and Van Persie, spent a majority of their career in a team pushing top 2/3.(Kane few seasons now not but the bulk of his goals came in a top team under poch).

Vards has done it in largely a poor mid table team or a good team but below the elite 4 clearly.

I truly believe if prime Vardy played in teams as good as Aguero, Henry, Shearer and Salah he would do as good if not better in terms of goals. Of course the likes of Henry and Salah are ridiculous technically away from the box and Vards isn’t but as a relentless number 9, a goal scorer, finisher and strikers movement and understanding of the role, he’s right up there with the best I’ve ever seen.

Hes a better version of an Andy Cole, Micheal Owen, Robbie Fowler and Jermaine Defoe type who mainly were good with pace but losing a yard dropped them to average players.
Vardys peak pace of the first years went a good few years ago, but he’s just so much more than that..it’s the movement, positioning and understanding that people don’t see that.

His way into the game so late meant he had to spend a majority of his career past his physical peak so to achieve what he has is simply remarkable.

He needs 4 more to get past 3 more players in the 100 club.

He also needs 4 more to go past Wright to be the top 30+ goal scorer(10 more to be probably the first and ONLY player to get create a 30+ 100 club!) I Couldn’t see anyone ever doing that so would be another fantastic record he could make which I really hope he does!

26 more to hit 150 might be tougher. Would probably need to get to 20 this year and a decent last season still at 35 going on 36! A lot to ask but who knows with this freak of a player!

What a hero!

I really hope there’s a petition for our big new east stand to be named ‘The Jamie Vardy Stand’. He is the single biggest reason we got world wide notice in 15/16 and to stay with us his career when he could of moved to Arsenal and achieve the records and trophies that he has, it’s undoubtedly for me the reason we’re known around the world and more likely to fill a 40k+ stadium.
It would be fitting for him! Undoubtedly the greatest player to ever put on our shirt bar none.

• Like 3

I hope the narrative when he's talked about in years to come isn't that he was just a kick and rush merchant. The variety of goals he's got in his repertoire shows he's so much more than that. He's got so much technical ability but I feel his pace is always what people attribute to him. Obviously not us Leicester fans

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I hope the narrative when he's talked about in years to come isn't that he was just a kick and rush merchant. The variety of goals he's got in his repertoire shows he's so much more than that. He's got so much technical ability but I feel his pace is always what people attribute to him. Obviously not us Leicester fans

This is why I think he's so heavily under appreciated in general by football fans. 

The way he's changed his game as well over the last 2-3 seasons shows his intelligence too. 

• Like 1

I'm still I'm search of the bloke behind me at Peterborough away.  When him and waghorn come on he just shouted "SEND HIM BACK TO THE CONFERENCE PEARSON, YOU GOT IT WRONG"

I am so worried about his retirement. I think he might leave a year sooner than he probably could manage because of the US stuff too.

11 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

The best to ever wear the shirt.

100%! 

I find it amazing how every pundit mentions that he hasnt touched the ball much, as if its rare. Its quite simple, we give him the ball when its time to score! 

Only world class players can go without touching the ball for the majority of the game but still finish with class when they get it. He just waits for his moment like a fox hunting a rabbit. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

On 04/10/2021 at 10:17, StanSP said:

It’s mad how good he is. I know it’s all ifs and buts and he may not even have been as good if he took a more “normal” footballing route but had he broken through at 20 in the premier league he could really have been the GOAT all time England striker. As others have said. He’s genuinely world class. X 

If you take away the PL title and FA cup from vardy, he's still come from non league and scored 124 goals with 39 assists in the Prem, oldest golden boot winner and broken van nistelrooys record, played at every level of the FA cup and qualified for europe 3 times all with leicester city, a side which he joined in the championship. Even without the titles it's still a close contest between him and Kane who has an insane goal record but spurs were already decent level as a club when he came onto the scene (he made them regular UCL qualifiers though), and he wasnt even involved in their iconic CL run. I would say without the titles Kane probably edges it barely with 3 golden boots, a more prominent international career and more goals in UCL, but it's still incredibly close in a comparison that doesnt even include Vardy's titles, if you include the PL and FA cup vardy's career is miles ahead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1