Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

YOURI TIELEMANS SIGNS!

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

When Jardim was reappointed as Monaco coach, one of the conditions was that he would be given full reign over the playing squad and able to move on players as he saw fit. He never fancied Tielemans because of the style of football he wanted Monaco to play, so he was offered around Europe in January as a result. Because of his wages, that essentially meant the Premier League, but he was offered to Spurs, Arsenal and us at a minimum. Word of this got out to Puel because of his links at Monaco and so it all led from there. 

You sometimes feel with moves like this if it was destined to happen? If you look back at the thread when his name was first linked, pretty much everyone was laughing the move off as being completely unrealistic. It's absolute mental that not only did he come here, but he actually lived up to (and exceeded) his reputation and then further to that ended up signing for us! You have to wonder what on earth the other clubs are smoking to be honest!

At the same time, perhaps the fact that so many teams and the press largely ignore us could be a huge benefit. Perhaps with Tielemans it's like Kante all over again, where because no one other than Leicester fans watch many games they don't know how he's been performing. With Kante, I think it was about after 10 games where everyone on FT had recognised that not only was he good, but that he might actually be world class. Perhaps Tielemans didn't quite hit those levels, but in some of his games he was pulling all of the strings, and like a truly good midfielder made players around him improve their game, with Ndidi, Maddison and Barnes all looking much better in the same team.

Excellent post. Sums up my feelings perfectly.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I wonder if anyone has given poor old Claude Puel the huge credit he deserves for first bringing him here? 

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Roughly translated:

I'm at home and I've just had 4 cans of strongbow dark fruit and I'm a bit of a lightweight. I can't spell Youri as it's just too difficult but I'm happy we've signed him. **** you everyone that waited for an official announcement before you started to have a tug

Nope still in Ibiza ?

apols if already posted...

https://www.football365.com/news/turning-your-nose-up-at-tielemans-youri-fing-joking

'In a world where transfer fees have become both irrelevant and ridiculous, it seems unfathomable that a 22-year-old with extensive World Cup, Champions League and Europa League experience, a former teenage captain who has taken like a particularly talented duck to typically choppy Premier League waters, could have but one suitor.'

'Both [Spurs/Man U] have other targets: Harry Maguire, Wilfried Zaha and Sean Longstaff among them. Both also have restrictions, either self-imposed like United’s young and British transfer throwback or as enforced as Arsenal’s meagre budget. Yet when both are being linked with the very same underwhelming midfielders in yet another underwhelming week, it feels like the biggest wasted opportunity of the summer so far.'

'Tielemans could yet flounder as he did at Monaco, his form in the first half of this year the exception to a rule of struggles outside Anderlecht. But if he thrives, expect Ornstein and Terreur to be bombarded with demands for updates as he is pursued for at least twice as much as Leicester signed him.'

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

apols if already posted...

https://www.football365.com/news/turning-your-nose-up-at-tielemans-youri-fing-joking

'In a world where transfer fees have become both irrelevant and ridiculous, it seems unfathomable that a 22-year-old with extensive World Cup, Champions League and Europa League experience, a former teenage captain who has taken like a particularly talented duck to typically choppy Premier League waters, could have but one suitor.'

'Tielemans could yet flounder as he did at Monaco, his form in the first half of this year the exception to a rule of struggles outside Anderlecht. But if he thrives, expect Ornstein and Terreur to be bombarded with demands for updates as he is pursued for at least twice as much as Leicester signed him.'

He didn't even particularly struggle for Monaco last season, he got 5 goals and 2 assists in 19 starts in the league before coming to us. Monaco collectively were horse muck last season, Tielemans was one of a very few who had end product still. His first season at Monaco though by all accounts was very poor by expectation and his standards but I genuinely think that is what gave us this rare opportunity. Jardim is a complete norris.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He didn't even particularly struggle for Monaco last season, he got 5 goals and 2 assists in 19 starts in the league before coming to us. Monaco collectively were horse muck last season, Tielemans was one of a very few who had end product still. His first season at Monaco though by all accounts was very poor by expectation and his standards but I genuinely think that is what gave us this rare opportunity. Jardim is a complete norris.

Sure. But the article's main point is right. It's mental we've got him. But without a fight? That's proper nutso.

Just now, turtmcfly said:

Sure. But the article's main point is right. It's mental we've got him. But without a fight? That's proper nutso.

True, I almost n=dismissed that part due to what was driving it. This is why the elite teams will seldom get value for money because they try to limit the risk of failure on new signings even though the risk is never limited.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

From Sky Sports 

TIELEMANS GAVE UP UNITED CHANCE

Youri Tielemans gave up the chance of a possible move toManchester United, and told his agent he wanted to sign for Leicester City now, rather than delaying in case Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made a bid for him, Sky Sports News has learned.

Tieleman's agent was keen to wait, in case bigger clubs came in with an offer for the Belgian international. In particular, he wanted to see what happens with Paul Pogba at Old Trafford before committing Tielemans' future - a number of reports have suggested United were looking at the 22-year-old as a possible replacement, should Pogba leave for Juventus or Real Madrid.

This is 10000% pure click bait speculation made up to milk a few more clicks from United fans because nothing is happening. 

No sources, no quotes, just literally pure guess work with a United favouring twist. 

• Like 3

yeah the way skysports is just catering to the top 6 is just ludicrous, they have always gave them favourable coverage but this transfer window's pandering to those set of fans is as extreme as I ever seen it, the day we signed tielemans they were talking about how pogba would be a loss to man utd, and it was a transfer talk session not a talk about existing players session.

Also the constant daily rumours of maguire to man utd based on pretty much nothing again just to pander to their fans and show complete disrepect to clubs like ours.

• Like 1

An Arsenal fan has been moaning on Twitter that we've made great signings and spent a significant amount of money when they haven't and it's not right because we're a small rubbish club and they're Arsenal. He's received a sh$t load of abuse, people disagreeing and praising us....from his fellow Arsenal fans :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

From Sky Sports 

TIELEMANS GAVE UP UNITED CHANCE

Youri Tielemans gave up the chance of a possible move toManchester United, and told his agent he wanted to sign for Leicester City now, rather than delaying in case Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made a bid for him, Sky Sports News has learned.

Tieleman's agent was keen to wait, in case bigger clubs came in with an offer for the Belgian international. In particular, he wanted to see what happens with Paul Pogba at Old Trafford before committing Tielemans' future - a number of reports have suggested United were looking at the 22-year-old as a possible replacement, should Pogba leave for Juventus or Real Madrid.

Load of rubbish IMO. Sour grapes from elitist sports journos who can't believe little Leicester signed a brilliant player. Of course it had to be because United didn't want him.

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 1