Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

I had to listen to it on the radio as I was on my way down to Spurs new stadium for the NFL.

Lovely stadium and great facilities, but christ they have really crammed the rows in to get people as close to the pitch as possible. I was right near the back of the top tier and it was effing vertical climbing up all those stairs. And because of that, the rows are so narrow that when you squeeze past people to get in and out, you feel like you are going to fall down over the next row. Like shuffling along a cliff edge. 

Edited by The Bear

He played him as a striker regularly towards the end of last season and he looked useless. I never wanted to see him there again! 

They've just got him working hard on looking up when he has the ball and actually moving off the ball instead of standing there waiting for it. That and not running at full pelt all the time. 80% of top speed for him is fast enough most of the time and gives him more control over what he does. 

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I had to listen to it on the radio as I was on my way down to Spurs new stadium for the NFL.

Lovely stadium and great facilities, but christ they have really crammed the rows in to get people as close to the pitch as possible. I was right near the back of the top tear and it was effing vertical climbing up all those stairs. And because of that, the rows are so narrow that when you squeeze past people to get in and out, you feel like you are going to fall down over the next row. Like shuffling along a cliff edge. 

.... bit like Poch then? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

I mean, again, yes, ish.

I'm going to admit to having a subscription to the Times. I'm wondering if that's why I'm the only one who seems capable of reading it :ph34r:

"Maguire cost United £85 million from Leicester City, with another £5 million in potential add-ons;"

So according to the article it's 90 million if we realise the add-ons

Have you got a subscription to the Athletic? They did a long detailed article on the transfer, where Whitwell (who is super reliable on us) said just £80m up front.

The missed opportunity for United was not going for Klopp soon as Fergie retired. Instead the board listened to Fergie and went for Moyes.... I mean on paper even back then who had better CV?

I still feel having Fergie still around the club isn't helping issues, he's still interfering in some ways which is not helping any new manager who goes in there. The prime example was when Mourihno was there... Fergie hated Mourihno and probably was unhappy that board went for him. I think behind Mourhino's back Fergie was in still contact with some of the current players... putting things into there mind, trying to make out what a bad manager Mourhino is. 

49 minutes ago, brucey said:

Have you got a subscription to the Athletic? They did a long detailed article on the transfer, where Whitwell (who is super reliable on us) said just £80m up front.

No.

I did say in my previous post I take any numbers with a pinch of unowot. I only got involved this time because people were saying they couldn't see Maguire mentioned in the Times article!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

I mean, again, yes, ish.

I'm going to admit to having a subscription to the Times. I'm wondering if that's why I'm the only one who seems capable of reading it :ph34r:

"Maguire cost United £85 million from Leicester City, with another £5 million in potential add-ons;"

So according to the article it's 90 million if we realise the add-ons

Or maybe we just think it's BS and you are simply following the Times party line. 

Just because a writer in the Times says it, that doesn't mean it's true. Times , Sun pretty similar for sport's knowledge.

Guest MattP
12 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Why would you? He's paid 4M a year for a job he'd never get if it wasn't for his goal in '99.

He's a shit manager who massively failed at Cardiff and coached in a fishermen's league. He gutted his squad, thinking that he could replicate the '92 class by throwing his youngsters in the PL without any real preparation and put faith in bang average senior players. He sold the board the "United Way" pipe dream and is being found out week in week out. They'll be what...16th-17th if they lose to Liverpool which is more than likely? They didn't win a single away game since he's been permanently appointed and they average something like a goal per game. He'll drag them down to the bottom table and relegation battle is a real possibility if they don't sack him.

He'll get the boot before Christmas and I bet my house that he'll never manage in England ever again. Not even in the Championship.

This is spot on, how did Manchester United end up with him in charge?

If you did an NFL draft of PL managers Ole would genuinely be the twentieth pick. The worst manager in the Premier League. 

13 hours ago, surrifox said:

Err - it says we are owed part of the £74 million that their audited accounts are showing as a provision for amounts due to clubs for add ins in transfer deals . That seems pretty unambiguous but if you don’t think so well fair enough I guess 

It's gone from £44m the season before so a £30m difference. I think you'd be fair to assume at least a third of that relates to Maguire but it was continually pointed out we demanded our asking price in full and didnt budge. 

23 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ironically Ole’s former club Molde look set to win the title from the first time since 2014. 

2014 of course being the year he left Molde to join Cardiff and then got the job back in 2015. 

Ultimately he’s a bit shit as a manager 

Molde did when their first ever Title with Ole in charge in 2011 and won it again 2012. I'm not sticking up for the man, because he is out of the depth and shouldn't be anywhere near the United job; but he has had some success.

He'll end up at Derby or some other provincial club sooner rather than later.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Manchester United won't go down. Premier League wouldn't allow it. They would be corruptly kept up.

Did I miss the part where someone actually suggested ManU would go down?

Because they won't.  I mean - come on.  To even suggest it (or that the league would have to step in to prevent it) is silly. 

22 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Because they won't.  I mean - come on.  To even suggest it (or that the league would have to step in to prevent it) is silly. 

Why is it silly? 

They're absolutely awful. 

I mean I don't think they will go down but I also don't think it's wildly impossible. People on here said it was silly to even suggest we were favourites to finish above them for top six. 

Now it's silly to even think they'll go down. 

People need to stop the obsession with judging every club by their reputation, accept that "size" of a club does nothing for on field performance and just look at the actual team. 

Their actual team is a shambles. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I can't see it but they really are shocking. Can't believe we lost to them.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Manchester United won't go down. Premier League wouldn't allow it. They would be corruptly kept up.

I have thought about that. I think it was in Argentina not so long ago that one of their big clubs got relegated, then out of the blue they decided to expand the top division to twice as many teams.

I doubt anything like that would happen here, though. I'm sure they'd want to prevent it, but I can't see how they'd do it without effectively admitting the whole thing's a farce.

Man Utd could be relegated. Might not happen this season, but that club is in a right state from owners to squad.

26 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Why is it silly? 

They're absolutely awful. 

I mean I don't think they will go down but I also don't think it's wildly impossible. People on here said it was silly to even suggest we were favourites to finish above them for top six. 

Now it's silly to even think they'll go down. 

People need to stop the obsession with judging every club by their reputation, accept that "size" of a club does nothing for on field performance and just look at the actual team. 

Their actual team is a shambles. 

No one has railed against the idea of a false “Big 6” this season more than me.  But it’s just as absurd to say ManU is in danger of relegation.  They’re awful by their standards, but consider the personnel on the bottom-feeder sides - there’s just no way in hell.  They’re good for anywhere from about 8th-12th, most likely.  It’s a nice fantasy to picture them in a relegation scrap but it ain’t happening.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

No one has railed against the idea of a false “Big 6” this season more than me.  But it’s just as absurd to say ManU is in danger of relegation.  They’re awful by their standards, but consider the personnel on the bottom-feeder sides - there’s just no way in hell.  They’re good for anywhere from about 8th-12th, most likely.  It’s a nice fantasy to picture them in a relegation scrap but it ain’t happening.

Spoilsport! 

• Haha 1