Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

27 minutes ago, Sampson said:

What are peoples thoughts on hin so far?

Got to say, I've been generally disappointed in him since he came back from West Brom. He's only really had 3 or 4 genuinely good games since he came back in January, but the vast majority of games, he's been pretty forgettable and I do wonder whether if Demarai Gray had put ik exactly the same performances since January then he'd be getting slaughtered.

He's just not really affecting games and he doesn't really offer any protection for his full-back either.

Not to say that he won't come good as he's only young, but I really don't think he should be anywhere near the starting XI of a side chasing the top 6 yet.

Agree.. 

Not had the impact I expected. 

But Chilwell doesn't help him look good either!! 

I think he is playing better then Gray because while alot of the game he can be quiet 7 times out of 10 when he gets the ball he has an impact, whether that be putting in a decent cross or making a good run into the box.

I think his main issue that he is realising is that he doesn't have as much time to get shots or crosses away before he is closed down. In the championship you run past 1 player and you in. Take his chance in the Newcastle game before the end of the first half. In the championship he would have been able to run into the box and get a better shot off as championship defenders are slower to react to passes such as the one he received and are slower to cover the ground. In the prem though there are always players covering and are able to react a split second quicker meaning he isn't able to set himself as well and is having to take shots early. In an ideal world we would be able to use him like Choudhury, have him on the bench to come on and learn after a more experienced player has ran themselves into the ground meaning he is against players with less energy in their legs compared to himself. Buying a winger in January will be crucial to make sure we get a top 6 spot and we will need to look at letting either a backup winger go, or Iheanacho and move Perez to backup striker as we can't buy a new winger and keep everyone happy with gametime.

He's one OK but could have bagged a few more goals. Missed chances is probably his biggest flaw. Unlike Gray he's creating them at the very least.

He wasn't great today but a big ask to shine in such a tough match. Not perfect but he's hardly close to Musa levels yet.

• Haha 1

I think he's done alright...

Important not to put too much pressure on him and set him up for relative failure (?) like Gray?

He's creative and links well with attacks. We have better players in the squad so perhaps doesn't get focused on too much when he does something well - players like Maddison, Vardy, Praet recently, Pereira getting the praise as they so should.

I think if he continues to play and create an impact as he has done (could do it more), he'll be an asset.

Importantly, it's clear he has an eye for a pass and is capable of picking those passes out as well. His shooting still hasn't caught up to Premier League level, but there are signs that it will come with time (that excellent finish against Sheffield United for instance). I truly think he is suffering from being out on the left. He often goes long periods without receiving the ball, and has to move more centrally to get the ball and do something with it (see the first ten minutes or so against Spurs for an example of that).

In the Championship, he played many of his best games centrally. Whilst the 10 position is dying out in certain ways, especially in a 4-2-3-1, I think if he can adapt his game to that of a second striker/AM/false 9 in a 4-3-1-2 or as an 8 in a 4-3-3, we will start to see some better performances from him.

I think a clear distinction between Gray and Barnes, is that whilst Barnes often goes missing, he very rarely makes poor decisions on the ball, or fails to shoot or pass convincingly, nearly as much as Gray does. And, despite a rather slow start to life in the Premier League, he has got 2 goals and 4 assists in roughly 20 appearances, which is a much more convincing ratio of returns than Gray has put up for the club. On top of that, from memory his 2 goals won us 4 points.

13 hours ago, Sampson said:

What are peoples thoughts on hin so far?

Got to say, I've been generally disappointed in him since he came back from West Brom. He's only really had 3 or 4 genuinely good games since he came back in January, but the vast majority of games, he's been pretty forgettable and I do wonder whether if Demarai Gray had put ik exactly the same performances since January then he'd be getting slaughtered.

He's just not really affecting games and he doesn't really offer any protection for his full-back either.

Not to say that he won't come good as he's only young, but I really don't think he should be anywhere near the starting XI of a side chasing the top 6 yet.

So to answer your question, I think he'll be just fine, and not been helped by playing out on the wing. And I think if people had seen Demarai Gray put in the exact same performances they would have praised his increased shooting accuracy and end product (which is saying something, because although there is clearly potential for improvement it's not exactly as if Barnes' shooting accuracy has been very good).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, weller54 said:

Agree.. 

Not had the impact I expected. 

But Chilwell doesn't help him look good either!! 

I don't like the Barnes Chilwell combination either! I wondered if BR moved Barnes to the right yesterday because he felt the same?

I don't like the Maddison Chilwell combination either though.

Chilwell seems a much better and more confident player when he has Albrighton in front of him.

Barnes has been pretty ineffectual so far this season. The odd explosive run, but nothing to put him in front of Albrighton.

Like Gray, he's more of an impact sub for me. Until he develops some more guile to his game, he's not in my starting line up.

He drifts in and out of games but he's ticking along decently. I'd like to see some consistency and improvements as the season goes on, he's our most dangerous winger which might not be saying much but he still is and is a game changer. 

• Like 1

I think he'll be a great player but he plays better in the free role rather than on the wing. He needs to get a lot more selfish and loud. At the moment I'd use him as the impact sub we need as he's a lot more effective in that role than starting. This season that would still be a progression for him.

when he's given the ball things happen. absolutely ridiculous to ask this question based on yesterday, when him, vardy and maddison did not touch the ball once for the duration of his time on the pitch. 

he is however another person who quite possibly doesn't fit into any of the formations we seem to be favouring. i'm not really sure who fits into what system tbf. we have got a sensational midfield/attack on paper but trying to piece them together and watching them is a very different story most the time. 

• Like 1

More of an impact player at the moment. Clearly a PL player already, fast, strong, plays with intent. Just seems to drift in and out of games, which I guess is typical of a player at that age and in that position. Always love to see him join a game with 30 or so to play and think he's our most dangerous winger already. 

He's been alright, nothing more nothing less, but I do feel like he doesn't really fit in our best system that well. Saying that I still think he makes better movements than Maddison does when he's on the left, which stretches the play and allows those in the middle to flourish.

12 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's been alright, nothing more nothing less, but I do feel like he doesn't really fit in our best system that well. Saying that I still think he makes better movements than Maddison does when he's on the left, which stretches the play and allows those in the middle to flourish.

Play him on the right in a 4-1-4-1 and let him attack Albrighton's crosses. Barnes movement from the right could be devastating

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He drifts in and out of games but he's ticking along decently. I'd like to see some consistency and improvements as the season goes on, he's our most dangerous winger which might not be saying much but he still is and is a game changer

I love him but think that @Babylon is bang on the money at the moment. His decision making and positioning must improve. 

He'll come good though. Hopefully.

Think his ceiling is limited somewhat by his relative lack of technique for a top level player (first touch and protection of the ball isn't the best). I like the fact he is direct, quick enough and has shown (albeit elsewhere) that he knows where the net is. 

Still expect him to improve to the extent where he is deemed a good Premier league player, but our wide options are our weak link, and not sure Barnes has come in and made that place his own, yet. 

1 minute ago, martyn said:

Think his ceiling is limited somewhat by his relative lack of technique for a top level player (first touch and protection of the ball isn't the best). I like the fact he is direct, quick enough and has shown (albeit elsewhere) that he knows where the net is. 

Still expect him to improve to the extent where he is deemed a good Premier league player, but our wide options are our weak link, and not sure Barnes has come in and made that place his own, yet. 

Both of them can be improved, the PL is really fast and he's still not used to it. 

1 hour ago, That_Dude said:

I love him but think that @Babylon is bang on the money at the moment. His decision making and positioning must improve. 

He'll come good though. Hopefully.

Yeah, thankfully our wide options are that mediocre in comparison to other parts of our team that Barnes will get chance after chance to improve, as I've said he's better than Gray, more of a goal threat than Albrighton and Perez is still massively finding his feet and role in this team. Barnes is an impact player and I'm waiting for the complete performance from him. He'll get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Nailed it with this post. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst he tends to not impose himself and have imperious performances from the wing, he still has a decent end product - 4 goal contributions in 9 games (only starting 5 as well) is very good and if he continues this rate of return it will see him on roughly 15 G+A come the end of the season which is very decent, especially considering he's more of a central player than a wide player.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

It will be interesting to see what his upper limit is. Is he a 5 goals and 5 assists a season player, or can he even get up to 10 of each to truly be top class? Perhaps he's somewhere in between?

That is very true, he's an intriguing player. I think he could get 10 G and 10 A in a full season if he started every game on the wing in Rodgers' system, but I also personally don't think he'll ever fully adapt to the wing - he'll never look "good" playing there. If we ever figure out how to play 4-3-1-2, though, I think he'll have a much better time either as the 10 or a second striker.

• Like 1