Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Villa having spent  £133 million is a big gamble, a complete overhaul isn't always what you need to stay up and as Fulham showed it can be disastrous.

Sheffield United haven't spent too much but that seems to be on a player or two and you wonder if they've added enough depth to the squad to cope. Same goes with Norwich who have spent basically nothing.

It'll be interesting to see how all 3 cope in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if all went down again. 

Would be hilarious if Villa went down having spunked £133m on new players. Not sure it's money well spent tbh. £25m or whatever it was on Tyrone Mings is laughable.

Hoping Norwich stay up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Would be hilarious if Villa went down having spunked £133m on new players. Not sure it's money well spent tbh. £25m or whatever it was on Tyrone Mings is laughable.

Hoping Norwich stay up.

it would be the first time we've seen a team spend big and go down. The £25mill seems a lot but looks to be the norm now sadly. 

19 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

He will drop us like a bad habit the second something slightly bigger comes along.

I think you're right. Anyone who thinks that Brendan will have any "loyalty" towards us is not living on the same planet as I am. Having said that he would need a top club to come in for him and I don't think that'll happen unless he does very well in the league  - that means top 4 - this season or next season. I think he'll be here as long as we want him in reality.

19 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

The bloke doesn't have an agent which explains whenever he says anything strange. 

I find poch refreshing. 

19 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Vardy to only get 10 goals with all thr extra service he'll be getting and the change to a more positive style. Be amazed if he's not in the high teens again.

Total joke. I think he'll score over 20 this year (with a high number of penos). I secretly fancy him for the golden boot. That article was truly stupid with so many of it's predictions.

18 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Stats shmats! I'll take the intangibles over them any day.

Can you measure a Hamza tackle? What about Albrighton's heart or Vardy's balls? 

No, I didn't think so!

Agreed though my wife assures me that you can measure Vardy's balls, if you get his wife's permission.

27 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Villa having spent  £133 million is a big gamble, a complete overhaul isn't always what you need to stay up and as Fulham showed it can be disastrous.

Sheffield United haven't spent too much but that seems to be on a player or two and you wonder if they've added enough depth to the squad to cope. Same goes with Norwich who have spent basically nothing.

It'll be interesting to see how all 3 cope in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if all went down again. 

Surely we learnt before and after our title that spending really means very little. It's buying the correct players that matter. Looking at who villa have bought I wouldn't be surprised to see them to be relegated again this season.

Our two purchases of Tielemans and Perez have been very astute and considering that they could be offset by a Maguire sale we could be an improved team without spending much cash on balance. I'm not so sure of the James purchase, he looks a little slow for the LCFC game but he's young and has potential so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

59 minutes ago, FIF said:

Surely we learnt before and after our title that spending really means very little. It's buying the correct players that matter. Looking at who villa have bought I wouldn't be surprised to see them to be relegated again this season.

Our two purchases of Tielemans and Perez have been very astute and considering that they could be offset by a Maguire sale we could be an improved team without spending much cash on balance. I'm not so sure of the James purchase, he looks a little slow for the LCFC game but he's young and has potential so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Whilst I fully agree with your point, its so difficult to get the step up correct in terms of spending and where to strengthen. Norwich and Villa have done 2 different approaches altogether. Will be incredibly interesting to see how they do.

Villa have spent a lot on some unknown players but some good buys in there. I worry Norwich haven't strengthened enough.

It'll be interesting to see if and when James plays. His highlights make him appear to be similar to Ricardo in terms of ability to be in space up the pitch. Guess we'll see!

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Not sure if its admirable or stupid by Norwich. You don't want to make too many changes but surely you've got to spend more than that. Its not like they were one of the best Championships to ever be promoted.

I found this on a Norwich forum.  Admirably realistic, but also a mindset I'm very grateful our club is outgrowing.

That things have changed, even from our last brief excursion is an understatement. That the Premier League seems that little bit tougher nowadays might just be due to a mythical thing brought about by our three year exclusion, but with even the likes of Bournemouth, Watford and Palace spending millions upon millions it does seem that the bar has risen somewhat and that the whole experience seems more daunting.

However, has it really or is it just because the level of fees to buy even average players seems to have gotten out of all proportion? Even so I am now comfortable with the club's relative frugality, with just the proviso that I feel we must at least spend big in order to harden up our defense .....without busting the wages structure. Not an easy conundrum.

I do feel though that the bottom line is that most of us, as a fan base, are more sophisticated about the financial restrictions that a club like City have, about the need to avoid massive debt and about the fun of finding out if the "alternative way" will be successful or is doomed to failure.

Back to the yo-yo club syndrome again then, but even if we do fail we will surely be in a very strong position, staff-wise and money wise to mount yet another challenge. Our Academy One status remains the jewel in our crown.

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Money is ridculous in this league now.

Remember when Adams got us promoted and was told he had nothing to spend and we were putting our hope into free signings. It's come a long way.

12 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

They'll have to take the cheese out of the trophy cabinet to make room for it. 

The cobwebs will have to be cleared first.

3 hours ago, gerrytaggart said:

The don't bottle it when it really matters. 

They nearly did.....2-0 up with 20 odd minutes remaining......!

33 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7307985/Harvey-Elliott-issues-apology-Harry-Kane-offensive-video-emerges-online.html

What a ****.

Probably not appropriate for Premier League section as that clown will never play in it anyway.

16 year old lad in doing something a bit stupid shocker.

Admittedly it's not great, but people on here say far worse about Kane.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I think Villa have done some good business, yes they've thrown a lot of money about but I think it will keep them safely in the division. 12th/13th.

1 hour ago, Langston said:

16 year old lad in doing something a bit stupid shocker.

Admittedly it's not great, but people on here say far worse about Kane.

16 or not, can't believe you're condoning it, the kid is a little piece of shit.

Also, he's a pro footballer himself and should have some respect for a player the quality of Kane. Hope his career absolutely stalls from here.

I'd be furious if we got promoted in 2019 and spent 1m tbh. 

There's being sensible, patient, making clever signings and then there's spending 1m.

That's like the board just screaming they just want to cash in. 

I'd rather Norwich stay up than the other two so hope it works out for them but eh. Risky. 

3 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

16 or not, can't believe you're condoning it, the kid is a little piece of shit.

Also, he's a pro footballer himself and should have some respect for a player the quality of Kane. Hope his career absolutely stalls from here.

Plenty of grown adults on here have said worse about Harry Kane. 

Choudhary said worse and I assume you don't think he's a piece of shit? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Come on mate, a little over the top? I’m just glad there were no camera phones around when I was 16. 

I did so many dumb things, am I proud of them? Absolutely not, did I learn from them? Of course, it’s part of growing up.

the problem is now everything is filmed and so many people cannot wait to be offended.

Young Harvey will learn from this and grow up a bit and we’ll all move on.

Hoping someone’s career stalls for a young learning experience is ridiculous and way over the top imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haywood_6 said:

Well done Norwich for giving the players who have got them promoted a chance.

Well done on being relegated at the season also. You can still give people a chance and strengthen the squad, even if it's one or two quality additions or very good championship players that improve your chances of going back up should you go down. 

33 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Not exactly condoning it was I? I said it was stupid and it's clearly misjudged.

Thank Christ social media wasn't invented when I was 16, I'm sure I could find stuff I'd wince at if it was.