Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sheff Utd (A) Post Match Thread - 1 - 2

7 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I think it’s possible to appreciate the hard work and tenacity of Sheffield United and still be disappointed with the tactics and execution today.

That's a balanced vied to take. I'm just saying that taking the overall context of things, we are unbeaten, played two of the teams that are above us and temporarily sit in 3rd place. We went to a very tough ground to go to in a very grueling game and got the points. For me this reminds of games in our Championship title run in in 13/14, where we didn't win pretty but we won. I think overall we handled the pressure and atmosphere very well. There are definitely tons of areas to improve in, but I still think overall we were OK.

14 minutes ago, Guest said:

Because we are the mighty Leicester City and they are lowly fodder for us to sweep aside?

Becaus it’s embarrassing that parking the bus is the only you can see off a newly promoted side. Especially if you have aspirations for European football.

I take nothing away from Sheffield, I’ve been praising them all night. They’ll stay up, and win some matches against good teams along the way.  But we had to throw in a 3rd CD because they were killing us in the box and basically bunker down for the last 20 minutes. That’s not ideal.

Edited by Deeg67

Guest BlueBrett

My stream was beyond wank. Missed majority of second half including Barnes' screamer :(  Never know whether I'm better off with VPN on or off. Thoght we looked decent first half though, lovely bit of quality from Maddison to put JV through. Pity he couldn't manage to find  another pass like that last week - we'd be top of the league now!

Edited by BlueBrett

5 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

Anyone else impressed with Praet?

He had a couple of class touches and has already shown he will be more than just another pedestrian midfielder.

Can't wait to see him when he's up to speed!

He was very solid defensively and did have a couple of nice touches. I didn’t think the formation did him any favors, and he wasn’t a major presence for much of his hour on the pitch. Still a very encouraging first start.

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Becaus it’s embarrassing that parking the bus is the only you can see off a newly promoted side. Especially if you have aspirations for European football.

I take nothing away from Sheffield, I’ve been praising them all night. They’ll stay up, and win some matches against good teams along the way.  But we had to throw in a 3rd CD defender because they were killing us in the box and basically bunker down for the last 20 minutes. That’s not ideal.

Don’t you remember losing at home 5-0 to a newly promoted side? We got the job done, no embarrassment at all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I take nothing away from Sheffield, I’ve been praising them all night. They’ll stay up, and win some matches against good teams along the way.  But we had to throw in a 3rd CD defender because they were killing us in the box and basically bunker down for the last 20 minutes. That’s not ideal.

I'd say it was tactically astute. Ensured the 3 points. The first win is an important one. I don't think we can always expect us to go away from home against organised teams and blow them away...just a bit unrealistic. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

But that's how you win this sort of football match !! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Is it okay just to think an away win against anyone in this league is good? 

Yes we’ve not quite clicked yet, but amongst that we’ve not lost In three games against two top 6 competitors and an excitable newly promoted team! 

Absolutely. Well said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I take nothing away from Sheffield, I’ve been praising them all night. They’ll stay up, and win some matches against good teams along the way.  But we had to throw in a 3rd CD because they were killing us in the box and basically bunker down for the last 20 minutes. That’s not ideal.

Reality check needed mate. No team will go there and roll them over barring maybe Man City

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, srex9 said:

I'd say it was tactically astute. Ensured the 3 points. The first win is an important one. I don't think we can always expect us to go away from home against organised teams and blow them away...just a bit unrealistic. 

Total straw man -  never said anything about “blowing away”. But you shouldn’t have to throw in Morgan as a third defender and have him pinball around the box emergency defending for 15 minutes to see out a match against a mid to lower-mid table side.  Getting three away points is great.  The manner in which the last 20 minutes played out is something we should take as less than desirable and something to be corrected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

It takes sometime to get into the swing. I've not seen any teams looking really sharp yet. We were poor at times today but we won. Some of the negativity is a bit extreme in my opinion. 

Criticising Brendan for making the Morgan sub which ultimately helped us win the game seems very churlish - it seems that because it goes against some people's ideal of how to win a game then it's somehow not valid.

I also think we weren't handling those dangerous balls coming into the box. Wes is too slow to play in a two, but is a great bulwark against balls coming into the six yard area. I thought that sub was smart.

Soy Boy had his first average game since taking Harry's spot. He looks very ropey with balls coming into the box, and his passing is a bit lax, but he'w young and will learn.

Happy with the three points

• Like 3

Did people miss that Sheffield United put on a centre forward as we put on Big Wes?

It was old fashioned tactics in an old fashioned stadium with an old fashioned, blood and thunder atmosphere.

If anything, it shows Brendon Roger's flexibility.

• Like 4