Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshie is God

Soyuncu

1 minute ago, ithuriel said:

From what I have seen of him, I just have no confidence in him, really cant see us breaking the top six with a defence left short if we buy no one else and Maguire goes.

If he can cut out the daily brain farts he’s good enough IMO. But that’s the million dollar question.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Bit off topic but PLEASE can we get behind this lad? Come over to a foreign country (his second foreign move) and learning a third language. He’s young, he’s raw, he’s going to make some mistakes. You know who was also young, raw and made mistakes? England international Ben Chilwell. The world’s most expensive defender in waiting Harry Maguire. James Maddison. Wilfred Ndidi. Etc, etc.

He may or may not turn out to be a good player but I’m sure getting behind him would be a good way to start!

He may well start as a first choice CB so let’s all cheer him on if he does!

No knives out till Christmas at the earliest!

Chilwell took a good season or two to come good, it's very likely that we need to get European football next season if we're to keep this team together, finishing tenth again because we're leaking goals and many of our players will want away 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Chilwell took a good season or two to come good, it's very likely that we need to get European football next season if we're to keep this team together, finishing tenth again because we're leaking goals and many of our players will want away 

Yep that's true which is why I'm sure if he makes mistakes he will be dropped. But what I'm saying is that if literally at the first mistake he makes there is a collective groan, it's doing no one any favours.

And even if we sign a more proven CB, there is no guarantee that player will come good either. Evans was shocking in his first couple of games for us.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Bit off topic but PLEASE can we get behind this lad? Come over to a foreign country (his second foreign move) and learning a third language. He’s young, he’s raw, he’s going to make some mistakes. You know who was also young, raw and made mistakes? England international Ben Chilwell. The world’s most expensive defender in waiting Harry Maguire. James Maddison. Wilfred Ndidi. Etc, etc.

He may or may not turn out to be a good player but I’m sure getting behind him would be a good way to start!

He may well start as a first choice CB so let’s all cheer him on if he does!

No knives out till Christmas at the earliest!

I think he's got a whole bunch of potential. 

He's young and needs to be moulded. But we've had far, far worse defenders in our time. Yes so he's had 1 or 2 mistakes but he hasn't had that many games to adapt and as you said, 2nd foreign country. But usually that shows someone brave enough to face tough challenges and that'll help set him in good stead. 

Edited by LC/FC
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If he can cut out the daily brain farts he’s good enough IMO. But that’s the million dollar question.

But I don't think his brain farts are proper brain farts. They seem more over eagerness or just not experienced enough and gets had mistakes, which tbh fair it is expected of a young player. 

It's never been Titus Bramble, Sol Bamba levels of WTF.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, frany104 said:

I honestly think he’s going to be a good player for us. Everyone saying he’s a bomb scare?? He’s got the attributes to be a brilliant player. Once he plus a few games in a row for us you will see him settle down and be brilliant for us. Get behind him and give him the confidence he needs, he’s only young!

Totally agree.  Every player makes mistakes. Maguire has made a few, Morgan was being slated on here early last season and so on and on etc ad infinitum. For gods sake give the lad a chance.  If he makes an occasional ricket of it then so be it. It will no different to anyone else that may or may not play in central defence. (or anywhere else on the pitch for that matter)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Totally agree.  Every player makes mistakes. Maguire has made a few, Morgan was being slated on here early last season and so on and on etc ad infinitum. For gods sake give the lad a chance.  If he makes an occasional ricket of it then so be it. It will no different to anyone else that may or may not play in central defence. (or anywhere else on the pitch for that matter)

Absolutely, I remember Pereira in his first few months. Didn't think he was anywhere near a PL defender, but he was our standout player at the end of the season. Nobody knows with certainty how Soyuncu will turn out, but he needs games and time. 

53 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep that's true which is why I'm sure if he makes mistakes he will be dropped. But what I'm saying is that if literally at the first mistake he makes there is a collective groan, it's doing no one any favours.

And even if we sign a more proven CB, there is no guarantee that player will come good either. Evans was shocking in his first couple of games for us.

I'm a little worrid about this in general. This season is highly competitive regardless of the quality of our squad. It's so competitive I'm not sure how much room for error the fans and maybe the manager will give our younger and less experienced players. For all his ills Puel did persist with Chilwell through some really terrible performance, performances that included a good chance at the FA cup, and persisted with him even before Chilwell went to Simpson to ask for guidance and advice. It was that experience that has made Chilwell the player he is today: arguably England's best left back. With all this season's expetations will we give the same chances to the likes of Soyuncu?

Edited by Foxxed

1 hour ago, ithuriel said:

From what I have seen of him, I just have no confidence in him, really cant see us breaking the top six with a defence left short if we buy no one else and Maguire goes.

We've not seen enough of him to make a judgement one way or another. Ditto Benkovic.

• Like 2

Soyuncu appears to be an aggressive CB, in the style of players like Vertonghen. Although these style of defenders are always prone to committing more errors due to pressing quickly, having a more composed CB behind him in Evans will more than make up for that. The positive being that often the ball will be picked up further up the pitch for easier counter attacks. 

I havent seen many outrageous mistakes from this lad (I'm not even sure he's more error prone than Maguire?) and rate him highly, so I hope he is given an extended run in the team if Maguire goes. 

Edited by danny2997
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sdb said:

Potentially a very big day for him, and our season, tomorrow. Hope he smashes it and saves us £50m.

Rodgers watches him every day in training. After what I saw against Brighton last season he'll be fine. His ability on the ball was second to none.

People need to chill and support the club instead of jumping on every mistake they think a center half makes. Its not 2 players defending its the team...... together.

When he’s not making his odd mistake he’s looked good :ph34r:

He’s still young and hasn’t played that much for us. I want to see him in a run of games (if Maguire goes). I have confidence he’ll do a great job. 

Haven't seen enough of him but from what I have seen it looks hopeful. Looked decent in the cup against good opposition. Was in the Bundesliga team of the year before. And looks in incredibly good shape going into this season. The guys still young and has the skillset to replace Maguire. The odd blunders will be ironed out with game time. 

5 hours ago, Wizerud said:

When he’s not making his odd mistake he’s looked good :ph34r:

He’s still young and hasn’t played that much for us. I want to see him in a run of games (if Maguire goes). I have confidence he’ll do a great job. 

Let's face it, Harry is/was perfectly capable of making the odd mistake!

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed and if we buy another foreign import, expect them also to have at least a settling in period with no guarantee of success. The two young lads we've got have at least had the benefit of a full preseason with Rodgers and understand what his requirements are. Benkovic of course has had significantly more should he be able to get fully fit. Training or  friendlies can't replicate how they'd get on in the Premiership, if you don't try you won't know.  Even Dunk would have to adapt for Rodgers but is at least proven in the Premiership hence his vastly inflated fee.

There's a clambering to try and buy certaintly in the pusuit of this elusive 6th place. One minute it's a centre half, the next a winger or another forward. It's starting to sound like a budget version of Man Utd or City trying to buy success but it just isn't going to happen and in any case, that plan or route is entirley flawed and destined to fail. Our owners appear to have chosen the route they want to take and I personally trust them to make the right decisions for success, whatever that looks like, but, it won't be gained by spending money hand over fist to the future detriment of the club.

As mentioned by some, there is the worry that some of our better players will want to leave along this journey but folks, that's always going to occur,  players quite understandably want to play at the top for teams like Real Madrid etc and I don't blame them. If the likes of Ronaldo and Coutinho want to leave United or Liverpool you're not going to thwart the personal ambitions of Maguire or Maddison, it is their life and career after all, they're not Leicester fans. The trick is to keep buying young in order to have the next generation of replacements coming through together with a smattering of experience and evolve for the better each season, for a club our size I don't see a viable alternative. 

To buy another squad centre half just to merely clog up the works and burgeoning ranks of highly paid Slimani's and Silva 's is a poor tactic in the long term. Unless the club have catagorically decided that our two youngsters are never going to be up to it in then they they will need to be sold or loaned out, BUT, realistically, they haven't even had a chance? In an ideal world we'd keep Maguire but that may not be possible or, the club may just decide that such a profit is in our own best interests comensurate with their long term plans. 

This is about the manager being bold. Neither Cag or Benko will prove their value and reach their potential without being played. Yeah they'll make the odd mistake, but surely that would reduce the more they play and become match savvy. If we can't give them a go, then these pair are yet another example of shocking scouting ala Musa/Slim shady.