Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Twice the player? GET OUT, GO ON

I liked them both, I think it was marginal between them that season. Matty was more steady in his performances, Drinkwater probably stood out slightly more for the voting in Team of the season as he was more likely to get goals and make the assists that would catch the eye. Fond memories though of them as CM pairing that season and massive shame that injuries prevented MJ from kicking on when we reached the promised land. I think its ok to prefer one over the other but to say James was twice the player Drinkwater was is a bit ridiculous.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2021/january/matty-james-departs/

Following the conclusion of a three month loan spell, Matty James has returned to parent club, Leicester City.

Throughout his second spell at Oakwell, Matty was a consummate professional. His commitment and ability was appreciated by all at the Club.

Chief Executive Officer, Dane Murphy said: “I cannot overstate the gratitude I have for all that Matty has done for the club in the first half of the season. His ability, character, and leadership have impacted the squad in a way that cannot be quantified. He will be missed at every level and I am happy that he has been able to prove he is still an elite player.

“This Club has an excellent reputation of developing young talent and now some have an opportunity to prove themselves as we continue to push up the Sky Bet Championship table.

“Once again, I’d like to place on record my sincerest thanks to Matty and wish him all the best in the future.”

I'm glad it's gone well for him, but surely it's better for everyone if he stayed for the rest of the season? 

I think the way we played with that spring like counter really suited DD's game, especially releasing Vardy time after time - they seemed telepathic at times. 

Playing  the Rodgers way would be more suited to MJ's game I'd imagine. 

Just my opinion but If Hamza is sold and Matty James returns as 5th choice CM then that sits good with me.

Hamza is just an energetic centre mid that is neither great at attacking or defending he only looks like a DM because he loves a slide tackle but don’t think he is one as he Doesn’t have the top level brain for me as we have seen when he has come on late in games and lost his man so easy and cost us a few points.

Edited by les-tah

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Just my opinion but If Hamza is sold and Matty James returns as 5th choice CM then that sits good with me.

Hamza is just an energetic centre mid that is neither great at attacking or defending he only looks like a DM because he loves a slide tackle but don’t think he is one as he Doesn’t have the top level brain for me as we have seen when he has come on late in games and lost his man so easy and cost us a few points.

I certainly won’t miss the heart attacks I nearly get when Hamza has the ball on the edge of our box or when I see him about to lunge in for a tackle. 

Edited by OrielCaziado
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

Throw him straight in against Stoke at the weekend alongside Mendy. 

Do you want us to lose? James wouldn't get into Stoke's team,  and he shouldn't be anywhere near ours, even in Cup games. He's worse than Hamza. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I think we're only a year and/or a couple more doubling-downs before there are people on here arguing that without the injuries James would have been England captain and keeping Kroos or Modric out of the Real Madrid team for the last 5 years.

• Haha 1

Reading the Barnsley (a side that above us in the footballing pyramid not so long ago) forum it seems the fans are gutted to see him go and he vastly improved them, but the club doest have the ambition (or just the funds) to carry on paying his 18k a week. 

Brings into focus how lucky we are to have the owners we do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I'm glad it's gone well for him, but surely it's better for everyone if he stayed for the rest of the season? 

This would've seemed the logical option. Unless there are other offers incoming? Or Barnsley are just being polite in that statement and don't want to keep him? He's surely not going to feature in our PL squad, is he? I know Brendan has spoken highly of him but is he up to the rigour of the PL now physically.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He was always twice the player Drinkwater was. He was the one real premiership player we had in our squad in the Championship.

Such a pity he had a bad injury.

I liked Matty, I always thought he was absolutely pivotal to how we played in the championship and I've stood up for him a lot on here.... But even I can't have that lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, les-tah said:

If he could stay fit, but if that was going to happen I think we'd have seen it before now. The next injury is just around the corner. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

I liked them both, I think it was marginal between them that season. Matty was more steady in his performances, Drinkwater probably stood out slightly more for the voting in Team of the season as he was more likely to get goals and make the assists that would catch the eye. Fond memories though of them as CM pairing that season and massive shame that injuries prevented MJ from kicking on when we reached the promised land. I think its ok to prefer one over the other but to say James was twice the player Drinkwater was is a bit ridiculous.

This is about spot on to be fair, good post. They are both underrated by our fans in hindsight and were very important influential players for us in the middle of last decade.

• Thanks 1

I don't think we can rely on Matty James to stay injury free for the rest of the season. Say we get to mid Feb, we've loaned Hamza out and replaced him with James, then James picks up a knock (as he nearly always does), we're a man down in a time period when we need all the bodies we can get. I think he'll be loaned out again before moving on a free in the summer. Knowing our luck we'll probably give him a contract extension lol

EDIT: Just saw the above post, good move for all parties involved.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

52 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

Throw him straight in against Stoke at the weekend alongside Mendy. 

...that would be interesting!!!

Would be good to watch him control the middle of the park using his experience. 

I feel we really miss having someone who can take control of the game, by slowing the tempo or pulling and cajoling players around him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eblair said:

gone to cov, remarkable where we are compared to them considering where we were in 2008 when they stayed up 

Portsmouth won the FA Cup in 2008. Look at them now.