Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GeorgeTheFox

Jamie Vardy Appreciation

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

What are you all going to do when he retires?

Recon I’ll take up golf or something, pointless watching City without him. Honestly baffled weekly as to how we have ended up with one of the best strikers the league has ever seen. **** me

League? World surely? 

• Like 1

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

These days, yeah, but would've been nice to see him get more than a handful of minutes against a glacial Croatia defence.  Oh what could have been.

I genuinely thought he was going to score the winning goal in the World Cup final that year. Southgate has ruined so many of my dreams.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The finish was sublime, but it was his intelligent movement that created the space. Took the defenders into 6-yard box then pulled back out into the pocket of space left behind. Credit to him for continuing to add new facets to his game.

He didn't go into the 6 yard box, he just stayed around the penalty spot, the defenders tried getting ahead of the run they thought he'd make, it's his patience and intelligence that made the space, not his movement on this occasion. 

I'd be interested to see if we could have a list of the number of games a player has scored in rather than overall goals. Aguero, Shearer, Kane and a lot of the players ahead of him have scored many hattricks but Vardy only has three which makes his goal scoring feat even more remarkable, as he has got his goals from more games proportionally. 

I think Vardy is finally going to get the respect he deserves from fans outside of leicester this season:

3 goals away from being Leicester's 3rd highest scorer ever

3 PL goals from being top PL goalscorer after the age of 30

9 PL goals away from being the first player to score 100 PL goals after the age of 30

Outside chance of 20 goals in 30 games to overtake RVP in PL scoring charts

25 goals for top 10 in the PL scoring charts (hopefully next season)

7 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Id love to compare to them all but couldnt be bothered. However thought it was a very good question so I looked into his and compared to Kane.

Vardy - 125 Goals/253 Apps.

125 in 100 games - 80% of his total in separate games.

Crazy you should say that and I realise that iconic goal was his 100th game hes scored in(His first was our only other win at home vs Man Utd in the Prem history - both super iconic too).

Kane - 167 Goals/252 Apps.

167 in 118 games - 70.6% of his total in separate games.

So despite scoring 42 more goals, hes only scored in 18 more games.

I think Vardy will probably be one of the best, which backs the argument clearly that - 'If he'd played for a better team he'd of scored even more'. Id like to see if any striker has had a higher than 80% of his total goals in separate games.

This is why Vardy is underrated in terms of, Yes hes clearly rated by most now but he really should be seen to be up there with the greatest due to how he can score goals in harder situations and tighter games.

One thing I also noticed was Kane very very rarely(like were talking maybe 1 or 2 games max) scored in games where they have lost. Games Spurs have lost over the years he tends to disappear in but has a huge bundle more in games where they are already winning by 2+(7 in 2 at the end of 16/17 vs Us and Hull stand out). Vardy cant 'stat peddle' in the way most of the greats can because he hasnt played for a big 6 dominant team who control games so much and over the season will have lots of dead cruising games. Vards hasnt had many 3-0 up at home to Burnley type situations where he cant get 2s and 3s and add easy goals.(Ironic thing is 2 of his hat tricks were vs arguably the greatest manager of all time).

Its no coincidence that when we've been one of the best 2-4 teams in the county(15/16 and 19/20 early season 8 wins in a row) hes had mental runs of numbers and streaks but its impossible to maintain that because he plays for Us - a team that will never be able to compete 'long term' with the power 6 and therefore a few injuries/form of players means he has a poor/average team for huge chunks of his career that stop him maintaining those ridiculous levels he has shown. This is why others get numbers by playing for such dominant teams - The likes of Henry and Shearer playing in a top 2 team the whole of their peak. Kane also playing for 3/4 years with a Spurs team, top 2/3. They have dropped recently and as have Kanes numbers on the whole since 17/18. 

To weigh it all up, Id imagine the likes of Alan Shearer, Aguero, Ruud Van Nisteroy, Andy Cole, Henry etc would be very similar to Kane in terms of dominant teams dominant spells, but we'd never know how there ratios would hold up if playing for a 'little Leicester' or similar.

Cole was proof when he dropped down and was a journeyman, the others were lucky enough to stay at the very top.

It sounds like im discrediting other greats which im not as they are all fantastic to still do it consistently, but what it does suggest is there's a CLEAR advantage to playing in hugely dominant teams.

So what it really suggests is - Jamie Vardy would of been every bit as good if not better than any striker to ever play in the Prem.

It also shows how biast the media are about big 6 clubs and the hypocrisy shown with the super league stuff when they do the same.

Thats the only reason Vardy isnt mentioned in the same breath as an Aguero Shearer etc.

Thanks for doing that analysis and when compared to Kane it clearly shows Vardy scores his goals in more games then compared to Kane. Your point around if he played in a better team or even a more free flowing team then his numbers could be even more scary is valid, as Spurs and other teams have been better than us for the vast period of time since we've been promoted so if he was at a Man City or Chelsea, he could have had 150+ goals already by now. 

I think the way those other greats are revered by their fans and pundits alike is unfair when they now talk about Jamie Vardy. He's done it in an unfashionable team, especially under Puel and Shakespeare and he doesn't get talked about in those world class conversations like the others. For me, he's such a unique player and so consistent in his overall play that he makes it into that bracket, which is a shame as England never exploited his talents. He's the player that would have made a difference in the semi final and final they lost of the last two major tournament. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I think Vardy is finally going to get the respect he deserves from fans outside of leicester this season:

3 goals away from being Leicester's 3rd highest scorer ever

3 PL goals from being top PL goalscorer after the age of 30

9 PL goals away from being the first player to score 100 PL goals after the age of 30

Outside chance of 20 goals in 30 games to overtake RVP in PL scoring charts

25 goals for top 10 in the PL scoring charts (hopefully next season)

Not forgetting the 11 in 11. One of the greatest moments ever. 

20 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Yesterday’s goal was no miss-hit. Knew he needed to get the swerve on it to bend it away from De Gea. Honestly I cannot believe the goal hasn’t been spoken about more, the finish is utterly sublime.

To be fair Chris Sutton of all people was lauding the goal on 606

• Like 2

On 16/10/2021 at 23:35, Carl the Llama said:

Sadly England.

They had their chance when he was at his best but sadly he didn't fit the big club profile (albeit that he was a top scorer with a Premiership winning side). Taken on tour because Southgate in the media daren't leave him out but cringingly just left him on the bench, what an utter muppet. Couldn't see beyond the end of his big nose and realise that he could have been devastating with Kane.

Selfishly, it's better for us and he gets to stay and spend time with his lovely family. Still doing it and putting others to shame, what legend!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Id love to compare to them all but couldnt be bothered. However thought it was a very good question so I looked into his and compared to Kane.

Crazy you should say that and I realise that iconic goal was his 100th game hes scored in(His first was our only other win at home vs Man Utd in the Prem history - both super iconic too).

I think Vardy will probably be one of the best, which backs the argument clearly that - 'If he'd played for a better team he'd of scored even more'. Id like to see if any striker has had a higher than 80% of his total goals in separate games.

This is why Vardy is underrated in terms of, Yes hes clearly rated by most now but he really should be seen to be up there with the greatest due to how he can score goals in harder situations and tighter games.

One thing I also noticed was Kane very very rarely(like were talking maybe 1 or 2 games max) scored in games where they have lost. Games Spurs have lost over the years he tends to disappear in but has a huge bundle more in games where they are already winning by 2+(7 in 2 at the end of 16/17 vs Us and Hull stand out). Vardy cant 'stat peddle' in the way most of the greats can because he hasnt played for a big 6 dominant team who control games so much and over the season will have lots of dead cruising games. Vards hasnt had many 3-0 up at home to Burnley type situations where he cant get 2s and 3s and add easy goals.(Ironic thing is 2 of his hat tricks were vs arguably the greatest manager of all time).

Its no coincidence that when we've been one of the best 2-4 teams in the county(15/16 and 19/20 early season 8 wins in a row) hes had mental runs of numbers and streaks but its impossible to maintain that because he plays for Us - a team that will never be able to compete 'long term' with the power 6 and therefore a few injuries/form of players means he has a poor/average team for huge chunks of his career that stop him maintaining those ridiculous levels he has shown. This is why others get numbers by playing for such dominant teams - The likes of Henry and Shearer playing in a top 2 team the whole of their peak. Kane also playing for 3/4 years with a Spurs team, top 2/3. They have dropped recently and as have Kanes numbers on the whole since 17/18. 

To weigh it all up, Id imagine the likes of Alan Shearer, Aguero, Ruud Van Nisteroy, Andy Cole, Henry etc would be very similar to Kane in terms of dominant teams dominant spells, but we'd never know how there ratios would hold up if playing for a 'little Leicester' or similar.

Cole was proof when he dropped down and was a journeyman, the others were lucky enough to stay at the very top.

It sounds like im discrediting other greats which im not as they are all fantastic to still do it consistently, but what it does suggest is there's a CLEAR advantage to playing in hugely dominant teams.

So what it really suggests is - Jamie Vardy would of been every bit as good if not better than any striker to ever play in the Prem.

It also shows how biast the media are about big 6 clubs and the hypocrisy shown with the super league stuff when they do the same.

Thats the only reason Vardy isnt mentioned in the same breath as an Aguero Shearer etc.

Great stuff, really interesting that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

It's difficult to devise a metric which adequately quantifies the value of a goal. For example, Jamie scored a hat-trick when we beat Southampton 9-0 but we were 4-0 up when he got his first and the game was dead and buried, so I would argue that his hat-trick on that occasion was much less valuable than, to take another example from Hampshire, the late equaliser he scored at Bournemouth in the 2015/16 season.

You'd need to take into account the number of goals a player has scored, the number of points gained from those games in which he scored and then somehow adjust the weighting depending on the narrowness of the result or the effect on the points total if his goal(s) were disregarded. But even that is a crude method.

For example, would it be accurate to describe his goal on Saturday as the ''winning goal''? It put us 3-2 up but we won 4-2 in the end. But would we have scored a 4th if he hadn't scored the 3rd? I doubt it very much.

4 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

It's difficult to devise a metric which adequately quantifies the value of a goal. For example, Jamie scored a hat-trick when we beat Southampton 9-0 but we were 4-0 up when he got his first and the game was dead and buried, so I would argue that his hat-trick on that occasion was much less valuable than, to take another example from Hampshire, the late equaliser he scored at Bournemouth in the 2015/16 season.

You'd need to take into account the number of goals a player has scored, the number of points gained from those games in which he scored and then somehow adjust the weighting depending on the narrowness of the result or the effect on the points total if his goal(s) were disregarded. But even that is a crude method.

For example, would it be accurate to describe his goal on Saturday as the ''winning goal''? It put us 3-2 up but we won 4-2 in the end. But would we have scored a 4th if he hadn't scored the 3rd? I doubt it very much.

Vardy has three PL hattricks, two against Man City and one against Southampton. Kane has eight and Aguero has 12. I'd argue Kane and Aguero amongst all those ahead of him in the scoring charts had scored more goals at times when their team were more dominant, whereas Vardy has scored the "harder goal" when the game is still on a knife edge. It's impossible to measure as you say, but I'd fancy my chances that being the case. But like you mentioned the more valuable goal is when the game is on a tightrope and the fact that Vardy's goals are more spread just proves he scores more valuable goals. 

Vardy's record against the big 6 as a result speaks for itself. But his record against all clubs is consistently good.