Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England v Bulgaria - Wembley Sat @ 5pm (ITV)

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Why is it 'weird'? It's a discussion. Southgate did a good job but it doesn't mean I can't criticise, it's a forum ffs. Last summer was incredible, I haven't said anything other. We overachieved. Do I think he'll do anything else though? No.

lol You clearly feel that the shoe fits?

Regarding Southgate, he's done nothing but a very good job since taking over the shambles that was the Hodgson era. He's got his shortcomings as all managers do. Not sure where people could be critical of him other than his CV so far, and Low hardly had the most impressive CV when he took the Germany job.

My post is aimed at those who love slagging off the England side coming out of the woodwork again. Those who revel in it when we lose. There were plenty before last Summer and there are plenty reappearing. Doesn't surprise me at all.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Do I think he'll do anything else though? No.

Realistically, we have a good but not outstanding squad. I’m not sure any manager in the world is likely to win anything with the players at our disposal aside from maybe playing ultra-defensively à la Greece in 04 but obviously that’s not sustainable nor likely to be successful for us.

And watch us not make a break through for 65 minutes against a team who will likely sit there. 

What's the point in calling up youth to not trust them? Maddison is a vital cog in a team touted at being "one to watch", Mount has been trusted and chucked in the deep end at a top 6 club and is looking like one of the best players. What is wrong with out set up that we constantly, time and time again fall back to using "tried and tested".

Jordan Henderson and Declan Rice will leave us with the same issues last time, struggling to come out of defence and having little attacking strength in the middle. We'll rely on the wingers and some how getting it to Kane to scuff one in or get a penalty.

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

why the **** does it seem everyone is drinking the southgate kool aid. he's not a good manager tactically. 

He’s reignited the love for the national team which has been lacking for so long. Created a relationship between the fans and team which had been missing. Got us trying to play a style of football that the players and fans buy into. Don’t think anyone’s claiming Southgate to be the next Guardiola but he’s trying to be creative and give us a national side to be proud of. 

• Like 1

I am sure I heard somewhere that Southgate said that Maddison will need to change his club  playing position due to the fact England do not play with a No 10. 

So you pick a player because he plays well for his club then remark that he will need to change his position to become a regular England player.

Or did he mean a team that does not play with a No 10?

43 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Still can't believe how many people buy into the media myth that Southgate is a good manager. The bloke is a Steve McClaren type fraud, media savvy, but a nothing manager! 

Well he managed to get us in the semi finals of the world cup, which is more than anyone has done in almost 30 years.  We have to stop blaming managers all the time, most countries look at the players first then the manager we always blame the manager first.  Our players aren't that great, reaching the semi finals was us achieving beyond our talent so you have to admit Southgate made some positive impact.  I thought he was just another yes man but he wasn't afraid to drop superstars and pick lesser known players and it worked, I was wrong about him.  We should all wind back our expectations a little just like we did before the WC.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Goober said:

lol You clearly feel that the shoe fits?

Regarding Southgate, he's done nothing but a very good job since taking over the shambles that was the Hodgson era. He's got his shortcomings as all managers do. Not sure where people could be critical of him other than his CV so far, and Low hardly had the most impressive CV when he took the Germany job.

My post is aimed at those who love slagging off the England side coming out of the woodwork again. Those who revel in it when we lose. There were plenty before last Summer and there are plenty reappearing. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Bang average manager with a bang average team..

15 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Sorry, but I just feel totally apathetic towards England again. The World Cup seems like a long time ago, and I cant bring myself to get excited about the Euro qualification, it’s just a formality.

The excitement around City’s potential this season is addictive and the international breaks are an unwelcome borefest.

I always support England and it's hard when you live in the country of the world champions but I agree with the above sentiment. This period (and then again next month ...) is just a gaping yaw in the progress of Leicester City with the unwanted possibility of injuries not gained in our own fight. The standard of opposition is what makes the games, on the whole, so boring.

14 hours ago, Goober said:

Not taken long for people to turn against the England side again. Well weird. Last summer was incredible

Have people really turned against them? I'm certainly not but I think the "well weird" situation was last summer when Brits were getting orgasmic about a pretty routine team in a very poor world cup. We beat no-one of any standing in our magnificent run to the semis and really should have made the finals to face a half decent team for the first time in the championships. The tournament was WELL WIERD.

Southgate was and is meh, but he does seem pretty good at man management if not tactics and flexibility.

I just like to remember that I was born in Leicester and don't have to support Scotland. What has happened to them? They are one of football's poverty sides and it really doesn't make sense. Scottish football should probably just cancel itself and join the English FA and play in our non-league structure - I guess Celtic can play division 1 and Rangers division 2. Total collapse in my lifetime which has no sign of being turned around, they should sell themselves to the Arab league. 

8 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

And watch us not make a break through for 65 minutes against a team who will likely sit there. 

What's the point in calling up youth to not trust them? Maddison is a vital cog in a team touted at being "one to watch", Mount has been trusted and chucked in the deep end at a top 6 club and is looking like one of the best players. What is wrong with out set up that we constantly, time and time again fall back to using "tried and tested".

Jordan Henderson and Declan Rice will leave us with the same issues last time, struggling to come out of defence and having little attacking strength in the middle. We'll rely on the wingers and some how getting it to Kane to scuff one in or get a penalty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Agreed. There really is no need for two holding players against weaker opposition. Perfect opportunity here to play Henderson or Rice and bring in Maddison or Mount in a more advanced position. I like Southgate but he is overly cautious a lot of the time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Two of Henderson, Rice and Winks were always going to play. Fingers crossed it's not all 3. Winks and Henderson would be my choice for this game. Question is who 3rd midfielder, is it has been Barkley recently but would it has to be Mount or Maddison for this game? 

I can't see what the fuss is about with Winks? Decent player but I've not seen him really control a game 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Two of Henderson, Rice and Winks were always going to play. Fingers crossed it's not all 3. Winks and Henderson would be my choice for this game. Question is who 3rd midfielder, is it has been Barkley recently but would it has to be Mount or Maddison for this game? 

It'll be Barkley, given Mount and Maddison will start from the bench