Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Matty James could easily be a squad player for us or a starter for a premier league club. But, he never will be because his body will just not hold up to the needs of top level football. 

Somewhere where they can afford to nurse him through games, rest when he needs it, miss training, play him for 45 minutes here and there, because they know he'll make a difference for them (like he does Barnsley) is what he needs. We can't really afford a squad space to that. 

The Lad just needs to play regular football now and the Barnsley fans seem to love him, so its a match made in Heaven. I hope he stays there and remains fit for all concerned.

16 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I don’t recall him as being particularly pre-disposed to injury until that horrendous moment when he got his studs caught turning under no pressure and did his cruciate. Your whole career can turn on one random moment 

He was always a bit fragile, missed games in the championship to different injuries.  Then he had the injury at United as well where he did the other knee. 

So refreshing to see James receiving plaudits for his footballing ability rather the only time we see him being mentioned is Matty James (Knee) on the pre-match report. He deserves a break and I'm pleased to see him putting down some good performances and getting the new fan base behind him. 

James is an excellent footballer for Championship level and he's absolutely doing the right thing going back to a club he knows from a previous successful loan. If he does well and keeps fit, there's potentially some exciting opportunities for him to move on to a new home, or work his way back into our squad as a back-up/rotation option (this is potential less likely). Hopefully he smashes it.

29 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I don’t recall him as being particularly pre-disposed to injury until that horrendous moment when he got his studs caught turning under no pressure and did his cruciate. Your whole career can turn on one random moment 

Not quite the same, but I always think back to THAT Chelsea League Cup game when Levi Porter had the game of his life, did his cruciate and was never seen again, like you say one moment! 

He went from potentially starting the next league game, to never kicking a ball (at a high professional level) again.

51 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Matty James could easily be a squad player for us or a starter for a premier league club. But, he never will be because his body will just not hold up to the needs of top level football. 

Somewhere where they can afford to nurse him through games, rest when he needs it, miss training, play him for 45 minutes here and there, because they know he'll make a difference for them (like he does Barnsley) is what he needs. We can't really afford a squad space to that. 

Very much how Lesley king was managed in his final couple of years at Tottenham!

The season we won the championship, I said then he is exactly the type of midfielder England need, I just wish he could stay fit and he would have had England caps by now.

On 28/10/2020 at 07:13, Sunbury Fox said:

No, that ship has sailed. Playing well against a mediocre Championship team with 10 men is completely different to cutting it in the PL. I like Matty James a lot and he is a very decent player but he's nowhere near the level of our other regular first team midfielders. I really hope that he does well in this loan period so that Barnsley or someone else in the Championship take a punt on him. After all his injuries, I think that is probably the right level for him now and would give him the chance to finally play some football.

Also I am wondering how good he actually is it’s been that long since he had a run of games it’s hard to remember. He may have been one of the better performers all those years ago but to be fair he joined us after we had not long gotten out of Division 1 and we had been watching some god damn awful footballers play for us so he would have seemed like a shining light back then . 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

Also I am wondering how good he actually is it’s been that long since he had a run of games  he hard to remember. He may have been one of the better performers all those years ago but to be fair he joined us after we had not long gotten out of Division 1 and we had been watching some god damn awful footballers play for us so he would have seemed like a shining light back then . 

...he was a quality player, had his first season in the Premiership and it was interesting that Pearson elected to sideline Drinkwater and keep James to play alongside Cambiasso in the engine room!!!

We sold Drinkwater for £30m plus.

25 minutes ago, Sacrebleuits442 said:

...he was a quality player, had his first season in the Premiership and it was interesting that Pearson elected to sideline Drinkwater and keep James to play alongside Cambiasso in the engine room!!!

Selling Drinkwater for £30m was more luck than him being a great  player and price doesn’t guarantee a quality player see Slimani . 

Edited by baldeagle

His time with us, at the level we are and want to be, has passed, sadly.

He's got loads to offer to other teams and I hope he gets another five good years of a career to make up for the pain and frustration he's suffered.

• Like 1

Very useful squad player still. When he's match fit I think he can help us out towards the tail end of this season, especially if we are successful in several competitions. 

He has always been quality, the way he reads the game is top class. You don't lose that...

Edited by Foxhateram

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

His time with us, at the level we are and want to be, has passed, sadly.

He's got loads to offer to other teams and I hope he gets another five good years of a career to make up for the pain and frustration he's suffered.

if we sell him he’s going to score an important winner against us. NAILED ON.

probably FA cup final as a championship team shocks the world by getting to the final and winning it thanks to a Matty James screamer from outside the box. oh and he’ll probably crunch tackle Vardy 5 minutes before and injure him and force him into retirement.

Off to the depression thread.

Edited by MPH

We also get a lot more out of Mowatt when James is in the side.
Thats what quality players do....they bring out the best in others. And boy is he quality...anyone see that first time pass where he was in his own half and put us away on the right....just wow.

From that quote you can tell he's trained in our style of play! 

• 2 months later...

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2021/january/matty-james-departs/

Following the conclusion of a three month loan spell, Matty James has returned to parent club, Leicester City.

Throughout his second spell at Oakwell, Matty was a consummate professional. His commitment and ability was appreciated by all at the Club.

Chief Executive Officer, Dane Murphy said: “I cannot overstate the gratitude I have for all that Matty has done for the club in the first half of the season. His ability, character, and leadership have impacted the squad in a way that cannot be quantified. He will be missed at every level and I am happy that he has been able to prove he is still an elite player.

“This Club has an excellent reputation of developing young talent and now some have an opportunity to prove themselves as we continue to push up the Sky Bet Championship table.

“Once again, I’d like to place on record my sincerest thanks to Matty and wish him all the best in the future.”

• Like 3

On 28/10/2020 at 14:39, Sacrebleuits442 said:

He was always twice the player Drinkwater was. He was the one real premiership player we had in our squad in the Championship.

Such a pity he had a bad injury.

I think Matty coming back free of injury is the reason we're going to allow Hamza to leave. Matty will be a squad player filling in from time to time.

I suspect Brendan will use that time to decide to keep him or let him go in the Summer.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He was always twice the player Drinkwater was. He was the one real premiership player we had in our squad in the Championship.

Such a pity he had a bad injury.

I think Matty coming back free of injury is the reason we're going to allow Hamza to leave. Matty will be a squad player filling in from time to time.

I suspect Brendan will use that time to decide to keep him or let him go in the Summer.

He’s struggling to last more than 65-70mins for Barnsley. I really can’t see him being part of our plans at all.