Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

6 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Goughie was coming from personal accolades rather than team performances. Hence why he isnt bothered about the trophies.

But Vardys personal accolades arent that far behind Kanes. Vardy was a penalty miss away from a 2nd Golden Boot. 11 Heaven record. The personal story of rags to riches is better than Kanes. Vardy has scored for England, his first being that filthy flick passed one of the greatest keepers ever, and if he was the 'poster boy' he would have just as many goals if not more.

Kanes career, at this moment, will be filled with What If's. Vardy's career is cemented in history with the trophies on show

You know, I've often wondered if Vardy missed that penalty on purpose, letting Kane have the Golden Boot as a consolation prize.

Even though Alan Shearer scored 260 goals in this league; if Vardy had started playing in this league at the age when he started (20?), I'd be confident that he'd surpass his record by a bit of a distance.

• Like 3

On 07/10/2021 at 11:36, honeybradger said:

If you take away the PL title and FA cup from vardy, he's still come from non league and scored 124 goals with 39 assists in the Prem, oldest golden boot winner and broken van nistelrooys record, played at every level of the FA cup and qualified for europe 3 times all with leicester city, a side which he joined in the championship. Even without the titles it's still a close contest between him and Kane who has an insane goal record but spurs were already decent level as a club when he came onto the scene (he made them regular UCL qualifiers though), and he wasnt even involved in their iconic CL run. I would say without the titles Kane probably edges it barely with 3 golden boots, a more prominent international career and more goals in UCL, but it's still incredibly close in a comparison that doesnt even include Vardy's titles, if you include the PL and FA cup vardy's career is miles ahead.

This post is absolutely the nail on the head of what I was thinking watching that rubbish of talksport.

I was thinking ‘typical biast media’ because it’s golden boy Kane.

As you said, forget the trophies, it’s a very genuine question whose better before you add the trophies then it’s no question.

There talking like Kane’s Kane and Vardy has 10 prem goals and had a been a bit part of a career but got the trophies!!

Vardy has 1 golden boot still to Kane’s 3. Would of had 2 if he didn’t sky that penalty which is irritating looking back to it.

This playing for a team that’s only once been in the top 4 compared to Kane’s career when Spurs We’re the top 2/3 teams for a good majority of the time.

Funny thing is Kane has 1 golden boot since 2017 when they dropped below a top 2 pushing team. Vardy was a pen away from 2 golden boots, in possibly the only 2 seasons he even has a chance due to the rest of them us scrambling relegation or at best a turgid mid table Puel team(a season in which he still got 20 remarkably).

If you took away trophies, it’s close but I’d personally still go for Vardy. 124 prem goals to 166 is not a massive difference, especially considering Kane had better teams for at least 4 of the seasons(14/15 16/17-8/19 they were head and shoulders ahead of us). Compared to (15/16 19/20 and 20/21 where 15/16 they were still very good and 20/21 Vardy is clearly getting on a bit) 19/20 is the only season Vardy had it noticeably better and he smashed 17 goals in 18 games before he got injured to prove the levels of numbers he could get to playing in a team dominating week in week out.

It’s a no brainier but the actual question they asked with the trophies isn’t even a question and just proves how much they want to brown nose golden boy himself.

Kane has 3 golden boots and 1 golden boot in a World Cup from penalty’s. Ronaldo won the golden boot in the latest Euros by pens and tap ins, it means nothing really and certainly not the ‘I’d rather Kane’s career, he’s got a golden boot in the World cup’.

Vardy has got 124 Prem goals having had 1 at 28 years old(Kane’s age right now!).

- He has the record for 11 consecutive games scoring in the Prem. he also has an 8 game run as well which is like joint 4/5th if I remember rightly.

- He has the best record vs the big 6 over any other player by a distance too.

- He has 2 hat tricks vs Pep. Only 3 have ever done that 2 Vardy 1 Messi. Levels!

- He has 90 goals at 30+ fingers crossed will add that to his list of achievements, maybe even be the first to enter a 30+ 100 club.

- Hes the only player to play in every round of the FA Cup ever.

- Hes the only player to score vs an away team in 3 different stadiums(White hart lane, Wembley, Tottenham Hotspur stadium).

- He has a golden boot and I’m the PFA team of the year twice.

That’s before we even get to the honours.

- Hes won the Premier league. Not just any premier league either. The greatest of all time.

- FA Cup

- Charity Shield

- Championship

- Conferernce

- National League

Done it all having to prove himself around all kinds of dross. When Kane did that he looked like a fish up a tree in loan spells(We know that more than anyone, he looked awful).

Kanes an all time great striker and has the media’s love to push that narrative maybe even higher than he is in reality.

Vardy has played for an unfashionable club and will never get the same level of respect due to not playing at an elite club and coming through so late.

Media ‘want’ and ‘need’ Kane to be good to get hits from fan boys around the world. Vardy isn’t in the spotlight, so no need to really look into it.

Reality is Vardy is better than Kane and would of been one of the greatest strikers of all time had he come through young and played at a Top club where he’d not be so icolated.

Its hard to compare different eras but in this era only Kane and Aguero scored more and that proves how good he is as those 2 both had fantastic teams(Aguero for his entire career in the prem). There is absolutely no chance Vardy wouldn’t do as good if not better in those circumstances.

The best way would be, would Kane if won us the league in 15/16? No imo. Would Vardy of hot golden boots in world cups actually getting 90 mins vs Panama and Tunisia and having penalties galore?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Desperate for him to surpass Michael Owen after his comments a few years ago

He's on to do it by the end of next season if he can stay fit and firing. He's actually closer than I thought, already on 124 now.

26 more to go! All being well, he's fair money for at least another ten this year, so one more 15 goal season is enough to top that grumpy sod's total of 150.

It will put him in the all time top ten as well. At this point he may as well be more ambitious and target Defoe or Fowler's numbers (162 and 163 respectively). I do get the feeling Lukaku will muscle in there during his career, so he'll want to topple one more name to get a solid grip on a place in the top ten. :scarf:

I confess I thought the decline had truly started last season when Iheanacho had to step up during his dry spell, but he's proven me wrong. Confident he still has a twenty goal season in him this year, and another 2-3 years left in him at the top level. We're so bloody lucky to now have two top-class forwards in good form, because it's saving our blushes with the dross we're otherwise playing.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

I do get the feeling Lukaku will muscle in there during his career, so he'll want to topple one more name to get a solid grip on a place in the top ten. :scarf:

Salah will probably overtake him as well 

On 07/10/2021 at 18:46, purpleronnie said:

The fact we've spent a fortune on trying to get another striker as good as vardy (and failing every time) shows how great he is.

Not sure it’s that we have failed(though it is almost impossible). 

vardy is so good still the others don’t get a chance, you have to remember at both championship and premier league level he needed a season to get up to speed. So daka etc… should be afforded that too, though granted they cost a lot more.

• Like 1

I mean Iheanacho has already proven he's more than good enough, I don't see what more the man has to do to prove himself to people lol

The issue is that Vardy is the golden boy, so no matter how poorly he plays for so long, he has unlimited chances to get back into form and people will have a list of excuses a mile long for him.

No other player is afforded that. I get it, football fans are generally driven by emotion and hope rather than logic, so a legend like Vardy will always be looked on favourably.  I can't even imagine what he'd have to do to tarnish the respect he has of the fan base. 

I refuse to believe that Kel wouldn't deliver similar numbers, if not better, if he was allowed to play 90 minutes week in week out regardless of performance as well as take penalties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I mean Iheanacho has already proven he's more than good enough, I don't see what more the man has to do to prove himself to people lol

The issue is that Vardy is the golden boy, so no matter how poorly he plays for so long, he has unlimited chances to get back into form and people will have a list of excuses a mile long for him.

No other player is afforded that. I get it, football fans are generally driven by emotion and hope rather than logic, so a legend like Vardy will always be looked on favourably.  I can't even imagine what he'd have to do to tarnish the respect he has of the fan base. 

I refuse to believe that Kel wouldn't deliver similar numbers, if not better, if he was allowed to play 90 minutes week in week out regardless of performance as well as take penalties.

Most fans probably now believe Iheanacho should be in the team. 

Vardy didn't have a great season last year (although he and Iheanacho linked up well during his lean spell) but you can't argue he's been very sharp this season. He does get leeway but he's also got a back catalogue to prove he's still capable. 

• Like 1

On 07/10/2021 at 12:36, honeybradger said:

If you take away the PL title and FA cup from vardy, he's still come from non league and scored 124 goals with 39 assists in the Prem, oldest golden boot winner and broken van nistelrooys record, played at every level of the FA cup and qualified for europe 3 times all with leicester city, a side which he joined in the championship. Even without the titles it's still a close contest between him and Kane who has an insane goal record but spurs were already decent level as a club when he came onto the scene (he made them regular UCL qualifiers though), and he wasnt even involved in their iconic CL run. I would say without the titles Kane probably edges it barely with 3 golden boots, a more prominent international career and more goals in UCL, but it's still incredibly close in a comparison that doesnt even include Vardy's titles, if you include the PL and FA cup vardy's career is miles ahead.

Though to be fair..100% of fans would be more than Happy to have had either of these careers

Including like other demeaned, belittled players in their eye has easy  SMedia fodder...

The modern young Football fan is just the same gaggle of older Andy Capp Type fans....Born to be damn miserable OTT misgogs...

56 minutes ago, Corky said:

Most fans probably now believe Iheanacho should be in the team. 

Vardy didn't have a great season last year (although he and Iheanacho linked up well during his lean spell) but you can't argue he's been very sharp this season. He does get leeway but he's also got a back catalogue to prove he's still capable. 

And that's the thing - he did turn provider and was heavily involved in a lot of goals that Kelechi put away. It only really served to cement the view that there's more to his game than just being a speedy, off-the-last-man striker, which is the sort of tired line folks like Owen have been parroting for quite some time.

Though that being said, a lot of his goals and play this year have been 'old school' Vardy, which has been nice to see given he's also scored at the end of some silky team moves. The fact both he and Iheanacho seem in good form is the only true positive to take from us so far this year.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1