Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I think he'll contribute a fair bit to the team.

Yeah I hope so. I'm rarely negative on a new signing, but having watched him a fair bit with my mate being a toon fan. I've never really rated him, so on paper for me it's a bit of a let down. We'll see though I suppose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

Agreed. We're stacked in DM, because Puel favoured a double pivot 4-2-3-1. That formation doesn't require any creative CMs, only a no.10 CAM. Now Rodgers wants to play 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3, we need more playmaker/creative type CMs. I think Perez would be a good signing, as we could do with some improvement out wide and better backup to Vardy. He may even be able to play CM, but I don't think that's where he's best.

I still think we'll play 4-1-4-1 but I note that Perez has good tackling and interception stats and has a high work rate so maybe with his versatility he could be first reserve for Tielemans or Maddison as well as playing higher up with or instead of Vardy and also play wide.

I can't say I'm 100% sold on this transfer but Perez scored 12 goals last season and important that we get another 10+ goalscorers in this side if we are to progress rather than rely on Vardy to get 40% of all our goals. His age, experience in this league, work ethic and versatility make it look like it could be a cracking signing. If he has all this and some genuine ability he could thrive in a side with one of the best full back pairings in the world with Maddison, Tielemans and Vardy in the side. 

• Like 1

Just now, baldeagle said:

Wasn't he  free because he was out of contract at Villa 

Yes, he was. I don't think Villa rated him very highly, and neither did we for his first season here. I think it took a long time to get him match fit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Wasn't he  free because he was out of contract at Villa 

Yes he was free but just mentioning the last player we took from another Premier League team that was highly lauded. 

If everyone else is a steal, Albrighton was daylight robbery considering the last 4 years. 

• Like 1

Guest SO1
12 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Wonder if this was a little parting shot from Benitez, tell another manager about a release clause that wasn’t known.

Liverpool connection when picking a manager.

Good shout. I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching their post match glass of vino and chat. Sure they both have many stories to tell.

Just now, SO1 said:

Good shout. I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching their post match glass of vino and chat. Sure they both have many stories to tell.

Seems to be a coincidence that it coincides with Rafa leaving and there was no links or leaks of any interest until a deal was potentially signed 

7 minutes ago, cronemeister said:

Alright lads?  Newcastle fan here....just thought I'd do a bit of trolling to get a bit of a feel for your mood on Perez :-D.  I'm a die-hard toon fan and have been all my life and I can honestly say that I would crawl on my hands and knees with Perez on my back to deliver him to your door for £30m....that is just proper mental!  I would've been a bit gutted at him going for £15m or less if I'm honest as it would take at least that to replace him with someone equal or better in my opinion which historically (of late at least) we haven't been particularly good at.

What I will tell you though is you're getting a player who gives 110% every game, doesn't kick up a fuss about anything and just gets on with the job, he is the ultimate professional in my opinion. He's no world beater and he certainly ain't a £30m player, I would say £15m-£20m bracket quite safely.  He's quite skillful, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's technically brilliant and he is nowhere near as good as Mahrez was for your lot.  Up until the 2nd half of last season for us he was very inconsistent, his finishing was very poor and he was in and out of the starting 11 quite a lot.  He can be quite a frustrating player at times, but as I said the 2nd half of last season he was probably one of our best players.  It's no coincidence that Almiron's arrival helped him out massively and along with Rondon the 3 of them gelled quite nicely.  You're basically paying for him based on his 2nd half of the season showing last season.  This time last season I would have been happy with half of what you're paying now...the vast majority of us lot (at least on the footy board I frequent) are understandably ecstatic with £30m.....whether we'll get that pumped into the transfer kitty is another matter for a later date.  You lot seem to have a good grip on our owners antics and I won't ramble on about it on this thread as I just popped in to give you some thoughts from up north on the deal.

It is going to be toxic at our place next season if this supposed takeover doesn't happen.  There's no way Ashley will be able to set foot in the City ever again let alone the ground, it's sad cos it's the players that are gonna suffer which should never be the case but to say that we are way past being done with Ashley and his entourage now is the understatement of the century !!  Hopefully he will be gone and we can all move on but we have let such a massive opportunity pass us by in letting Rafa walk away.  I don't even think another relegation would get rid of the fat controller, he'll just sell some prized assets again to build a squad to get us back up at the first time of asking like he has done on the previous 2 occassions.  The only comfort we have at the minute is in the fact that our nearest and dearest rivals down the road (Sunderland) are bouncing around 2 leagues below us in the 3rd tier of English football.....maybe the old derby rivalries can be resumed the season after next with them, who knows?

Best of luck for the season tho lads, your lot will do ok I reckon and be safely in the top 10, nee idea how we are gonna fare, i'm seriously worried at this present moment in time but I shall (as ever) reserve judgment until the fat man sings!

I think the £30m fee being banded around is good PR for Mike Ashley.

The most trusted in the know for all things Leicester has implied the initial fee is £16m (Assuming Tielemans is £40m).

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cronemeister said:

...the vast majority of us lot (at least on the footy board I frequent) are understandably ecstatic with £30m

Unfortunately it looks likely to be £16m as John Percy pretty much knows his onions when it comes to us. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cronemeister said:

Alright lads?  Newcastle fan here....just thought I'd do a bit of trolling to get a bit of a feel for your mood on Perez :-D.  I'm a die-hard toon fan and have been all my life and I can honestly say that I would crawl on my hands and knees with Perez on my back to deliver him to your door for £30m....that is just proper mental!  I would've been a bit gutted at him going for £15m or less if I'm honest as it would take at least that to replace him with someone equal or better in my opinion which historically (of late at least) we haven't been particularly good at.

What I will tell you though is you're getting a player who gives 110% every game, doesn't kick up a fuss about anything and just gets on with the job, he is the ultimate professional in my opinion. He's no world beater and he certainly ain't a £30m player, I would say £15m-£20m bracket quite safely.  He's quite skillful, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's technically brilliant and he is nowhere near as good as Mahrez was for your lot.  Up until the 2nd half of last season for us he was very inconsistent, his finishing was very poor and he was in and out of the starting 11 quite a lot.  He can be quite a frustrating player at times, but as I said the 2nd half of last season he was probably one of our best players.  It's no coincidence that Almiron's arrival helped him out massively and along with Rondon the 3 of them gelled quite nicely.  You're basically paying for him based on his 2nd half of the season showing last season.  This time last season I would have been happy with half of what you're paying now...the vast majority of us lot (at least on the footy board I frequent) are understandably ecstatic with £30m.....whether we'll get that pumped into the transfer kitty is another matter for a later date.  You lot seem to have a good grip on our owners antics and I won't ramble on about it on this thread as I just popped in to give you some thoughts from up north on the deal.

It is going to be toxic at our place next season if this supposed takeover doesn't happen.  There's no way Ashley will be able to set foot in the City ever again let alone the ground, it's sad cos it's the players that are gonna suffer which should never be the case but to say that we are way past being done with Ashley and his entourage now is the understatement of the century !!  Hopefully he will be gone and we can all move on but we have let such a massive opportunity pass us by in letting Rafa walk away.  I don't even think another relegation would get rid of the fat controller, he'll just sell some prized assets again to build a squad to get us back up at the first time of asking like he has done on the previous 2 occassions.  The only comfort we have at the minute is in the fact that our nearest and dearest rivals down the road (Sunderland) are bouncing around 2 leagues below us in the 3rd tier of English football.....maybe the old derby rivalries can be resumed the season after next with them, who knows?

Best of luck for the season tho lads, your lot will do ok I reckon and be safely in the top 10, nee idea how we are gonna fare, i'm seriously worried at this present moment in time but I shall (as ever) reserve judgment until the fat man sings!

Probably best to troll about the £30m once we pay £30m.  :)

Edited by RumbleFox

13 minutes ago, cronemeister said:

Is Allardyce lined up as your next manager ?

Edited by Mike Oxlong

@cronemeister Cheers for that, seems to backup my thoughts on the transfer. Feels like at best he will be a squad player and not improve our starting line up. Which for 25-30 million seems a bit of a waste. I think he'll be seen as a similar player to Albrighton after 6 months.

Having a read of your boards, not sure which the main one is but I was on toontastic. Looks like you lot are worried that Ashley will look to pocket the money and not properly replace Perez. Must be an absolutely awful time to be a fan of your club. Makes you really appreciate what we have here.

edit: If it's the 16m I'm seeing then it doesn't quite hurt as much. Although I still feel there's better options out there.

Edited by filbertway

what position did most of his goals come from, it’s listed on who scored as RM but where did he usually end up?

I wouldn't worry about us mate. We'll be alright whether Perez does well or not. Whereas you'll still have Mike Ashley and no Rafa to bail you out. Also it's been said the initial fee is £16m so not the £30m you were delighted with 

Good luck for the season, got a felling you're gonna need it

Hopefully that will get Gray, in particular, to acknowledge that he really has to step up now or his future will be even under more uncertain at the club (he's been here for a good while now and feel he's yet to see the best of himself, still).

25 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Wonder if this was a little parting shot from Benitez, tell another manager about a release clause that wasn’t known.

Liverpool connection when picking a manager.

I was thinking exactly that last night. I guess we'll never know the real truth but it certainly seems likely.

Either way it's a good piece of business and Rudkin and his team deserve credit.