Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

Maybe we should spend 60 mil on another CB.lol.............. He is going to be a legend. and to think what most of you thought in the window. ComedyGold.

I miss Harry's runs too, BUT, at the same time, I don't, because as inspired and thrilling they were to watch, they made us higly vulnerable on the counter... So after a careful consideration I'd say I appreciate the solid if not very adventurous Soy more than a flamboyant but defensively shaky Maguire.

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Loved it when he got back to bail out Evans when he got fowled and then totally took charge of the situation 

That was incredible to see. He's been great so far this season, but he's seemed more of a "follower" type of defender than a leader. IE of the two centre halves usually one controls the line and marshals the rest of the back four. But this was like another side of his game, where he took the responsibility in his own hands and dealt with the situation despite not having made the mistake.

That's the sort of play that captains do, so this shows us he has leadership characteristics. Doubt he will ever be captain here, but he could well be for his national side in the future. It bodes very well for Leicester.

• Like 1

Maguire is better in the air and at heading. Maybe his long passing is better too (though I actually think Soyuncu's short passing is better - Maguire tended to have a howler in his locker at least once per game.

Soyuncu is rapid though (which is a huge advantage), and his skills on the ball may even exceed Maguire's - he seems to get out of danger so easily. It's early days yet, but on current showings he certainly has the potential to be at least as good as Maguire, if not better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

Absolute class all Maguire has over him is the passing range 

That might be a bit unfair on Soyuncu, because he's a good passer. Maguire of course was unique in that he could dribble past opponents like an attacking midfielder! It's why he went for 80m. There were times when we would beat one of their men in their half of the field, or make a pass like a playmaker. With Soyuncu he does not venture as far forwards, something which I think he has been specifically told NOT to do by Rodgers, because he actually did do it last season.

I think Rodgers has handled him superbly, he realises that first Soyuncu needs to learn to defend and cope with Premier League attackers. For as good as he was today, he could have done better for Wilson's goal for example. But once he has that nailed down, he might start coming forward. I remember against Huddersfield away last season he made a few Maguire esque runs, including one into their penalty area!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Whisper it quietly, but I think Soyuncu is better than Maguire.

I miss Maguire's awesome runs from CB bringing the ball forwards to get our attacks started, but we look so much more solid with Soyuncu and Evans as a two. Maguire was not the fastest and got caught out a number of times during his Leicester career, partly because he would stride up-field meaning he was out of position when we lost it. Soyuncu defensively I think is really good. He does make the occasional mistake (as do almost all CB's), but he is sooooo good at dealing with threatening situations on the whole, and even better he's almost Kante-esque in that not only does he deal with the trouble, but he gets the team going with intelligent passes, without having to stride up the pitch and get caught out of position.

Maguire was better aerially than him and better on the ball. But Soyuncu for me this season has been the complete centre half. Strong defensively, good on the ball, intelligent positioning, can be trusted with the ball.

Really, really impressed!

As to Maguire. I'll give you the aerial but I'm not so sure about better on the ball. Never saw Maguire pull any Cruyff turns.

I may be imagining about him and Chilwell beating a 4 man Bournemouth press. But it was incredible the skill with which they pulled it off.

That match was like the wild west. Stuff legends are made of.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

As to Maguire. I'll give you the aerial but I'm not so sure about better on the ball. Never saw Maguire pull any Cruyff turns.

I may be imagining about him and Chilwell beating a 4 man Bournemouth press. But it was incredible the skill with which they pulled it off.

I recall him doing one or two, but Soyuncu has probably done more this season than Maguire has in his career!

I am worried that he's going to get caught out doing it in the near future, but it's bloody fantastic to watch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Yes I agree with you, see my post just above yours!

I think Soyuncu is actually a better passer at short distances than Maguire, who did sometimes give away some bad ones (see against Crystal Palace last week). But Maguire did go for more raking passes, or Riyad Mahrez impressions from time-to-time! But I don't always think that was to the benefit of the team. It looked in Puel's system as we had two defensive midfielders playing the pivot, now that we only play one, Soyuncu is doing the right thing.

VVD is currently the best defender in the world, and I'd argue Soyuncu is playing like a mini-version of him. Soyuncu also looks a lot like Carles Puyol, and I think he has that similar playstyle, as Puyol was quick and a great passer, as well as having very good positioning.

Edited by StriderHiryu

Just now, Charl91 said:

If anything I would say Soyuncu is more flamboyant. Cruyff turns all over the shop!! lol 

That's a good argument for Soy! lol Technically, he must be one of the few most gifted defenders in the league. He pulls the stuff (like fancy sidesteps and Cryuff turns) the most of them only pull off on the training ground, if ever!

• Like 1