Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Burnley 1 Post match thread

48 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Ironically, I'd say of all the club's currently in the league they play the most like we did when we won the league, just with worse players

Exactly.  Burnley has no Mahrez, no Kante, no Vardy (though their forwards are quite good at what they're asked to do).

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Burnley are too good to get relegated, as long as Dyche is around I doubt they'll go down. Insufferable as he is I think he'd a decent manager

Unless they try to become a possession side like Stoke. Without the money or quality players to make the change. A hard lesson.

49 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

.....sign him in January! - we know already he is a good character , an aerial threat - which we don't have - and a plan B goalthreat (ours currently away in the south of France) !!!!

Wholeheartedly agree. We should have signed that sort of player in the summer to get on the end of crosses, in particular from Chilwell. It will give us another option. Go for it in January

40 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I don't get why people slag off their style so much. There's plenty of ways to try and win a football match, Burnley play to their strengths. They are physical, they put the balls into the forwards at the earliest opportunity. They shoot a lot. And they don't **** about with sideways or backwards pointless aimless passing. You can only get so far playing the way they do obviously. But it's there best chance of getting results and surviving.

Yeah time wasting from the first minute is really great to see. Not seen a team resort to that level of time wasting in years

Guest Eamonn
2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

People need to grow up and stop whinging about Dyche and what he does.  He gets as much out of what his ownership offers him as any manager could, probably.  Burnley plays counterattacking football and cedes possession, yes - but they're still dangerous when they attack.  It's smart and practical management.

I agree. We did well out ceding possession and counter-attacking not so long ago.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Remember Vardy’s first 9 games?

I remember walking out of the Boro game in 2013 telling my Dad I hoped that was the last we'd see of Vardy for a while. Surprised there are still fans writing players off so early after the last few years. 

• Like 3

Just rewatched the first half.

I think both teams actually played quite well. Leicester had a lot of good attacking play, and Burnley were defensively very good, although outside of the brilliant play from Wood there was not much to see from them offensively. Leicester were a bit haphazard defensively however, sloppy in possession. Perez was not bad, he had a couple of not great moments but also linked up really nicely with Ricardo and Tielemans, especially earlier on in the half, and had great buildup.

We were good attacking, however. Sure we didn't get a ton of SOT, but there were several very dangerous plays outside the SOT - just one example, Barnes' shot which was going in is deflected by Tarkowski into Maddison who shoots, it's going in but his shot is deflected by Mee out for a corner. Chilwell and Barnes honestly had decent interplay although not fantastic, and we had some inventive and wellworked corners, the first one almost resulted in a Soyuncu tap-in if Maddison's low drilled pass in wasn't cleared at the last second by Tarkowski. Barnes honestly was decent, instrumental in Vardy's 1 on 1 with the goalie which he ulltimately missed, popped up decently here and there in the game, and a lovely cross, possibly our assist of the season so far (he has our goal and our assist of the season!).

Will now watch the second half.

Regarding the time wasting, I wonder if had the game been 2-2, would Moss have added more time?  4 minutes seemed pretty short considering the six subs, VAR check and time wasting ....... would have seemed unjust if Burnley had managed to grab a 96th minute equaliser when those extra mins were down to their earlier time wasting ....

I’m convinced that sentiment had nothing to do with Morgan’s appearance yesterday…

I would’ve done the same…. It worked a treat against Sheff Utd’s aerial attack and you would easily expected the same approach from Burnley…

Morgan was being rightfully praised for being a magnet for the high ball V Sheff…

it didn’t work this time but it certainly wasn’t naive or a dumb move…

5 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Whatever you want to level at Burnley, they play their system fantastically well, absolutely horrid team to play against, real bastards to breakdown and they always have one ball into the box that can be a goal.

How their fans tolerate it, yet alone celebrate it I don’t know. They spent half the game yesterday chanting “fancy football” for fvcks sake. I know it’s keeping them in the top tier but surely sooner or later they have to demand some sort of improvement and actual football.

Either way, for us to go 1-0 down and win against them is understated. Other than Man City and Liverpool, virtually all other clubs would falter in that situation, and that win really shows who we’re competing with this season. Fantastic win in the circumstance!

That's one of the reasons I think it'll be very interesting to see how Brighton do under Potter after having sacked. If they do well then maybe it will signal to the likes of Burnley and Palace that it is possible to compete without playing stodgy ultra defensive football. 

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

I’m convinced that sentiment had nothing to do with Morgan’s appearance yesterday…

I would’ve done the same…. It worked a treat against Sheff Utd’s aerial attack and you would easily expected the same approach from Burnley…

Morgan was being rightfully praised for being a magnet for the high ball V Sheff…

it didn’t work this time but it certainly wasn’t naive or a dumb move…

There was no need to change it this time. We'd gained control of the game. Rodgers simply outthought himself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There was no need to change it this time. We'd gained control of the game. Rodgers simply outthought himself.

There was a strong likelihood of balls being lumped in for Wood…. The logic seems sound seeing as Morgan is so strong in the air…. Genuinely felt it was a sensible move at the time

Anyway…. Hindsight and all that!

4 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

To those slagging off Burnley's style of play, we were hardly scintillating to watch ourselves yesterday. We spent the majority of the first 44 minutes just passing it along our back 4 in our own half. I'm all for pretty, passing football but that was just passing for the sake of passing with no incisiveness. We played well for a bit in the second half, especially when Gray came on, but then needlessly changed formation when on top and handed Burnley the initiative. Rodgers wasn't good tactically yesterday IMHO. I'll take the win and I'll take 3rd, but I still feel we're not quite getting the most out of this squad...yet.

We were trying to bring them out a bit.. they were ALL sitting so deep. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

We were trying to bring them out a bit.. they were ALL sitting so deep. 

They played with two up and the midfield pushed on to squeeze the space whilst we had it at the back ...... they were disciplined and whatever plans we had made to get into the final third beyond their midfield didn’t work too well 

12 minutes ago, sdb said:

Personally thought the Wes change was a great call. What wasn't was the fact that we've clearly not been practicing the system. We looked lost and gave up what momentum we had.

Same, at the time I thought it was a great idea. Wood was bullying Evans and Soyuncu and should've scored a few minutes before Wes came on. Wes' specialty is man marking big bastards so it was a smart change imo. Didn't work out too brilliantly but then you never know, if he didn't come on maybe they'd have scored. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Same, at the time I thought it was a great idea. Wood was bullying Evans and Soyuncu and should've scored a few minutes before Wes came on. Wes' specialty is man marking big bastards so it was a smart change imo. Didn't work out too brilliantly but then you never know, if he didn't come on maybe they'd have scored. 

Right player, wrong system. I would have gone Wes for cags. For all the amazing things cags has done, he did get bullied by Rodriguez and Wood yesterday. He needs to get on the weights. 

• Like 1

Second half rewatch:

The difference post and after Wes' substitution was incredibly stark. It wasn't necessarily his fault, but the side imploded, it was rather pathetic. Our defensive structure as well as our attacking structure collapsed and everyone was unsure what to do. Morgan also couldn't deal with Wood's disallowed goal at all which is really what he was subbed on for. Pre substitution, we were excellent, bar a small scare before the 50th minute, although we only carved out two really nice chances, the goal and Perez's miss. Onto Perez, he was largely anonymous outside that miss, but he did also essentially create the chance for himself with a smart pass to Ricardo and smart movement to get himself the space for the shot.

Maddison was beginning to look a little tired, so his substitution made sense. Gray had a solid substitution. We were lucky that the goal was disallowed, another VAR could have easily ruled that Evans wasn't getting to the ball anyway. However I won't say we were lucky to win, on the whole we were better, and passed up a tremendous oppurtunity to make it 3-1 when we were on the break with Pope in our box. Lots of positives to take away and hopefully we trounce Southampton, who on their day are a good side but generally are not great right now, I don't think they'll play a low block either so we should hopefully see some better performance.

On the whole, Burnley weren't bad, 6/10 for them and 7/10 for us.