Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

7 minutes ago, shailen said:

He does too much in the ball, and is always trying to look for glory himself, and ultimately gives it away or wastes the chance. Needs to make smarter decisions on the ball and he can still be a good player for us. 

Yeah it's his football brain that's wrong. He's got the skills, just not the sense to use them in the right place at the right time.

Take someone like Beckham, always mocked as a bit of a div, but when he was talking football, he was remarkably sharp, which was also clear on the pitch and look where that got him.

I've always felt that maybe Gray could be "educated" more, but he's not showing any signs of it.

14 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yeah it's his football brain that's wrong. He's got the skills, just not the sense to use them in the right place at the right time.

Take someone like Beckham, always mocked as a bit of a div, but when he was talking football, he was remarkably sharp, which was also clear on the pitch and look where that got him.

I've always felt that maybe Gray could be "educated" more, but he's not showing any signs of it.

I've been vocal about this before - it's rooted in his attitude. 

Ben Chilwell knew he wasn't quick enough or fit enough. Trained through the summer and the result was a fitter and all round improved player. England caps for days now. 

Demarai thinks he's more than good enough to start, has vocally agitated for moves. Accused us of holding him back.  The result 12 goals and fifteen assists spread over 157 appearances in 5 seasons. 

Don't give me the 'yeah but substitute' bullshit either. He's had time to improve himself. He's had time to develop. Four managers haven't fancied him. He isn't good enough because he thinks he IS. 

Maybe somewhere else he can realise he isn't the complete player and make something of himself. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Absolutely agree. Gray very much reminds me of Sterling who early in his career had the talent but not the intelligence and it took Guardiolas coaching to turn him into a player that consistently performs now. 

Can Brendan do the same with Gray? I think bar Klopp and Pep we have one of the best man managers to be able to do that. 

1 hour ago, Bablemikey said:

Perfect opportunity yesterday to show he merits a place, but sadly he played like someone who knows his future lies elsewhere.

No one really had a great individual game yesterday though he's definitelt yesterday's scapegoat. Even though we won

Edited by whoareyaaa

1 hour ago, FOXSE said:

How many people commenting on Gray, would have binned off Vardy and iheanacho?

Sometimes I think people on this forum need 'a fresh start somewhere else'! :-)

They improved over a much shorter period of time. And visibly so 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, FLAN said:

They improved over a much shorter period of time. And visibly so 

Iheanacho would have been gone in the summer. People were saying it would have been madness to not sell Vardy to west brom for £7 m. Gray will improve under Rodgers. He has come on and made a good impact this season. The first game against West Ham, he missed a penalty, but was excellent over all. He is 23, he is still relatively young.

• Thanks 1

The difference with Vardy and Iheanacho is they've come good a lot sooner.

Vardy was out of his depth in his first season here but it was kind of natural as well really. He did struggle in his first year in the Premier League for a while but he always had something.

Iheanacho's under his second manager here (third if you include I think 8 games under Shakespeare) and the second one appears to have almost transformed him. Whether it's Rodgers' coaching, the realisation from being dropped from Nigeria that he's in genuine danger of pissing his career away or a mixture of those and other things, Iheanacho is looking a real asset to us now.

Gray has been here for four years now. He's genuinely our Theo Walcott. It's the same story every time as well. He's had the most time and has produced the least. If Gray had kicked on he would stand out in a game like that yesterday but it was the usual - next to nothing produced all game.

He's not good enough. He's not the worst player I've ever seen by any means but he's not good enough for a team with our aspirations. Bournemouth have been interested before and Howe has been known to sign players he's tracked for a long time, a bit like us. If Bergwijn comes in this week then that probably frees up a winger to go and with 18 months left on his deal, and Bournemouth in a pretty desperate situation in the league I can see it going through.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Would prefer him to come off the bench with 20 minutes to go and told to just run at defenders with the ball obviously, never seems to play well when he starts unfortunately. :thumbup:

One of his key problems is running at defenders with the ball instead of playing quickly and finding space for a return ball. 
I’m certain he will end up a championship journeyman similar to Ben Marshall 

• Like 1

Strange that a few other people have said this as well, but for some reason I've been thinking Gray has just not started peaking yet and is getting warmed up for ages now. I've always thought he was just waiting to get going and eventually would.

But I was thinking whilst watching him on Brentford, for the first time this is, that I just don't think he has got anything else in him, in other words there is no waiting for him to get better, I think he's as good now as he'll always be. 

I expected him to better than he is. But I'm not saying he's a bad footballer, he's just not got the gift I thought he might have.