Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frost

Post Match: Man Utd 1-0 LCFC

1 hour ago, Kopic said:

Well that has completely ruined my birthday.

Ā 

Not about to let it ruin mine.

Ā 

In four hours Iā€™ll be at a clambake with 100 people who have no clue what happened in the PL today, and more than enough good beer and wine to move me into that same category.

Ā 

Hope your day picks up!

Edited by KingsX
  • Thanks 1

Brendan Rodgers says Leicester City will seek to improve their performances in the early stages of games after conceding a goal in the eighth minute against Manchester United on Saturday.

Ā 

Ƈağlar SƶyĆ¼ncĆ¼ā€™sĀ foul on Marcus Rashford resulted in the Manchester United forward beatingĀ Kasper SchmeichelĀ from 12 yards, despite the Denmark international doing well five minutes earlier to deny Andreas Pereira.

Cityā€™s attempts to equalise, most notably throughĀ James Maddison,Ā Ben ChilwellĀ andĀ Wilfred Ndidi, were thwarted, and Rodgers underlined the importance of starting games more positive at the full-time whistle.

ā€œItā€™s frustrating,ā€ said Rodgers. ā€œWe didnā€™t start the game well from the very first kick, from kick-off. Then, we gave away the cheap penalty and that sets you back. When youā€™re away from home in these big games, itā€™s not the ideal start, but we worked our way into it.

ā€œI think [in] the last 15 minutes of the first half, we were better, and we found our confidence again. In the second half, we were much like ourselves. We worked the ball much quicker, to the sides, through the middle.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

If we're going to play two defensive midfielders, we have to sacrifice one of Maddison orĀ  Tielemans. We need to keep width, and play a team that means we can take advantage if we get on top. Football managementĀ is about tough decisions. If Rodgers insists on playing Ndidi and Choudhury, that's the tough decision he has to make.

Ā 

What's to sacrifice?Ā  Youri -- our all time record transfer -- doesn't return any value in that system anyway.Ā  Which may be the most damning thing about it.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mythyaar said:

Rodgers deserves the plaudts when he gets it right and criticism when he gets it wrong. Today he got it badly wrong. To play 2 DMs when Pogba wasn't on the field was unduly conservative. To start with Gray? Completely unfathomable

I don't think it's unfathomable.Ā  Gray has pace and the thinking was that we could use it against their slow left side of defence (Maguire/Young) I would imagine.

Ā 

It just didn't work unfortunately.

Just now, KingsX said:

Ā 

What's to sacrifice?Ā  Youri -- our all time record transfer -- doesn't return any value in that system anyway.Ā  Which may be the most damning thing about it.

When I say sacrifice, I suppose I'm talking from Rodgers point of view. He sees them as unstoppable so will shoehorn them in anywhere.

Iā€™m equally as pissed off about the system and intent that we started the game with, but if Maddison scores that early chance itā€™s a different game.

Ā 

My biggest concern is the lack of creativity even when we moved to 4-2-3-1. We are too reliant on Maddison. Tielemans appears to be playing in slow motion, Gray is ineffective, Barnes threatens but too often offers little at the end of it, Perez looks out of sorts, Chilwell is one dimensionalĀ and Ndidi simply gives it away too much.

Ā 

Iā€™m not convinced we needed Perez. We needed a more creative player. Someone simonise to Maddison to take the weight off.

Ā 

Oh well. Opportunity missed. Fingers crossed we donā€™t make the same mistake against Tottenham next week.

• Like 1

I am struggling, and I think the players are too, to see what kind of side we are. We are a possession side that can only really threaten on the counter, how does that work?Ā 

Ā 

We don't have any options out wide apart from full backs who then have to turn back, we don't seem to have options for Ndidi and Choudhury to pass forwards either despite Tielemans and Maddison being there. We need someone to run with the ball, surge through a space to create space for others. Maybe Praet can do that?Ā 

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers says his side should have got something from the game but admitted they were 'too passive' in their 1-0 defeat to Manchester United in the Premier League.

Ā 

video

Ā 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/leicester-city/11809717/rodgers-we-were-too-passive

Well thatā€™s a good assessment from him. Puel would have for sure said he was happy and positive after a performance like that and I say that as someone who was pro Puel until that fateful Palace game.Ā 

Ā 

For me we saw today some of our ā€œboysā€ fail to take their opportunities to become men. Specifically Maddison and Tielemans. Neither were disastrous, in fact when Maddison played centrally I thought he was good. But for these players to reach the next level they need to be able to run and boss a game like this for 90 minutes. Itā€™s not a question of lack of talent but maybe a lack of experience and bravery. I was hoping both would use this to show the Premier League what they are all about and send a message. That requires character and even a touch of arrogance to demand the ball, command others and knowing when to quicken or slow the game when necessary. This goes for others too. We play the safe ball far too often instead of daring to go for the jugular.Ā 

Ā 

I do feel both will eventually get there though. Players like Eriksen and even De Bruyne werenā€™t able to do it overnight. Possibly the only young player that could seemingly do it immediately was Fabregas, but he was unique in that aspect.Ā 

Ā 

After today I feel we are more likely to finish 7th than any higher. A point or all 3 would have given us serious momentum but this is certainly a back down to earth moment.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Iā€™m equally as pissed off about the system and intent that we started the game with, but if Maddison scores that early chance itā€™s a different game.

Ā 

My biggest concern is the lack of creativity even when we moved to 4-2-3-1. We are too reliant on Maddison. Tielemans appears to be playing in slow motion, Gray is ineffective, Barnes threatens but too often offers little at the end of it, Perez looks out of sorts, Chilwell is one dimensionalĀ and Ndidi simply gives it away too much.

Ā 

Iā€™m not convinced we needed Perez. We needed a more creative player. Someone simonise to Maddison to take the weight off.

Ā 

Oh well. Opportunity missed. Fingers crossed we donā€™t make the same mistake against Tottenham next week.

I think you're right, I wanted us to put in a cheeky bid for Shaqiri who gets no game time at liverpool

Set up was far too negative. That United team were there for the taking and we've gifted them 3 points.Ā 

Ā 

I think this shows that we're still some way off being a top six side. Have to beat teams in the traditional top six to break into it and so far we've taken one point from two games which isn't good enough really. Brendan needs to take more risks with the team selection especially away from home in my view.Ā 

Edited by ian_marshall
  • Like 1

I was on duty at an under 13'sĀ  Birmingham v Forest v Cov v Sheffield Utd, academies tournament today.

Ā 

Entertaining and encouraging to see these kids giving it their all.

Ā 

From what I've heard on the radio, and read on here. I was probably at a more enjoyable event than ManU v LCFC

We are a poor goal-scoring team. Poor. This side is solidly above average most everywhere on the pitch, but it is time to be serious about pursuing world class players up front. When we won the title, we had 3 world class players, two of whom were attacking players who could score goals. Now we have no world class players.Ā We need to sign elite attacking players who score goals, and we need to look for those players this summer.Ā 

Ā 

UNTIL THEN RODGERS, PLAY YOUR BEST BLOODY LINEUP, WITH YOUR PLAYERS IN THEIR PROPER POSITIONS. 4-2-3-1 UNLESS PLAYING LIVERPOOL OR MAN CITY.

Ā 

Rodgers, wake the F up and stop playing two DMs, Maddison on the left, and start playing Harvey Barnes every game you twit. Why can our managers not see what is screaming obvious to everyone else? Two DMs is negative as F. Maddison out of position is negative as F. Every game we have played where we go away from the 4231 IT DOESN'T WORK. Our play in the 4-2-3-1 can be beautiful, but our 2 DM line-up cannot scoreĀ against anyone except aggressive teams w high lines. If we start the game with a 4231, itĀ gives us anĀ attacking mentality, and we likelyĀ win the game. Will he learn for next week? Or will he continue sending the message that we aren't good enough to play with teams like Man U without beingĀ excessively defensive?Ā 

Ā 

Guess we'll find out.

5 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Set up was far too negative. That United team were there for the taking and we've gifted them 3 points.Ā 

Ā 

I think this shows that we're still some way off off being a top six side. Have to beat teams in the traditional top six to break into it and so far we've taken one point from two games which isn't good enough really. Brendan needs to take more risks with the team selection especially away from home in my view.Ā 

I've been consistent in saying this over the years. I'd rather go for it and lose, than play negatively and scrape a draw. Give yourself aĀ chance to win by creating chances to win. When we were stuck at the bottom under Pearson i was saying it, and it finally clicked with himĀ late in the season and we actually tried to win games rather than contain teams, the rest is history. I understand the need to not be too open, but we've gone to negative to the point we're struggling to create real decent chances.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I am struggling, and I think the players are too, to see what kind of side we are. We are a possession side that can only really threaten on the counter, how does that work?Ā 

Ā 

We don't have any options out wide apart from full backs who then have to turn back, we don't seem to have options for Ndidi and Choudhury to pass forwards either despite Tielemans and Maddison being there. We need someone to run with the ball, surge through a space to create space for others. Maybe Praet can do that?Ā 

Gray is the only player we have with those skills.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vanity said:

We are a poor goal-scoring team. Poor. This side is solidly above average most everywhere on the pitch, but it is time to be serious about pursuing world class players up front. When we won the title, we had 3 world class players, two of whom were attacking players who could score goals. Now we have no world class players.Ā We need to sign elite attacking players who score goals, and we need to look for those players this summer.Ā 

Ā 

UNTIL THEN RODGERS, PLAY YOUR BEST BLOODY LINEUP, WITH YOUR PLAYERS IN THEIR PROPER POSITIONS. 4-2-3-1 UNLESS PLAYING LIVERPOOL OR MAN CITY.

Ā 

Rodgers, wake the F up and stop playing two DMs, Maddison on the left, and start playing Harvey Barnes every game you twit. Why can our managers not see what is screaming obvious to everyone else? Two DMs is negative as F. Maddison out of position is negative as F. Every game we have played where we go away from the 4231 IT DOESN'T WORK. Our play in the 4-2-3-1 can be beautiful, but our 2 DM line-up cannot scoreĀ against anyone except aggressive teams w high lines. If we start the game with a 4231, itĀ gives us anĀ attacking mentality, and we likelyĀ win the game. Will he learn for next week? Or will he continue sending the message that we aren't good enough to play with teams like Man U without beingĀ excessively defensive?Ā 

Ā 

Guess we'll find out.

Have beer (or whatever you use to relax) and chill the **** out.

• Like 1