Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

A great performance apart from being largely at fault for their only goal.  But with a youngster, that's part of the deal.

Soyuncu is impressive technically.  The Cruyff turns are obviously sexy, but he's also a terrific passer for a central defender.

All those smooth operator moves in his own area look great on Youtube videos, but they've already gotten Cags in trouble a couple of times.  I hope with experience he learns there are times when a defender needs to forego style points and play it safe (a distinction which Evans is a brilliant example of).

Sure it's been said before, but I reckon it's just guilt for doubting him, or at least that's what I'm experiencing. 

I reckon many are like "Weren't me mate that doubted you, I knew all along you were good...you can ask Brendan" which is fuelling his adulation, and rightly so.

I thought we needed experience to replace Maguire with as little risk as possible. 

However, Soyuncu is proving me utterly wrong, nothing changes there then.

He looks so composed and confident. His iffy positioning is well documented, but that will improve with time. 

Once he gets that right I reckon we'll see him brining the ball out more.

He started the 3rd goal, which is interesting how high he's pressing up the pitch at that time in the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Haven't read all posts since my last one but forgot to mention he also puts a foot in to dispossess a Bournemouth player and that kicks off the lead up to the 3rd goal. Just a simple prod of the ball to our player. 

This is a massive part of how he seems to play and yesterday showed the benefits. If you want to play a co-ordinated pressing game it’s helpful to have defenders who like to play on the front foot.

There will doubtless be a few occasions when he gets tight like that and gets rolled by smart strikers, but I think it has brought something different to our team having a defender who is that aggressive with his defending. 

17 minutes ago, ttfn said:

This is a massive part of how he seems to play and yesterday showed the benefits. If you want to play a co-ordinated pressing game it’s helpful to have defenders who like to play on the front foot.

There will doubtless be a few occasions when he gets tight like that and gets rolled by smart strikers, but I think it has brought something different to our team having a defender who is that aggressive with his defending. 

Yeah and he also seems much more mature and sensible when it comes to deciding when and who to press. It's not like a gung-ho approach. He has a lot of common sense which goes back to the point raised (by @Bert I think) that he not only likes to Cruyff turn in his own half but also knows when to boot it out as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s part confidence, part having the game time to learn the Premier League. 

He’s playing very well without being faultless 

Can you honestly say any one of Kasper, Ricardo, Chilli, Wes or Maguire never made a mistake that led to goal last season?

He’s a superb player, and has been for some time. He has more attributes to his game than people think. He’s not terrible in the air, he wins more aerial duels than not, but we’re pretty clever with the way we defend, he is usually ready to sweep in behind Evans if he misses a header. His pace as people have mentioned again is always an advantage. Composure on the ball, is second to none, always happy to have the ball at his feet and even in dangerous situations. 

His most impressive attribute is his maturity, I think that rashness we saw from him was purely down to his sporadic playing time, but now he’s a constant along side Evans, it’s clear to see how mature he actually is, he knows when to play, and he knows when to defend. He is also full blooded and doesn’t leave anything, even if he does give away the occasional foul.

finally, to blame him for the first goal is unfair, it was super movement from Wilson, and a goal equally as classy as Vardy’s. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 2

Soyuncu looks class.  The ball went to him so often.  He is clearly trusted by the team;  he has the I intelligence to find space.

People are picking out different moments where he was fantastic.

I was impressed by his concentration.  Perhaps he is benefiting from a run in the team.  Boxing Day last year, against Cardiff,  you could see some class.  Then he misplaced a pass and wasn't the same.  Yesterday, he looked very classy throughout the game.

It is good that his main focus is on defending.  However, he does get forward sometimes;  so e posts suggest he doesn't.   When he put one over the bar from 20 yards, my dad said,  "What's he doing there?"

Brilliant yesterday.  Our whole defence is shaping up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s a superb player, and has been for some time. He has more attributes to his game than people think. He’s not terrible in the air, he wins more aerial duels than not, but we’re pretty clever with the way we defend, he is usually ready to sweep in behind Evans if he misses a header. His pace as people have mentioned again is always an advantage. Composure on the ball, is second to none, always happy to have the ball at his feet and even in dangerous situations. 

His most impressive attribute is his maturity, I think that rashness we saw from him was purely down to his sporadic playing time, but now he’s a constant along side Evans, it’s clear to see how mature he actually is, he knows when to play, and he knows when to defend. He is also full blooded and doesn’t leave anything, even if he does give away the occasional foul.

finally, to blame him for the first goal is unfair, it was super movement from Wilson, and a goal equally as classy as Vardy’s. 

Totally agree with all you've said.

I did note for the Wilson goal that it looked like he tried to step up and almost catch him offside, just didn't work. 

I can honestly say that Soyuncu has been a revelation and one player who has proved and is continuing to prove doubters wrong (I too was sceptical of his abilities). That being said, with his play style and skills with the ball I think we will see some disastrous moments but that's part of how he plays, he brings excitement in all he does... according to the guy from Gladiator, are you not entertained?