Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Reckon Lampard will struggle and will be the first to get the sack.

Something tells me Chelsea will have a pretty poor season with this transfer ban of theirs.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

I heard they wanted some ridiculous loan fee for him last season which was like £5m or something 

As the article says it's the 100k a week that's the problem. Sure Danny wants to get his career back on track but doubt he's gonna take a pay cut in order to do that. 

He can't want to get his career back on track enough then. 

He's made millions and is set for life. 

His move hasn't worked out for him and he now needs a fresh start, so he'll have to do something or he'll end up ruining what remains of his career. 

Love him for what he did for us but can't understand why he left when he had it so good here. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

He can't want to get his career back on track enough then. 

He's made millions and is set for life. 

His move hasn't worked out for him and he now needs a fresh start, so he'll have to do something or he'll end up ruining what remains of his career. 

Love him for what he did for us but can't understand why he left when he had it so good here. 

Nah, there will be someone willing to offer him a fairly decent contract if he does stay there till 2022 even if he never kicks another ball for them.

I could be doing him a disservice to be fair there haven't been any offers so he can't exactly accept a pay cut if there isn't one on offer.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

As I've said elsewhere on the forum I am puzzled why Villa are being battered for attempting to bring in better players and I think they will be fine. They've made 11 signings so far I think,  we made 10 when we came up.

And we struggled for most part that season, and only survived thanks to an outstanding last few games.

It's always a gamble bringing in so many fresh faces to a club, gelling as a team and whatnot. Wolves last season, however, proved the opposite. I'll give you that.

Edited by MC Prussian

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Arsenal confirm the signing of Nicholas Pepe. Already been discussed in the thread, but certainly somewhat of a transfer coup for them. They now have a very potent attack, though their defence still remains as it stands fairly shambolic.

Huge signing with a guy with bags of potential.

But, as you said their defence is a shambles. How they haven't been chucking money at their defence is beyond me. Improve that and they have a strong squad

17 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Nah, there will be someone willing to offer him a fairly decent contract if he does stay there till 2022 even if he never kicks another ball for them.

I could be doing him a disservice to be fair there haven't been any offers so he can't exactly accept a pay cut if there isn't one on offer.

Could be wrong but he must have been on 100,000 a week at Leicester with bonuses etc. 

Chelsea would have upped that to 150,000 ish. 

Nobody will pay 1/2 of that for someone who's barely played for a couple of seasons and is rumoured to have some injury issues. 

He'll have to take a huge hit if he wants to resurrect his career or sit in West London and watch his bank account grow. 

Such a waste

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

As I've said elsewhere on the forum I am puzzled why Villa are being battered for attempting to bring in better players and I think they will be fine. They've made 11 signings so far I think,  we made 10 when we came up.

Splitting hairs here but eight excluding under 23s. For the grand total of £11 million. Of which only one of those signings hadn't played in English football. 

There's a fair difference there from spending £20million plus on guys from Belgium, France and Turkey. By my reckoning too, only three of 11 have played in the Premier League too. 

11 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Huge signing with a guy with bags of potential.

But, as you said their defence is a shambles. How they haven't been chucking money at their defence is beyond me. Improve that and they have a strong squad

I reckon they need to improve more than just the defence. I think their central midfield is also weak, Xhaka gets overrun every game, Ozil not interested, Torrerira over-hyped (IMO) and Ramsey gone. Before they had Maitland-Niles sent off against us, I felt we were already dominating the game and had won the midfield battle. Tierney is likely to sign who I think will be a good player, but I think they can be got at almost all over the pitch.

But for sure, quite jealous of the Pepe signing. Imagine a player like that here! would get 10-15 for us easily. Their front 3 is legitimately scary right now.

It will be interesting to see how close we can get to Arsenal this season come the final table. 

Edited by StriderHiryu

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I reckon they need to improve more than just the defence. I think their central midfield is also weak, Xhaka gets overrun every game, Ozil not interested, Torrerira over-hyped (IMO) and Ramsey gone. Before they had Maitland-Niles sent off against us, I felt we were already dominating the game and had won the midfield battle. Tierney is likely to sign who I think will be a good player, but I think they can be got at almost all over the pitch.

But for sure, quite jealous of the Pepe signing. Imagine a player like that here! would get 10-15 for us easily. Their front 3 is legitimately scary right now.

It will be interesting to see how close we can get to Arsenal this season come the final table. 

Great point. 

They lack security and cover in the middle of the pitch. I don't doubt that guendozi will be a good player, but they need more than him and Torrerira, who I agree is a good player but over hyped.

They need a decent cm or 2 and a new CB pairing. As you said, they have a lot of weaknesses, but they'll out score a lot of teams. 

A pepe class player would be amazing, would really push us onwards 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Splitting hairs here but eight excluding under 23s. For the grand total of £11 million. Of which only one of those signings hadn't played in English football. 

There's a fair difference there from spending £20million plus on guys from Belgium, France and Turkey. By my reckoning too, only three of 11 have played in the Premier League too. 

A signing is a signing regardless of age, and our two marque signings had never played premier league football either.

Obviously there is a difference as they have spent a lot of money you are correct but everyone needs to strengthen and if they want to do spending a lot of money on getting the players they want in I don't think that automatically condemns them to the same fate as Fulham who IMO spent rather stupidly.

Fulham's only signings from English clubs last Summer were Mitrovic from Newcastle, Mawson from Swansea and Joe Bryan from Bristol City - the rest were 3 from France, 1 from Turkey and 1 from Germany - though Seri came in with high estimations I believe.

Villa have signed 5 players from Premier League clubs, with Heaton, Mings and Targett having seen decent Premier League experience, whether you rate them or not in the case of the latter two - and Mings, El Ghazi and Hause having been with the squad last season on loans. I've also personally heard decent things about Konsa and Douglas Luiz - and I think the biggest unknowns in terms of whether they can apply their ability to the Prem will be Wesley and Nakamba from Belgium and Trezeguet from Turkey.

At the end of the day though, the oldest signing Villa have made is 28 - for the most part, they're also signing players with a decent re-sale value - and I think that their signings are a bit more focused and astute than Fulham's were - though of course that's with the power of hindsight. I think there's definite similarities in the approach. Maybe the fee for Mings was higher than it should - and there's gonna be a lot of focus on Wesley for him 22mill pricetag, but at the moment I don't think, though obviously the season might prove me wrong, that Villa have bought badly.

I really feel Villa could go either way. I think it'll take some doing to replicate Fulham's utter shambles of a season. 

My gut instinct says if they gel and let Heaton guide the players, they'll do alright. If I were Palace and Burnley I'd be really looking over my shoulder. 

Something tells me an "established" EPL team is going down this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think Villa have done some good business, yes they've thrown a lot of money about but I think it will keep them safely in the division. 12th/13th.

They're hanging their hats on this Wesley bloke being any good to score their goals. 

They've bought alright elsewhere though.