Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Caglar Soyuncu

As it has been said, Soyuncu does seem to be a bit of a bombscare at times and looks like he is bound to make some errors, but a good run in the first team will help him learn fast. Next to Evans is perfect for him as well. Would be much more worrying if it was Soy & Benk alone.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Jonny Evans likes him

Caglar Soyuncu has chance to fulfil Jonny Evans' prophecy after Leicester City fail to sign defender
Turkish international is likely to start against Wolves after City do not replace Harry Maguire

ByJordan Blackwell
06:00, 9 AUG 2019

After Leicester City overcame Southampton in the Carabao Cup last season, Jonny Evans said of his centre-back partner Caglar Soyuncu: “He’s the future of the club without a doubt.”

Now the Turkey international has the chance to prove Evans right.

The transfer deadline has passed and Premier League sides now have a final list of players they can choose from for fixtures in the first half of the campaign.

At City, the list includes four centre-backs: Evans, Soyuncu, Filip Benkovic and skipper Wes Morgan. That’s one fewer centre-half than they started with.

As soon as the previous season concluded, Manchester United reignited their interest in City’s prize asset Harry Maguire.

For months, City held firm on their £80 million valuation of the England international and their hardline stance paid off as Maguire became the world’s most-expensive defender.

But the saga did not conclude until the start of this week and while City started following the steps on their contingency plan, they could not see it through.

First, they made enquiries over chief targets Nathan Ake and James Tarkowski. In a market inflated by Maguire’s sale, the price-tags on the Bournemouth and Burnley defenders were too steep for City.

So they turned their attention to possible loans, just as they did two summers ago when Aleksandar Dragovic arrived late on deadline day on a season-long deal. This time, there was no such fortune.

That a high-profile player like Maguire was not replaced has left some supporters deflated. But any disappointment should be tempered by City’s forward-planning, because, in truth, they readied themselves for this scenario 12 months ago when they signed Soyuncu and Benkovic. If either had arrived on deadline day this summer, the mood would possibly be different.

City have four senior centre-backs, the same as most other clubs. They have Evans, a superb, experienced defender. They have Soyuncu, lauded for his ball-playing and powers of recovery in Germany. There are question marks over Benkovic’s fitness, but he shined for Rodgers’ Celtic when he was fit, and while Morgan is getting older, his displays at the end of last term were more than solid. Rodgers is happy with his options.

City did not need to overspend, nor loan a player just to bulk out their squad. A centre-back was only going to arrive if the club found a man that would improve the starting line-up and was deemed good value for money. No such deal was available and so City stuck with what they have.

Pre-season line-ups suggest it is Soyuncu who will be tasked with filling Maguire’s big boots when City’s season kicks off against Wolves on Sunday.

He is occasionally reckless in his positioning and rash in his tackles but he will now have an opportunity to learn, to improve and to demonstrate he is good enough to help City in a top-six push.

In that cup tie against Southampton, Soyuncu and Evans’ only competitive minutes together, City kept a clean sheet.

“As centre-backs, there is a communication there and I’ve been very impressed with him as a player,” Evans said afterwards.

“He arrived with a big reputation, they’ve spent a lot of money on him. I’d heard about him before, before he was linked to coming to England, as a young lad.

“He’s been really impressive. He’s the future of the club without a doubt.”

If Evans still holds his opinion come full-time on Sunday, the season bodes well for City.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/caglar-soyuncu-chance-fulfil-jonny-3191285

Its such sad reading, I did warn selling late in the window would lead to this issue, and it played out just as I said.  However there is one clear advantage to selling high valued players late in the window, specifically if you the owner of a football club, you can then pretend to have intended to sign a replacement and simply ran out of time during the process.

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

Its such sad reading, I did warn selling late in the window would lead to this issue, and it played out just as I said.  However there is one clear advantage to selling high valued players late in the window, specifically if you the owner of a football club, you can then pretend to have intended to sign a replacement and simply ran out of time during the process.

How is that sad reading? I read it as being positive about Soyuncu and Benkovic.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

Or maybe we just weren't going to get bullied into selling Maguire on the cheap or massively overpay for players like Ake or Tarkowski. £80 million for Maguire is crazy! He wasn't even our best CB last season.

Man U have set a precedent yet again and paying £80m for Maguire and £50m for Wan Bissaka, means they are unlikely to pick up any future (decent) players for anything close to resembling good value! We did right not to spend well over £50m on a CB and also did well not to just buy a squad filler for the sake of it, when we have a recent history of backing our talented younger players to deliver AND doing pretty damn well out of it. Most see us as having one of the most exciting, young squads in the Premier League. All thanks to Puel/Rodgers and identifying but more importantly, giving young players a fair chance.

Highly rated Soyuncu and Benkovic were bought to cover the potential late deal for Maguire being done last season and as others have said, if we had signed both in this window, we would be rather excited I think. I think both have potential to fill the loss of Maguire, especially alongside our best CB last season in Evans. 

I would have of course liked a couple more top players, but I'm also glad we are not forgetting that keeping faith in talented youngsters, can reap huge benefits e.g Chilwell

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Mate I was complimenting your esoteric posting style. Don’t be so easily offended, shows a touch of insecurity. 

As to the ‘theme’ of the thread, I am fully onboard. We should all get behind Caglar. I posted many times during the transfer window that we did not need another CB. These boys, Benkovic included, need our support, encouragement and patience. They will both come good. 

When you get to know me..I am never serious,and twist the thought of "offended" on its head,that's why the emoji..in old Nparks rhetoric..taking the piss..:teehee:

5 hours ago, davieG said:

Jonny Evans likes him

Caglar Soyuncu has chance to fulfil Jonny Evans' prophecy after Leicester City fail to sign defender
Turkish international is likely to start against Wolves after City do not replace Harry Maguire

ByJordan Blackwell
06:00, 9 AUG 2019

After Leicester City overcame Southampton in the Carabao Cup last season, Jonny Evans said of his centre-back partner Caglar Soyuncu: “He’s the future of the club without a doubt.”

Now the Turkey international has the chance to prove Evans right.

The transfer deadline has passed and Premier League sides now have a final list of players they can choose from for fixtures in the first half of the campaign.

At City, the list includes four centre-backs: Evans, Soyuncu, Filip Benkovic and skipper Wes Morgan. That’s one fewer centre-half than they started with.

As soon as the previous season concluded, Manchester United reignited their interest in City’s prize asset Harry Maguire.

For months, City held firm on their £80 million valuation of the England international and their hardline stance paid off as Maguire became the world’s most-expensive defender.

But the saga did not conclude until the start of this week and while City started following the steps on their contingency plan, they could not see it through.

First, they made enquiries over chief targets Nathan Ake and James Tarkowski. In a market inflated by Maguire’s sale, the price-tags on the Bournemouth and Burnley defenders were too steep for City.

So they turned their attention to possible loans, just as they did two summers ago when Aleksandar Dragovic arrived late on deadline day on a season-long deal. This time, there was no such fortune.

That a high-profile player like Maguire was not replaced has left some supporters deflated. But any disappointment should be tempered by City’s forward-planning, because, in truth, they readied themselves for this scenario 12 months ago when they signed Soyuncu and Benkovic. If either had arrived on deadline day this summer, the mood would possibly be different.

City have four senior centre-backs, the same as most other clubs. They have Evans, a superb, experienced defender. They have Soyuncu, lauded for his ball-playing and powers of recovery in Germany. There are question marks over Benkovic’s fitness, but he shined for Rodgers’ Celtic when he was fit, and while Morgan is getting older, his displays at the end of last term were more than solid. Rodgers is happy with his options.

City did not need to overspend, nor loan a player just to bulk out their squad. A centre-back was only going to arrive if the club found a man that would improve the starting line-up and was deemed good value for money. No such deal was available and so City stuck with what they have.

Pre-season line-ups suggest it is Soyuncu who will be tasked with filling Maguire’s big boots when City’s season kicks off against Wolves on Sunday.

He is occasionally reckless in his positioning and rash in his tackles but he will now have an opportunity to learn, to improve and to demonstrate he is good enough to help City in a top-six push.

In that cup tie against Southampton, Soyuncu and Evans’ only competitive minutes together, City kept a clean sheet.

“As centre-backs, there is a communication there and I’ve been very impressed with him as a player,” Evans said afterwards.

“He arrived with a big reputation, they’ve spent a lot of money on him. I’d heard about him before, before he was linked to coming to England, as a young lad.

“He’s been really impressive. He’s the future of the club without a doubt.”

If Evans still holds his opinion come full-time on Sunday, the season bodes well for City.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/caglar-soyuncu-chance-fulfil-jonny-3191285

Top plaudits ...PL strikers get ready for a

Good Turkish bath, & massage..

Added to some good ol' Irish cultural farming...:yesyes:

I think he's got promise, real promise. He is mobile, can pass the ball well with both feet and - let's not forget - he was a Bundesliga regular with Freiburg and has already been capped 24 times by Turkey at just 23.

Yes, he's still a work in progress at Premier League level, and needs to cut out the rash challenges (as in the first minute v Atalanta), but he's bided his time at the club and now definitely deserves his chance.

Let's all get behind the lad and boost his confidence. We can start by cheering his name loudly before kickoff on Sunday as if he were a new signing!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Very excited to see how he turns out.

He's looked promising in his brief appearances so far and showed some good signs. The Atalanta game he looked threatening at corners and dependable at the back, and even managed a couple of runs up the pitch (which Maguire was often famed for, although rarely did anything come of them..). Yes, he has a few mistakes in him but then so did Maguire, and there were times when we looked just as solid if not more so when Harry wasn't in the line up and Caglar was. He's had a year to bed in now and start to learn the language, so the club should start to see their patience pay off with him this season.

Bringing in Soyuncu and Benkovic last year was brilliant forward planning, and I wouldn't be surprised if by October time we weren't missing Harry at all.

Runs forward,mistakes galore..the life &

Timrs of a CB.

Ask..Ian.King,Cross,Sjoberg,Walsh,Elliot,Blockley,Maguire,Evans,the great..

Bobby Moore..hey and a certain

Franz Benkenbauer...

Load of codswallop,even mentioning,a young CBs mistakes amd errors...

Shows up the various unknowledgable

Posters than the player...

Just lazy,not recognised opinion of poor

Punditry...Like some twaddling journalist!!:frusty:...add :doh:

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

When you get to know me..I am never serious,and twist the thought of "offended" on its head,that's why the emoji..in old Nparks rhetoric..taking the piss..:teehee:

Ahh - thought I’d just tweaked your Germanic sensibilities. Didn’t want to start a war or anything :thumbup:

He will make some big errors over the coming weeks I think. Hopefully they go unpunished and fans stick with him. He looks to have the technique and composure of HM. It's the positioning, concentration and reading of the game I'm less sure of at this point. 

Of the 2 CBs we bought last season I honestly thought Benkovic would be the first choice, I’m glad that Soyuncu has stepped up and taken the lead. It’s fantastic that we are fortunate to have both of them and Evans as a mentor... 

17 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Ahh - thought I’d just tweaked your Germanic sensibilities. Didn’t want to start a war or anything :thumbup:

Anglo-saxon-Norman, Bastard,with proud blood of the "old melton Road",

Carved,ilched out,and rumbles on Western Park...fighting for blood rights,

Of semper eadam& New Parks through and Through...

Germanic...! My wife and kids,yup !!

but after 40 years,slowly civilizing and cultervating them!!  Then Boris & Corbyn comes along & fuxx it up!!!...:englandsmile4wf:....:ill:

Between..Good neighbours.& 

The Dominion..terrority gained & Held.

No Braunstone nor Glennies slipping through our guard..unless honourary like

P.Shilton esq...

Yes I jumped ship!!  But carried The foxes &Tigers badge proudly..through Himalyian Shangrila,then through the Darian gap,

Rajastan,gobi desert,Inca trail heights,through Mayan jungles...right to

The heart of My Schwarzwa'lder Ma'dle.

But not really Germanic...tho' the Poles &  German PoWs,did build our

New Parks roads!!

Ps...but a nice guy really.  Grankids,just reckon I am a weirdo bushman on Wheels ( wheelchair)...!!:teehee:

Before capitulation...

IMG_20180316_132157.thumb.jpg.4636c2eeb9828cfc05a87193e90e82fb.jpg

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

This is why we signed him-

cometh the hour, cometh the man

john: 4:23

Opportunity makes the man.

(I knew this without looking)

🤥

Cometh the man, cometh the smile

Jeff 4:20

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sdb said:

He will make some big errors over the coming weeks I think. Hopefully they go unpunished and fans stick with him. He looks to have the technique and composure of HM. It's the positioning, concentration and reading of the game I'm less sure of at this point. 

Maguires worst part of his game is his positioning and reading the game. People forget this because he makes incredible runs and he’s a monster in the air.

One thing to bear in mind is we shouldn't start screaming about errors if an attacker gets behind him. We've spent the last few years exclusively watching slower centre backs who had to win the first tackle as they didn't have the pace to recover if someone got past them, but Soyuncu is actually pretty quick, so he's going to commit more aggressively to stuff that Maguire, Evans, Morgan, Huth etc wouldn't have, knowing he has pace to get back and make a second attempt at getting the ball back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

BOTOX.  You are full of Botox.   

LCFC have signed young talent.  This forum,  although it would have rather retained Maguire, were uncertain about him.   He was one of our top ten playyers last season.

3 hours ago, Hammo said:

I think he's got promise, real promise. He is mobile, can pass the ball well with both feet and - let's not forget - he was a Bundesliga regular with Freiburg and has already been capped 24 times by Turkey at just 23.

Yes, he's still a work in progress at Premier League level, and needs to cut out the rash challenges (as in the first minute v Atalanta), but he's bided his time at the club and now definitely deserves his chance.

Let's all get behind the lad and boost his confidence. We can start by cheering his name loudly before kickoff on Sunday as if he were a new signing!

Fake news?

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Anglo-saxon-Norman, Bastard,with proud blood of the "old melton Road",

Carved,ilched out,and rumbles on Western Park...fighting for blood rights,

Of semper eadam& New Parks through and Through...

Germanic...! My wife and kids,yup !!

but after 40 years,slowly civilizing and cultervating them!!  Then Boris & Corbyn comes along & fuxx it up!!!...:englandsmile4wf:....:ill:

Between..Good neighbours.& 

The Dominion..terrority gained & Held.

No Braunstone nor Glennies slipping through our guard..unless honourary like

P.Shilton esq...

Yes I jumped ship!!  But carried The foxes &Tigers badge proudly..through Himalyian Shangrila,then through the Darian gap,

Rajastan,gobi desert,Inca trail heights,through Mayan jungles...right to

The heart of My Schwarzwa'lder Ma'dle.

But not really Germanic...tho' the Poles &  German PoWs,did build our

New Parks roads!!

Ps...but a nice guy really.  Grankids,just reckon I am a weirdo bushman on Wheels ( wheelchair)...!!:teehee:

Before capulation...

IMG_20180316_132157.thumb.jpg.4636c2eeb9828cfc05a87193e90e82fb.jpg

No justification required my friend. We’re all Germanic if you go back far enough. Angles Saxon Norman all Germanic tribes non the less ( Germanic in reference to area not the modern understanding of the word)