Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Wilder has had success almost everywhere he's been. You can see why- no excuses and thinks positively.

Plus, you can be sure that all his players like and respect him and would give him everything.

Agree with the sentiment around Chris Wilder. No excuses and just gets on with it. Has high standards and expects those standards to be followed by his team. I was quietly impressed by them when we played them, not the most fancy but they had a great spirit and tried to had a real go.

Will be interesting if he sticks with the Blades for good because he'll be in the frame for bigger jobs come the end of the season.

In the same way our bad results against Wolves, Chelsea and Man United which look even worse in hindsight, the win at Bramall Lane looks better in hindsight. Throw in the point we should have had at Liverpool and we really should be on at least 23 points.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

In the same way our bad results against Wolves, Chelsea and Man United which look even worse in hindsight, the win at Bramall Lane looks better in hindsight. Throw in the point we should have had at Liverpool and we really should be on at least 23 points.

You shouldn’t drink on a Monday Ealing .......

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

it is pretty mad that we've dropped 10 points this season and we shouldn't have dropped any, really. 

23 minutes ago, kingfox said:

On paper their side is Championship standard but Wilder's management brings the best out of them, as we've seen so far this season he expects a lot out of them, even in the games they've lost and played well in, Liverpool for example, their performance got praised but he was having none of it, he was pissed that they didn't get a result.

He is obviously a manager who sets high standards, his team matched those standards tonight. I can see many sides having difficulty against them this season.

Hopefully Wilder can keep them up.

True but will be interesting as to see if he can establish himself as a decent premiership manager. You see plenty of players/coaches come up from the championship and do alright in the short-term but struggle to stay at the top. I personally rate Dean Smith as a better manager but that’s just me. One thing I do like about Wilder though is that he isn’t a woe is me type of guy or a needless moaner at referees like a lot of managers in this league. 

And yep you’re bang on, a lot of teams will struggle there this year. Makes our result v them look good. 

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agree with the sentiment around Chris Wilder. No excuses and just gets on with it. Has high standards and expects those standards to be followed by his team. I was quietly impressed by them when we played them, not the most fancy but they had a great spirit and tried to had a real go.

Will be interesting if he sticks with the Blades for good because he'll be in the frame for bigger jobs come the end of the season.

He should stay. He's such a Yorkshirman isn't unreal. Do great things with Sheffield United then gain the respect of the elite. Can you imagine him managing millionaire primadonnas now? I would definitely pay to watch that Netflix series.

• Haha 2

The most damning thing about that game is that nobody is even remotely surprised that a Sheffield United side with a team of players who've spent the majority of their careers in the lower leagues have beaten Arsenal. The most surprising bit is the absolute ease they did it with. There was no point during that that I thought they were going to throw it away.

Chris Wilder is absolutely top class by the way. I legitimately think he will go to the very top. There's no way you keep doing this without some serious substance. That way they won tonight wasn't luck, that was genuinely good coaching. I actually think as much as it comes across as a bitter rant about any of his own shortcomings, Allardyce actually has a point about perception harming English managers - because if an Argentine manager had come from La Liga, spoken about how he looked up to Bielsa in his early years as a coach and implemented an overlapping centre half set up with such obvious efficiency he'd be getting linked to the very top jobs. Wilder for me is hands down an upgrade for either Arsenal or Manchester United.

As for us - happy ****ing days. We're 3rd in the league and I still don't think we've hit near our best consistently. We really could be in that Champions League again next season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

On paper their side is Championship standard but Wilder's management brings the best out of them, as we've seen so far this season he expects a lot out of them, even in the games they've lost and played well in, Liverpool for example, their performance got praised but he was having none of it, he was pissed that they didn't get a result.

He is obviously a manager who sets high standards, his team matched those standards tonight. I can see many sides having difficulty against them this season.

They aren't going anywhere.  As I said after their match with us - where they flat-out deserved a draw - Wilder has them so well-organized and full of belief that they're going to stay up for sure.  They're limited technically but not punchless - for a lower-table side they have enough industry and flair to get by.  And they aren't afraid of possession, either, when the moment calls for it.  Good manager, serviceable squad.

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yep, got them playing completely to their strengths

I loved it when he was interviewed after we beat them and basically just said they weren't good enough and need to try harder. No Dyche-style money moaning or any other shitty excuses, I've got a lot of respect for him

Mentality of a winner that rubs off on his players.

Tell them they were hard done by and just need the luck, nobody has to try harder.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Mentality of a winner that rubs off on his players.

Tell them they were hard done by and just need the luck, nobody has to try harder.

100% right. Wilder says it how it is.

Really struggling to pick any fault with him.

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Arsenal fans will hate Mike Dean a lot right now but he's got the decisions bang on. 

Disagree mate, may not be a penalty, but never a booking. A lot more contact than Mane, just another inconsistent day from our rubbish referees. 

Anybody who has played at any reasonable standard knows the player has been helped over. Like Saturday when Wood clearly knew he had clipped Evans. If Evans had come past him, fair enough, but Evans was in front of wood - -- Wood knew what he had done. 

Back to to tonight's game, I loath the arsenal, but thought it was a penalty. Anywhere else on the pitch that would have been a foul. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, treer said:

which teams are you thinking are in top 4 race at the moment?

I know we are currently 3rd.

But I see Spurs as a threat. They are bad now but they're still a good side and can put together a crazy tun. We just need to create as big of a gap as we can now.

Arsenal are really average. If we dont beat them at home I will be so dissatisfied. We should finish 5th at the very least.

6 hours ago, kingfox said:

Eddie Howe came up with Bournemouth with a bunch of lower league players (many of them still there) and he has stayed up comfortably ever since whilst playing much better football than Sheffield United.

I like Wilder but they are hard to watch. I hope he doesn't become another Sean Dyche in this league. 

• Like 1