Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Swear this isn't a new discovery, I remember watching a programme a year or so back where this was known and Shearer had gone for a scan to see if he was at risk at that point. 

Constantly heading heavy football's going at pace caused swellings and damage to the brain potentially leading to encephalopathy. This study appears to have just quantified something that was already known 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Swear this isn't a new discovery, I remember watching a programme a year or so back where this was known and Shearer had gone for a scan to see if he was at risk at that point. 

Constantly heading heavy football's going at pace caused swellings and damage to the brain potentially leading to encephalopathy. This study appears to have just quantified something that was already known 

In 2002, the tragic death of Jeff Astle aged just 59 and
the findings that were made post-mortem, raised serious concerns for the game of football and sport in general.

29 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Thing is, the study is based on a group of players who last played in the mid-1970s, when footballs were much heavier. Tragic as it is, football as we know it in 2019 - or indeed, as we have known it for the past 25 years, minimum, is not the cause of these increased dementia rates, and if this study was carried out again in 20 years time you'd see a notable fall-off in the rate of occurrence. Indeed, while I'm not going to claim it was the primary reason, I'd imagine the effect of heading the ball on players was a key reason for that rapid development of the modern football in the years from the 1970 World Cup onwards.

But of course, you'll have the same sort of well-meaning but ill-informed people who oppose safe standing based on what football was like in the 1980s using this to campaign for the end to headers.  :ermm:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Thing is, the study is based on a group of players who last played in the mid-1970s, when footballs were much heavier. Tragic as it is, football as we know it in 2019 - or indeed, as we have known it for the past 25 years, minimum, is not the cause of these increased dementia rates, and if this study was carried out again in 20 years time you'd see a notable fall-off in the rate of occurrence. Indeed, while I'm not going to claim it was the primary reason, I'd imagine the effect of heading the ball on players was a key reason for that rapid development of the modern football in the years from the 1970 World Cup onwards.

But of course, you'll have the same sort of well-meaning but ill-informed people who oppose safe standing based on what football was like in the 1980s using this to campaign for the end to headers.  :ermm:

Agree with you, the technology especially of the football's themselves has massively improved. I'm sure the results would decrease should the studies be focused on those in more recent times.

Did notice how they focused on the negatives rather than the positives of reduced chance of various other conditions.  

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Didn't Evans play for Manure when Vidic was there ...    and didn't Evans say that Maguire was the most complete centre back he has ever played alongside ...  

Maguire probably is more “complete’, as he’s decent on the ball, but he’s not a better defender.

Guest An Sionnach
25 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Maguire probably is more “complete’, as he’s decent on the ball, but he’s not a better defender.

Most important quality in the best centre backs is probably intelligence , that's why I rate John Terry as one of the greatest ever . Its Jonnie Evans' greatest strength as well.

On 20/10/2019 at 16:13, urban.spaceman said:

Honestly not sure whether he means Hamza or Salah. 

On 20/10/2019 at 16:16, StanSP said:

Reported, either way.

Looks to have been banned following the report (not sure if others reported but Twitter said it violated their rules). 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaha Van der Vaart absolutely hates Maguire doesn't he? He was spouting off ages ago an'all about him being the worst player on the pitch in the Nations League vs Holland.

He won't be on Sky Sports News with Kaveh Solhekol any time soon. Almost blasphemous.

11 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Is it just me or does tonight's Arsenal team look pretty rubbish (other than Au-wotsisname-bang)? Mind you Sheff Utd don't exactly look like worldbeaters, either.

......guess 1-0 to the Arsenal.

most people think arsenal are only good because of laca and ausfowfeyang. so no you're not the only one.