Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
st albans fox

Yanited A pre match

14 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

A draw is acceptable. Playing for a draw is not.

We need to get past this “it is Manchester United” mindset until they (and Chelsea) prove they’re back to their usual dominance. Right now Manchester United is just another mid-table football club.

Agree.  If we come away with a draw having given a good account of ourselves as an attacking threat, I would take that. I think though we may approach the game in the same way we did against Chelsea. cautious and hopefully all square at half time then change things around and go for it. Personally I would rather we went all out for it from the off. The best form of defence is to press from the front, keep them on the back foot. If we get our noses in front, then certainly look to shore things up for the last phase of the game and protect what you have.

42 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'm expecting a similar team to Chelsea, question is whether its Perez, Barnes or Albrighton. We will go there and dominate possession but United have players that can burst into life when they fancy it. Its a really interesting game and difficult to predict.

That’s an interesting call - I suspect that given they will be a bit of a wounded animal, they will have a strong start. 

If we hold out then then I can see it being fairly even for possession. If we fall behind then like last year, we can expect to see plenty of the ball for long spells.  

52 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Agree.  If we come away with a draw having given a good account of ourselves as an attacking threat, I would take that. I think though we may approach the game in the same way we did against Chelsea. cautious and hopefully all square at half time then change things around and go for it. Personally I would rather we went all out for it from the off. The best form of defence is to press from the front, keep them on the back foot. If we get our noses in front, then certainly look to shore things up for the last phase of the game and protect what you have.

So then, Blitzkrieg then Atlantic Wall?

wonder how that worked out?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

On the other hand, sitting back let's us counter much easier, and seeing as their midfield is more lightweight than my granny, and the only member of their defence with any pace is currently injured (Wan-Bissaka), and with Shaw out as well, it makes sense to set up lower down the pitch, win the ball in midfield and counter as we'd get a lot of space to work with. 

I'm building this one up, sorry. 

Bar the Champo's League games and they sort of don't really count in the context I'm getting at, but I reckon this is one of the most important games since West Brom during the Great Escape.

No real significance in terms of pressure, but just to gauge where we are.

If we lose, it won't significantly damage anything and it's Man U, so hey-ho.

If we draw, I still can't see any sort of worry.

If we win though, something is actually happening.

I know Man Utd are a random act these days, but it really shouldn't matter which version turns up. 

Generally, our good results against Man U have been considered "down to them playing badly" etc etc, but if we win this one, it will be down to our merit alone.

I can't see us doing badly and all we have to do is target their centre half as he's fairly slow, Vardy is going to rattle him big time.

Tricky to pick a tactic against their potential injuries, but logic says the starting line up of Bournemouth will happen again and that's the way I'd go.

For me, it just feels made for Maddison, so I'd like him centrally to utilise that area of the pitch and exploit/bombard their defence. 

Really excited about this game. 

Edited by Danny Clender

3 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

I'm building this one up, sorry. 

Bar the Champo's League games and they sort of don't really count in the context I'm getting at, but I reckon this is one of the most important games since West Brom during the Great Escape.

No real significance in terms of pressure, but just to gauge where we are.

If we lose, it won't significantly damage anything and it's Man U, so hey-ho.

If we draw, I still can't see any sort of worry.

If we win though, something is actually happening.

I know Man Utd are a random act these days, but it really shouldn't matter which version turns up. 

Generally, our good results against Man U have been considered "down to them playing badly" etc etc, but if we win this one, it will be down to our merit alone.

I can't see us doing badly and all we have to do is target their centre half as he's fairly slow, Vardy is going to rattle him big time.

Tricky to pick a tactic against their potential injuries, but logic says the starting line up of Bournemouth will happen again and that's the way I'd go.

For me, it just feels made for Maddison, so I'd like him centrally to utilise that area of the pitch and exploit/bombard their defence. 

Really excited about this game. 

Feel exactly the same good indicator as to where we are at and if we can genuinely break into the top 6. Can’t wait 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

We need to get past this “it is Manchester United” mindset until they (and Chelsea) prove they’re back to their usual dominance. Right now Manchester United is just another mid-table football club.

Put Man U's XI into Southampton shirts and we were a way this Saturday at St Mary's.... We'd be calling this a tremendously tough game against a very very good Saints side.

But, entirely winnable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We need to put pressure on and overload that left hand side. 

If we can catch them and draw Maguire out of position or isolate him, we can either create space or force a mistake

Presumably to put pressure on young ..... would be a mistake to put a left footed player cutting in over there as plays to Young’s stronger foot ....better to play someone who is going to go on the outside 

Just now, st albans fox said:

Presumably to put pressure on young ..... would be a mistake to put a left footed player cutting in over there as plays to Young’s stronger foot ....better to play someone who is going to go on the outside 

Albrighton or Gray would be ideal. 

Albrighton running to the byline, bringing ricardo into play as well. 

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

That's assuming their form picks up lol 

• Haha 2